Finley Bred Terriers

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He can call them what he wants, he feeds them. I dare say he doesn't call them anything but his terriers, it's other people who put labels on your kennels. The only person I've seen in modern times pu

I have had the pleasure of being in DFs company, both socially and in the field. I have been gifted pups and studs over bitches. Not once have I heard him describe his dogs as DFs terriers, also on wr

The man dug more than most could only dream of, they say madness is next to genius and he's as mad as a box of frogs. We've all got our own ideas on what suits us, some like them a bit rough, some li

Posted Images

i used another of DF Dog called Ben , a dog killer i found out later think he killed ginger and dingo , had a litter of 4 bitches never had harder bitches , i kept one called Raven ( i had 3 called raven easier when you have young children and a young one disappears ) didn't make it past 2 lost to ground her sister fluff is the hardest terrier i've seen a rough coated staff was her type , out of the both litters i bred high % of workers although all out if the ben litter where dead before breeding age and this is over 20 years ago , Df has been in hunt service all this time never heard anyone say his terriers where shit

P.S he had a dog off JP i bred Henry or harry any one see it work ?

• Like 2

i used another of DF Dog called Ben , a dog killer i found out later think he killed ginger and dingo , had a litter of 4 bitches never had harder bitches , i kept one called Raven ( i had 3 called raven easier when you have young children and a young one disappears ) didn't make it past 2 lost to ground her sister fluff is the hardest terrier i've seen a rough coated staff was her type , out of the both litters i bred high % of workers although all out if the ben litter where dead before breeding age and this is over 20 years ago , Df has been in hunt service all this time never heard anyone say his terriers where shit

P.S he had a dog off JP i bred Henry or harry any one see it work ?

Small rough red dog?

That not the one in NS's book Glyn? (Harry)

Thats one im thinking of. Small dog used on hunting days. Bloke i knew used him and another friend had bitch from the mating.

did the litter come to much spindolero?

can't remember off the top of my head............... :angel::angel:

i'm not trying to un-earth some holy grail , just wondering about one dog as i've said its a long time ago and it was called henry or harry i can't remember

edited to add maybe the dog got a name change or DNA lol

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 1

Out and out sounders are no good for quarry that's clued in,I had one here couple years back,had 56 digs over him towards the end of his second season,some very good digs in big places,but got caught one day and was never the same after,he made sure it was never goin to happen again and start letting stuff past."there's nothing wrong with a hard terrier but I've buried a few tat were too hard for there own good,some handle themselves better than others

There's hyard and as you know there's stupid hard which are of little use in any mans yard,no point in fedding a dog for 12 months to only get a couple of digs through the season if your lucky.I have terriers here that can be dug to most wks even though they are mute or as near to mute as you will get,might sound a little while geting to there game but then it stops,but they dont try to kill whats in front of them,happy to take hold and lay there with it.My older bitch is different,she tries her best to go through quarry and is never happy with the back end of the quarry.I remember diging to your little smasher dog and to me he was the right type,could up the gears when needed and although hard to a point not reckless.I have a black dog here,no particular breeding that is more than happy to bay away but if it comes to him he will then take hold and the baying is finished.We all know whats required to dig educated stuff and i stick by what i said,they wont be dug with sounders,bayer-mixer types yes but not sounders.
From what I read on here Fatman is that very few release, so is there yards/dogs out there claiming or even believing that they have the holy grail in dogs, how would these dogs fair out when entered to quarry that has been dug to 3 or 4 times? When I was a nipper(pre ban) I remember badgers being released time and time again, these were dug to several time a year, men knew the type of dog they had and wanted.

There's plenty of yerds with dogs that have never been tested,a lot of lads had no interest in diging badgers even in pre-ban times.Back then the lads that were diging heavy game did not like or want there terriers finding fox as in a big tube a hardish terrier will make little work of a fox but will also then try do the same with a way tougher opponent and suffer for its recklessness.Good educated stuff wiil not be dug with sounders,if its been released a couple of times and knows the crack it will push by the sounder types,its the last few inches of the dig that the game will put the presure on and thats where a terrier needs to be able to up the gears but that was all in the past many years ago so we just have to settle for what we have.

• Like 2

Fatman me and my freind have a game keeper/hunter freind who lets us dig his badgers at pleasure and release them because they do no harm on his patch to return the favour we control the foxes ther is also a university what wants data / information collecting on the badgers and my freind who I dig with she is in contact with them they want us to dig them tag them take notes on health take samples and release them again it's somthing I am really looking forwards to being a part of in the next few years

• Like 10

Not entirely true Fatman .I remember clearly dogs that knew the difference and usually thrashed a fox being the week opponent it is ,but back to form on badgers .What yards you referring to as surely lads need to know who breeds without testing .Not a go mate just statements that need clarification .

• Like 2