Favourite 12 Cartridge

32 of #5 will do pretty much anything you need.

I tend to go 32g, #5, 2.5" and fibre wad of whatever is cheapest because I can run them through any of my 12's so I only need one belt / cartridge bag and I don't get that "oh crap" moment when my short chamber gun is taken out with 3" cartridges!

There's no such thing as an all round cartridge in my book. Depending on what I'm after I'll have 30g#6, 32g#5, 40g#4 or 36gBB.

Even depends what gun I have. I'm not much of a fan of shooting these RC HPFs out of my O/U (give me a headache! LOL) but they're great out the auto.

Walshie / alsone

What range is sensible , for 42x1. On the fox , with out over stepping the mark ?

Atb

Personally I wouldn't go above 40 yards or so. I'm sure it would still kill beyond that, but the pattern is starting to open up.

Walshie / alsone

What range is sensible , for 42x1. On the fox , with out over stepping the mark ?

Atb

Personally I wouldn't go above 40 yards or so. I'm sure it would still kill beyond that, but the pattern is starting to open up.

Yeah I'd have said 30-40 max.

It's not what you can kill at but what range you can consistently cleanly kill at. As Walshie says, beyond 30 the pattern opens up so it's less hits plus each hit has less energy which makes it increasingly harder to guarantee a sure fire humane kill.

If you want to shoot fox at ranges beyond those mentioned, a rifle is a better bet.

• Like 1