Finley Bred Terriers

Surely though TW the men who were around NS at the time and are still going strong since hes packed in deserve some recognition too?

only a few of the ns brigade deserve recognition! 1 or 2 members of the brigade who have there own following, are just hell bent on cashing in on ns hard work!

Not new as with any 'line' or 'type' of terrier.

With that in mind can you really blame NS on keeping things close to his chest and enjoying watching people being led up the garden path?

believe it or not theirs a yard down this part of the country that has nothing but NS in it.NS himself calls their the odd time to visit.the yard.the dogs are worked hard and a top class tight breeding process is in place by a man that knows what he is doing.

• Like 2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He can call them what he wants, he feeds them. I dare say he doesn't call them anything but his terriers, it's other people who put labels on your kennels. The only person I've seen in modern times pu

I have had the pleasure of being in DFs company, both socially and in the field. I have been gifted pups and studs over bitches. Not once have I heard him describe his dogs as DFs terriers, also on wr

The man dug more than most could only dream of, they say madness is next to genius and he's as mad as a box of frogs. We've all got our own ideas on what suits us, some like them a bit rough, some li

Posted Images

Out and out sounders are no good for quarry that's clued in,I had one here couple years back,had 56 digs over him towards the end of his second season,some very good digs in big places,but got caught one day and was never the same after,he made sure it was never goin to happen again and start letting stuff past."there's nothing wrong with a hard terrier but I've buried a few tat were too hard for there own good,some handle themselves better than others

There's hyard and as you know there's stupid hard which are of little use in any mans yard,no point in fedding a dog for 12 months to only get a couple of digs through the season if your lucky.I have terriers here that can be dug to most wks even though they are mute or as near to mute as you will get,might sound a little while geting to there game but then it stops,but they dont try to kill whats in front of them,happy to take hold and lay there with it.My older bitch is different,she tries her best to go through quarry and is never happy with the back end of the quarry.I remember diging to your little smasher dog and to me he was the right type,could up the gears when needed and although hard to a point not reckless.I have a black dog here,no particular breeding that is more than happy to bay away but if it comes to him he will then take hold and the baying is finished.We all know whats required to dig educated stuff and i stick by what i said,they wont be dug with sounders,bayer-mixer types yes but not sounders.

• Like 7

I agree fatman,nothing I hate more than reckless terriers and do you know what I find with these types they fuuk up more hunts by not being able to find after game moving because they are to highly strung and there's plenty of these kicking about but they keep men happy

• Like 2

Out and out sounders are no good for quarry that's clued in,I had one here couple years back,had 56 digs over him towards the end of his second season,some very good digs in big places,but got caught one day and was never the same after,he made sure it was never goin to happen again and start letting stuff past."there's nothing wrong with a hard terrier but I've buried a few tat were too hard for there own good,some handle themselves better than others

There's hyard and as you know there's stupid hard which are of little use in any mans yard,no point in fedding a dog for 12 months to only get a couple of digs through the season if your lucky.I have terriers here that can be dug to most wks even though they are mute or as near to mute as you will get,might sound a little while geting to there game but then it stops,but they dont try to kill whats in front of them,happy to take hold and lay there with it.My older bitch is different,she tries her best to go through quarry and is never happy with the back end of the quarry.I remember diging to your little smasher dog and to me he was the right type,could up the gears when needed and although hard to a point not reckless.I have a black dog here,no particular breeding that is more than happy to bay away but if it comes to him he will then take hold and the baying is finished.We all know whats required to dig educated stuff and i stick by what i said,they wont be dug with sounders,bayer-mixer types yes but not sounders.
From what I read on here Fatman is that very few release, so is there yards/dogs out there claiming or even believing that they have the holy grail in dogs, how would these dogs fair out when entered to quarry that has been dug to 3 or 4 times? When I was a nipper(pre ban) I remember badgers being released time and time again, these were dug to several time a year, men knew the type of dog they had and wanted.
  • Like 1

From what I read on here Fatman is that very few release, so is there yards/dogs out there claiming or even believing that they have the holy grail in dogs, how would these dogs fair out when entered to quarry that has been dug to 3 or 4 times? When I was a nipper(pre ban) I remember badgers being released time and time again, these were dug to several time a year, men knew the type of dog they had and wanted.

We dug the same one for a long time,and he would be ready for us LOL.We also took people to him who claimed to have good dogs,most failed.

• Like 2
post-97677-0-59305100-1489780104_thumb.png this young dog starts a little rough at the start of the season but mid way threw learns to hold the cheek hoping he learns to do it from the start of season and he whuld get a lot more digs to him think sometimes it down to the animal infront Edited by Zilverhaze
  • Like 8

attachicon.gifIMG_1106.PNG this young dog starts a little rough at the start of the season but mid way threw learns to hold the cheek hoping he learns to do it from the start of season and he whuld get a lot more digs to him think sometimes it down to the animal infront

I'm not busy this wkend mate ;-)

• Like 1

Anyone else had experience from breeding baying types and culling hard dogs over many generations. What is the outcome compared with breeding from a hard dog? Do you still get the steady types or does it lead to standoffish workers?

I honestly think it's a lottery you can put 2 steady types together and get iron hard ones and vice versa and get steady ones , I've a dog here steady as clockwork bred from 2 id never of dared to kennel

I don't have the book, DF keeps a kennel of terriers that he inherited from NS. He's bred some himself and he's used his dogs over plenty of bitches, if that makes them his then Finlay bred terriers they are.

think ns had border terrier before one of the lads from Barnsley showed him the black dogs, way back in the 80s, so were do we go from there lol