• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am still hanging my hams from last year.  The last pig went in December 2016. These hams were left in brine for 3 weeks then hung in January. I got them down in August and sliced them usin

A friend brought his meat slicer round today and we took one of the new hams down and sliced it for bacon. The bacon slicer was an Andrew James at appx £60. It did very well with a large lump of

The meat from the first pigs arrived tonight. This was £50 per pig for joints then an additional £30 for the sausages - worked at £1 per pound processed. Plus the £20 slaughterhouse fee, though that

Posted Images

We were worried about 'boar taint' and some butchers won't deal with boars at all in my locality but after doing some research and speaking to the Environmental Officer, it looks like in the main this is caused by pigs under duress. For instance overcrowding, or transported across the country.

I am sure it does exist but I have boars and gilts in my freezer and you just can't tell and none of last year's members reported any 'off smelling' or 'off tasting' meat.

no mate your enviroment officer is wrong.it to do with when they reach sexual maturity.i'll bore you with the details when i've got more time.

• Like 1

The tractor is a Ferguson TEF20 diesel. 1960. The Land Rover is a Series III 1972 2250 petrol.

These old beasts are still fit for purpose and cheaper to buy and run than you think.

I share the tractor with a friend. I got it to use it as a tractor. He got it to go to shows.

I think Fergies - because they made so many - range from £800 for a rough runner to about £8000 for something to coo over

Mine was a little bit more than a rough runner. We have done the kingpins, serviced the brakes. Got it starting from the start button. Full lubrication swap. replaced the rough and rusty tinware.

There are still many jobs to do but it is mostly sound, and lots of fun

• Like 3

We were worried about 'boar taint' and some butchers won't deal with boars at all in my locality but after doing some research and speaking to the Environmental Officer, it looks like in the main this is caused by pigs under duress. For instance overcrowding, or transported across the country.

I am sure it does exist but I have boars and gilts in my freezer and you just can't tell and none of last year's members reported any 'off smelling' or 'off tasting' meat.

no mate your enviroment officer is wrong.it to do with when they reach sexual maturity.i'll bore you with the details when i've got more time.

Hmm. At least with boars, they grow quicker than gilts. I will send mine in when they are about right in weight but not getting too jiggy with the females.

Poorly Pig

I noticed one of my gilts (girls) was a bit sluggish on Thursday morning, teatime she seemed a bit better. Friday morning sluggish again and maybe some staining at the rear but I couldn't be sure. Friday night, back in with the pack and though she was eating, she kept wandering off.

Saturday morning. Blood staining round her anus and blood in her poo. Then she went and lay in the pig ark.

None of the other pigs is displaying ill feeling.

So. Rang the vet and this really nice, early twenties, girl came. Took piggy's temperature, only slightly raised. No signs of fighting or wounding. Blood is fresh and bright red in colour, so not like a swallowed piece of glass that has been slicing its way through.

So. I held a squealing piggy and the vet gave her a jab. I don't know what the name of the medicine she gave was, will wait for the invoice (weekend call out, oh why didn't I ring on Friday). The jab was an antibiotic and anti inflammatory.

The vet left me a needle and said, this should clear it up but if no real improvement, stick the other dose in.

So. Saturday evening and Sunday morning, no more blood but still poorly pig. Sunday mid afternoon, eating a bit, wandering less. Sunday night, well, not the last at the race to the food trough, barging and pushing like the others. Not wandering off.

So, fingers crossed, that will be it.

• Like 1

Good luck with it mate. Just ordered 3 old spot weaners, haven't done them for a couple of years and looking forward to them arriving. Proper characters are pigs.......

Good luck with it mate. Just ordered 3 old spot weaners, haven't done them for a couple of years and looking forward to them arriving. Proper characters are pigs.......

Yes they are great. I wondered about getting some sheep but all that bum, teeth, shearing, feet palaver. Goats are sheep plus escaping. Cows, too big. Alpacas, tall sheep but too expensive and would need beefier fencing.

Pigs are easier than hens, and so much fun. Mine are 8 weeks old now. They are still on Sow & Weaner feed but can cope with chopped carrots as well.

I got the price of feed down to £6.10 a sack for Farmgate Sow & Weaner. I bought 20 sacks but only draw off as I need them.

it's a bit late now but next time cut there nuts off if your going to get them to 16/18 stone.that will make the meat taste better.i'm not saying all pigs but when some pigs reach about 110kg dead weight you can taste it's from a boar.

i agree gb

Boar taint is age related not weight related, as rule of thumb anything under 12 months is fine, don't let them go over

That is good to know. Mine won't be with me after 10 months. I don't like to keep them when the weather worsens. Really I am nervous having them around when it is bonfire night with all the night time disturbances. It is like the blitz for a week.

More Poorly Pigs

Two different ones.

One was throwing up and the other, sluggish like the last one and going back to the hut.

I got the vet out immediately this time.

You read that vomiting is followed by death but the vet wasn't concerned. He said it was guzzling its food too quickly and sure enough it was running around and feeding again soon after. Bulimic pigs, who'd have thought?

The other took more effort. 3 doses of anti biotic - no change. One dose of Norodine, and it started coming round. Now, you wouldn't be able to tell which pigs have been poorly.

Me however. I injured by right arm moving the pig hut a month ago. Wrestling the pig to catch it for its injections has sprained by other arm. Bloody hell.

• Like 1

Quite apart from being a cissy, this sort of thing is what puts me off the idea of animal husbandry. All the effort and worry and responsability.

Having said that, totes jealous and admiring. Can't you get together with mr gain or someone who knows charcuterie and do a thl line of delicious things?

• Like 1

Well, I think I am a bit small scale but I am tempted to do some butchering night school. Afterall, it's only like cutting up a body....... that's a joke.

10 members in this year's Pig Club plus me.

All pigs back to full health. Fingers crossed.