• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am still hanging my hams from last year.  The last pig went in December 2016. These hams were left in brine for 3 weeks then hung in January. I got them down in August and sliced them usin

A friend brought his meat slicer round today and we took one of the new hams down and sliced it for bacon. The bacon slicer was an Andrew James at appx £60. It did very well with a large lump of

The meat from the first pigs arrived tonight. This was £50 per pig for joints then an additional £30 for the sausages - worked at £1 per pound processed. Plus the £20 slaughterhouse fee, though that

Posted Images

We were worried about 'boar taint' and some butchers won't deal with boars at all in my locality but after doing some research and speaking to the Environmental Officer, it looks like in the main this is caused by pigs under duress. For instance overcrowding, or transported across the country.

I am sure it does exist but I have boars and gilts in my freezer and you just can't tell and none of last year's members reported any 'off smelling' or 'off tasting' meat.

no mate your enviroment officer is wrong.it to do with when they reach sexual maturity.i'll bore you with the details when i've got more time.

in male animals the meat may possess an abnormal odour and taste,which may be so marked as to lower its marketability and depreciate its value.this sexual odour,which is specific for each animal and may be described as resembling stale urine,is markedly apperant in the boar and male goats,though of little or no significance in bulls and rams.this sexual odour in boars is caused by a steroid substance androsterone,the odour becomes apparent in the flesh when the carcass exceeds 63kg weight,though it can be prevented by treatment of the animal with oestrogens.incastrated boars,i e stags,the degree of odour depends on the length of time between castration and slaughter,as well as on the age of the pig and the length of time it has been used for breeding,it is most marked in older,courser animals.boar odour presists in flesh for a considerable time after the animal is castrated and can be completely obviated only if the boar is castrated before its 4 months old;about 11 days after castration the meat will be odourless but the boar odour persists in the fat for 10 weeks before it finally disappears.in denmark boar carcasses are marked with a boar stamp which draws attention to the fact that the meat is not suitable for ordinary cooking of frying.

male sexual odour is most apperant in the meat immediately after slaughter,particularly in the fatty tissue and while the carcass is still warm.the odour largely disappers as the carcass cools but may reappear when the meat is cooked.

• Like 1

Rude Pig

I have a very rude pig. He has been rude since he was 2 months old and now at 4 months old he isn't getting any better.

It started when he would mount the others. Then it was mounting and jiggling.

now he has his willy out. It can be disturbing for visitors and I am not keen myself.

'Shaggy will be going earlier than the others but is he likely to carry board taint or is he just eager?

• 1 month later...

I see more and more folk are getting into pig keeping or buying a share in a pig

Yes it's just a shame they still have to go off to abattoir , be nice if there was a mobile one , that just did it with a rifle on the spot , , saw it on tv they do it in Australia , animal new nothing at all ,

Once when we where out the dogs wouldn't come away from the side of the road , went over to move them and there was a pigs head with a bullet hole as a center parting , that raised more questions than answers , was it somebody who raised it ?, was it poached ?. Why would you just dump the head and no the rest you couldn't use ?.

• 2 weeks later...

My 3 old spots are growing well. Have left a neighbour to feed them for a few week and while I'm on my travels. This made me chuckle this morning, can't see me getting mine to the abattoir this way !

post-31417-0-26950100-1503473710_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We are getting close to the end now, possibly mid-October. The recent rain has caused a big problem, deep sloppy mud is making it hard to walk around the field.

When you are stuck up to your knees and 14 stone giants are sprinting towards you, it can get frightening.

Muddy%20Pig%20Field_zpstfjndqr7.jpg?t=15

So I have extended the run, just by a bit. So I can move the feeding troughs and fill them and move out of the way.

IMG_5754_zpspizowvgj.jpg?t=1505167904

They are getting big. These were 5 weeks old when they arrived at the start of March.

Big%20Pigs_zpsiecjrxgh.jpg?t=1505167904

We are getting close to the end now, possibly mid-October. The recent rain has caused a big problem, deep sloppy mud is making it hard to walk around the field.

When you are stuck up to your knees and 14 stone giants are sprinting towards you, it can get frightening.

Muddy%20Pig%20Field_zpstfjndqr7.jpg?t=15

So I have extended the run, just by a bit. So I can move the feeding troughs and fill them and move out of the way.

IMG_5754_zpspizowvgj.jpg?t=1505167904

They are getting big. These were 5 weeks old when they arrived at the start of March.

Big%20Pigs_zpsiecjrxgh.jpg?t=1505167904

Chuffin Photobucket. they've gone capitalistic.

post-101455-0-95883300-1505334663_thumb.jpg

post-101455-0-36630700-1505334774_thumb.jpg
post-101455-0-74338000-1505334836_thumb.jpg
  • Like 4