Recoiling

So.

Is a shooter of a un tuned spring rifle... a better shot than one with a uber tuned one?

This perhaps brings up what 'is a good shot'... so is a good shot one that can shoot any rifle as well as any other? One that can shoot a utter shed of a rifle well? Or a FT champion with a monster of a 77 that's liquid smooth.

To me, a great shot, is one that shoots a utter shed of a rifle bang on... imagine, the rifle kicks like a mule but the shooter is "good enough" to control all that movement and extract accuracy from it.

Hence, why I think, a shooter of a standard spring rifle, is a better shot, or marksmen as they say, than one that's shoots a super tund rifle.

Dave down the road, 30 year old BSA meteor, 1/2" groups at 30 yards. Barry, lives next door, FT world champ. 77 that is like a PCP. I bet you Dave could shoot Barry's rifle as well as he does, but I guarantee it would be the same the other way round.

An sample there, but you see what I mean.

• Like 2

It all depends on the person Rez, how many can handle a 1970s or even earlier car without practice? Power Steering good or Bad? Totally understand where you are coming from Rez, but horses for courses. I would Like to see today's footballers play on the pitches and use the same football and boots we had to use in my youth. Some can and some can not or will not even try.

All the best

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 3

Good, interesting thread Rez :hmm: .

When I first got the 100 KT/ KS I part chopped my FWB Sport in , :cray: - never again, I`ve brought in two FWB Sport rifles since, the 127 and 124, (.22 and .177 cal`s).

My two pence worth on this, is that a pcp " bridges over" mistakes many shooters make in their "building of the shot".

A spring rifle has character that you must learn to harmonise yourself with :yes: . A pcp does not have character :no: .

Spring rifle shooting takes a lot of practice to become " A GOOD SHOT"

A pcp "gives you" accuracy, instantly, without practice.

For me, hunting with my spring rifles gives me far more of a "challenge" and buzz than my pcp`s - but saying that, if a pest control job has to be done, I would pick the 100`s up first, every time.

Here`s one extreme to the other.

pcp post-85710-0-30189000-1489756172_thumb.jpg

1979 untouched FWB Sport 124

post-85710-0-57591800-1489756189.jpg

atb Mark.

• Like 2

Good, interesting thread Rez :hmm: .

When I first got the 100 KT/ KS I part chopped my FWB Sport in , :cray: - never again, I`ve brought in two FWB Sport rifles since, the 127 and 124, (.22 and .177 cal`s).

My two pence worth on this, is that a pcp " bridges over" mistakes many shooters make in their "building of the shot".

A spring rifle has character that you must learn to harmonise yourself with :yes: . A pcp does not have character :no: .

Spring rifle shooting takes a lot of practice to become " A GOOD SHOT"

A pcp "gives you" accuracy, instantly, without practice.

For me, hunting with my spring rifles gives me far more of a "challenge" and buzz than my pcp`s - but saying that, if a pest control job has to be done, I would pick the 100`s up first, every time.

Here`s one extreme to the other.

pcp attachicon.gifIMG_0073.JPG

1979 untouched FWB Sport 124

attachicon.gifIMG_0446.JPG

atb Mark.

Mark Williams taking all the credit for his dogs shooting and for all I know his photography.

All the best Mark

PS. Good shooting

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 3

Hi new to forum I bought a remington express xp I like it for the money and mine had terrible recoil struggled to get decent groupings changed the scope thought it was that till fella at the range checked power on his chrony 22ftlb in .22 that was bought brand new now ive stripped it fettled it and cut spring down much better and at legal limit goes to show you have to check them when bought brand new accuracy much better can hit barn door now

Welcome to the forum Rodey :thumbs: .

22 ft/lbs in a .22 springer !!! Wow that roughly gives an average 16g .22 travelling at 750 ft/sec.

What sort of fettling did you have to do ?

Cut the spring down ? :o

One of the gunsmith type lads will be along soon.

Anyways, atb,

Mark.

Hi mark yeh I stripped it down cut the spring a pain really cause I had to do a coil at a time heat the end close it down so it sat flat then take it gun shop to check it till it was within legal limit. I deburred it all inside polished up piston and trigger sears surprising the size of burrs that are left on something with moving components then put chromoly grease on spring and trigger unit runs real smooth happy with it now. Want tx200hc next and have a go at hft that looks a laugh

• Like 1