Recoiling

Is a shooter of a standard recoiling HW97 (for example)

a better shot than a shooter of a tuned HW97? (For example)

It dawned on me a bit when I watched a uber tuned 97 on YouTube... this thing did not move. It is literally the holy grail. But, why own such a tuned springer airrifle, when I can shoot a PCP? Is springer tuning on the high end level blurring the lines between PCP and a spring?

Ya have to answer quick, admins will be along soon thinking it's a shit joke, sort it as 'locked', but secretly mean 'pinned' :D And actually delete it. Shame.

• Like 3

I think we all strive to make our springers act like our pcp,s no recoil and better accuracy

but like your self i like to feel the sharp thud in my shoulder or the quick snap when the trigger is squeezed

it homes our skills and makes for a better shooter

BUT WE STILL TRY AND MAKE THEM SHOOT WITH NO RECOIL LOL

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

I reckon if they're getting the same results at the target, then yes, the shooter of the unturned springer is the better shooter.

I'm the same as you and Mac - I like my springers to feel like springers. The recoil gives a challenge :thumbs:

• Like 2

Hmmm A thought provoking topic Rez.

For me, I wanted my TX to be smoother shooting because I found it very difficult to be consistent so in that case I had two issues, firstly that I was a crap shot with an untamed springer and secondly I wanted to enjoy using the TX which I didn't before Charlie Caller did his magic.

With the above in mind, I would say the man who can shoot an untuned springer with serious accuracy is a better shot than someone like me who needed the gun tuned before I was able to produce the goods.

Phil

• Like 2

For me, I wanted my TX to be smoother shooting because I found it very difficult to be consistent so in that case I had two issues, firstly that I was a crap shot with an untamed springer and secondly I wanted to enjoy using the TX which I didn't before Charlie Caller did his magic.

With the above in mind, I would say the man who can shoot an untuned springer with serious accuracy is a better shot than someone like me who needed the gun tuned before I was able to produce the goods.

Phil

You just wait until you shoot that air sporter Phil :yes:

Nice is not the word mate

• Like 2

got to admit i far more enjoy hunting with a home tuned 95 than i ever did the tx, far to heavy to lug about!!

shot the tx on sunday and its a mega accurate rifle but there was no feeling of loss!

cant see me buying another heavyweight and the extra care needed using a lighter rifle makes the shot far more satisfying :thumbs:

atb si

• Like 1

Phil

You just wait until you shoot that air sporter Phil :yes:

Nice is not the word mate

Looking forward to it Jimmy.

Just bought a Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO scope from another forum today, should be spot on for the Airsporter matey an not too heavy.

Phil

Edited by philpot

got to admit i far more enjoy hunting with a home tuned 95 than i ever did the tx, far to heavy to lug about!!

shot the tx on sunday and its a mega accurate rifle but there was no feeling of loss!

cant see me buying another heavyweight and the extra care needed using a lighter rifle makes the shot far more satisfying :thumbs:

atb si

Totally agree Si,- the TX "is not" a rifle to lug about the fields etc. :no:

For the static hunter, the TX 200 is very hard to better ( for me).

The hunting lads who want a walk about, yes again, the 95 is well up there but if you get the chance, try a legendary FWB Sport for walk about`s and general all style hunting.

Each to their own, I know but for static only- on sticks, " heavier the better" (for me)

atb Mark

• Like 4

atb si

Totally agree Si,- the TX "is not" a rifle to lug about the fields etc. :no:

For the static hunter, the TX 200 is very hard to better ( for me).

The hunting lads who want a walk about, yes again, the 95 is well up there but if you get the chance, try a legendary FWB Sport for walk about`s and general all style hunting.

Each to their own, I know but for static only- on sticks, " heavier the better" (for me)

Got to agree mark there fine looking rifles and there's one on freeads at the mo but the German

Classic is yours :)

I'm gonna find a heap and see what I can do with it

Atb si

atb Mark

An interesting question Jamie.

I think a springer should "talk" to you via it's felt recoil. My HW80 .22 cracks off her shots with predictable recoil and I find it not difficult to control. Hence I have a rifle that is powerful, accurate as I can be and feels right at home with me when I'm out with it. For some perhaps, it would be a bit too much wallop but for me, it's perfect.

My HW77 .22 is all factory standard internals but fettled really well. It made a marked difference in performance when this was done. It went from being a superb field hunter to an outstanding one with a smoother, more refined recoil and smoother cocking and that fantastic Rekord trigger is set perfectly for let-off.. I'm fortunate in having a great deal of experience and practice with shooting springers and fettling at least, helped bring out a bit more of this incredible rifle's accuracy potential.

It also depends on calibre. .22 being a generally smoother action to shoot than .177 rifle spring rifle actions. My HW97K is a tuned rifle with a Sandwell Field Sports kit intalled. It's snappy and gives a bit of recoil at my shoulder and that's just fine for my liking. THe main thing it is very accurate and very consistant and that's where it matters.

I think on ballance, a tuned rifle doesn't make you a better shot with it, over an untuned one. But it helps to refine a definite skill for spring rifle shooting you may already possess. A smoother shooting rifle means you can relax a little more and focus your shooting on shot placement, rather than have you trying to predict where the let-off point on the trigger is and focus harder on managing recoil.

Tuning a spring rifle well does not necessarily imply you'll be a better shot with it, but, it makes the whole experience of shooting a spring rifle over a day's hunting that much more enjoyable and relaxing.

• Like 4

Shooting recoiling rifles is more fun, more difficult than a PCP I agree but no matter what you do to a springer you will always get some "feedback" which tells you something is happening.

We all want to reduce felt recoil but not eliminate it, that would negate the point of a springer in the first place.

Simon, in his post above has it spot on. Tune a rifle to fit you and your expectations and you will bond with it, it will be the first rifle you reach for and you'll trust it.

I still remember one of our members, Phil, otherwise known as Mawders visiting me to have a look at a Prosport that he got from Zini, I spent an afternoon stripping it, polishing and cleaning, a few minor tweaks and adjustments and then I reassembled it and handed it back to Phil without even firing it. He took a few shots on the garden range and the look on his face was priceless!

I think the video of Si and Phil at Glevum with the PS is still available, bottletops at 55 yards!

Ive been around for YEARS doin this shit .........................But this guy knows his stuff !!!!!!!! how are ya old pal , hows family and life goin for ya ? Hows me Julie n Carol ?

• Like 1