It's Official, Foxes Are Not Afraid Of Terriers.

You may go back to scratch with your breeding program Neil.

There used to be a forum Liam about 12 or 13 years ago called "The BullTerrier Times."

You'd have loved it, loads of history on the old Irish Staffords etc.

It was ran by a lad from London,(I think) called Mario and one day he asked did anyone use their Staffs on the lamp for foxes ?

Me and my big mouth replied to not ask such stupid questions because if a Staff could catch a fox then foxes would be extinct. A stupid question.

A couple of days later I was exercising about 5 terriers with that pit bull ,Pepper (she was around 30 lbs) when the terriers mobbed a fox in a ditch but didn't hold him.

He ran down the middle of a big field and Pepper pulled him down fair and square on the run.

I had to eat my words (although I didn't tell the boys on the forum.).

I was lucky too. Where Pepper caught her fox was near an active Badger sett I didn't know about. The Fox was heading for it and I nearly had 5 terriers and a Pit Bull in it, :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek: .

Fit ones were good for a burst of speed,the only thing mine pulled down was a very pissed of Mule.

Mules and Ass's have a scent very similar to deer and a lot of dogs love to hunt them (who can't resist a smelly ass ?) and they can be hard to break dogs to.

I had a black terrier ,Chance, who winded one one time and attacked it.

This mule belonged to a school teacher and was about 50 yards from his house.

Chance stuck to the mules nose and I couldn't catch either of them. The mule was shaking it's head and rearing up and down.

It ended up throwing Chance through the air and he got knocked out when he hit the ground.

I ran to pick up Chance and noticed I was being watched. It was the school teacher and I took my eye of Chance while starting to apologize Chance came through and attacked again.

The mule knocked Chance out again and I picked him up.

I started to apologize again to the mules owner but he asked me to drop Chance again as it was the best battle he'd ever seen and admired the courage of the dog.

I kept Chance in my arms and was glad too as the teacher then told me that the mule was around 30 years old.

How the poor hoor didn't die of a heart attack I'll never know ,LOL.

• Like 4

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well not mine anyways, LOL. I went for a ramble this morning as it was getting bright bringing a couple of terriers with me. In the second field here was a large dog fox rooting so I crouched down b

Fox knew your terriers,knew he was safe as f**k.

As has been said before, the genuine hunter / countryman / fieldsport lover has maximum respect for the quarry and can appreciate and respect what fascinating animals they are when watched in differen

After writing that post heard lurchers and Russell bitch going off.Went out with a torch.Three foxes standing up against chicken wire fence around my yard with dogs going ballistic.Theyed walked across a fairly big open paddock.I locked the terrier up and went to release the runners but the foxes had pissed off.The terrier's on heat at the moment.Had foxes hanging round when bitches are in season before but these looked like they were on a suicide mission.Is this common behaviour?

It's an old wives tale that a fox will approach a bitch in heat and manys a man claims to have tied a hot bitch to a tree and let the fox cover her.

But the truth is that dogs are canines and foxes are vulpines. It can't happen.

It's like us always slagging of the Welsh for being sheep shaggers but in truth they don't do it that often.

I knew they couldn't reproduce but,have you any idea why they would approach 2 whippet/stags and a terrier which have killed foxes before.Could they see the dogs as a prey item as coyotes in usa do.I have a mate in Sydney that was losing one rotty pup a night,he thought it was rats taking the newborn pups .Turned out to be fox living in a park across the road.

After writing that post heard lurchers and Russell bitch going off.Went out with a torch.Three foxes standing up against chicken wire fence around my yard with dogs going ballistic.Theyed walked across a fairly big open paddock.I locked the terrier up and went to release the runners but the foxes had pissed off.The terrier's on heat at the moment.Had foxes hanging round when bitches are in season before but these looked like they were on a suicide mission.Is this common behaviour?

It's an old wives tale that a fox will approach a bitch in heat and manys a man claims to have tied a hot bitch to a tree and let the fox cover her.

It's like us always slagging of the Welsh for being sheep shaggers but in truth they don't do it that often.

Can't speak for my fellow taffs but I have my favourites Megan, Bronwen and Angharad. Right I'm off out now where's my wellies!!!
  • Like 4

Can't speak for my fellow taffs but I have my favourites Megan, Bronwen and Angharad. Right I'm off out now where's my wellies!!!
just had to mention the rugby last night Neil WALES WALES!
  • Like 2

There used to be a forum Liam about 12 or 13 years ago called "The BullTerrier Times."

It was ran by a lad from London,(I think) called Mario and one day he asked did anyone use their Staffs on the lamp for foxes ?

Me and my big mouth replied to not ask such stupid questions because if a Staff could catch a fox then foxes would be extinct. A stupid question.

A couple of days later I was exercising about 5 terriers with that pit bull ,Pepper (she was around 30 lbs) when the terriers mobbed a fox in a ditch but didn't hold him.

He ran down the middle of a big field and Pepper pulled him down fair and square on the run.

I was lucky too. Where Pepper caught her fox was near an active Badger sett I didn't know about. The Fox was heading for it and I nearly had 5 terriers and a Pit Bull in it, :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek: .

Don't be daft Neil. everyone on here knows that a full bull won't go to ground...

Had a few instances this Autumn / Winter walking the dogs on an evening just out the back of my place having foxes calling and the dogs shooting off after them, eventually getting them back and then starting the walk back and the fox appearing behind us calling again..... dogs off again after old Reynard and me stood like a numpty in the dark listening to the dogs speaking off into the distance! This happened two or three times in one night before i got them all back on the leads like the fox was just wanting a run about.

Another evening I'd been out the back walking the pups over to check a few rabbity spots across the horse fields out the back I see a fox wandering up the hedge line towards where I was heading.... i squatted down and got the pups to me and on the couples and watched it go about it's business for a few minutes then i walked back to the hedge i had pushed through and along to where the fox had walked. Pup's began straining on the lead and whimpering as we got on the foxes line and it stopped, looked round at us and sat staring at us until we got within 30 yards before casually stretching and carrying on. I followed on, had a walk round the small bit of land then back round the substation and seeing a fox on the side field, same one or another i don't know, but the pup's now off the lead got wind of it and away they went like wailing banshee's crashing through the bushes, coming back 10 minutes later, tongues trailing on the floor. I'm on the phone to my missus walking off with the dogs following, i look round and the fox is following us not bothered in the slightest, when i stopped.... it stopped and sat down.... start walking and it trotted after us then the pups took off after it again, lost it and it reappeared again???

• Like 2

Good post Stevolad.

I'm convinced that all hunted quarry don't feel threatened until just before they're caught or put under serious pressure.

7 or 8 years ago I remember just after moving of from a meet the huntsman spotted a vixen moving along just in front of the hounds as they were drawing along a ditch.

They soon marked her but as they were marking the huntsman spotted the dog fox nearby. He was large and real orange in colour with a really white chest.

He soon got the hounds onto the fox and they screamed away.

He needed to get through wire and threw his wire cutters to someone who cut the wire and threw the cutters back up to the huntsman.

The huntsman dropped his wire cutters but kept riding.

That fox gave them a brilliant 40 minute, 5 mile straight point to point with no checks and when they marked him there was horses on their knees and home was blown.

Home was blown before 1 o clock and we were fencing 'till 4 or 5.

That evening the huntsman went back for his wire cutters (5 miles from the mark) and here was the dog fox back to his vixen.

They're an unbelievable animal and sometimes (but not always) don't deserve to be treated as vermin.

As has been said before, the genuine hunter / countryman / fieldsport lover has maximum respect for the quarry and can appreciate and respect what fascinating animals they are when watched in different situations

• Like 5

Don't be daft Neil. everyone on here knows that a full bull won't go to ground...

It didn't it was on top lol