Permission

Hi does anyone have any idea how to obtain permission, best people to contact, best ways to go about getting it, any help is greatly appreciated thanks

All you can do is keep knocking doors bud,you will get turned away 99 times out of a hundred but even getting one may lead to getting more as the landowner will gain your trust & may put in a good word on your behalf to other local landowners..It's a soul destroying ritual knocking & been turned away but stick at it fella & I'm sure something will come of it..Good luck

• Like 2

Thanks very much Fuji, I know a lot of farmers don't like you on the land and what have you and it will be hard but is there anything or any particular way I should go about this because I can imagine that me turning up on some bodies doorstep isn't too appreciated by them, I.e do I just turn up and go straight in that I have a working lurcher what do you recommend thanks mate

Also do you think it's best to mention what you will be going for thanks.

I will be honest mate I've been asked to leave land a hundred and one times I just want somewhere I can go without being hassled and just have a peaceful night out with the dogs

Start with asking for ferreting. It's less frowned upon than lamping. Once you've earnt their trust and they've seen the dog working in the day time is an easy step to asking to mop up what's left on the lamp

• Like 3

Look for farms covered in ferrel pigeons then offer to shoot them with the air rifle. Shooting hundreds of rats and ferrel pigeons has helped me gain 95% of my permissions, I never mentioned lamping with the dogs until I got to know the farmers, once they trust you your away. I get permissions offered to me now never have to ask, sometimes I'll just shoot rats for months on end but they all give me rights on there land eventually just some quicker than others. I have night vision for the air riffle it helps to be able to kill large amounts of vermin in one go, I also take the dogs on ratting days my lurchers love it??

Look for farms covered in ferrel pigeons then offer to shoot them with the air rifle. Shooting hundreds of rats and ferrel pigeons has helped me gain 95% of my permissions, I never mentioned lamping with the dogs until I got to know the farmers, once they trust you your away. I get permissions offered to me now never have to ask, sometimes I'll just shoot rats for months on end but they all give me rights on there land eventually just some quicker than others. I have night vision for the air riffle it helps to be able to kill large amounts of vermin in one go, I also take the dogs on ratting days my lurchers love it

That's an interesting approach never thought of going at it that way I suppose it's worth a shot thanks mate

I think mentionimg dogs at first conversation can be off putting as they think of their livestock as priority ferreting is maybe the best start as rabbits are a nuisance and a ferret will not kill there sheep or cattle its all about trust your a stranger and farmers are very untrustworthy people at the beat of times but once they like you your in ...i saved my farmer 16 grand on his windows so i didnt need to ask for permission ha

Look for farms covered in ferrel pigeons then offer to shoot them with the air rifle. Shooting hundreds of rats and ferrel pigeons has helped me gain 95% of my permissions, I never mentioned lamping with the dogs until I got to know the farmers, once they trust you your away. I get permissions offered to me now never have to ask, sometimes I'll just shoot rats for months on end but they all give me rights on there land eventually just some quicker than others. I have night vision for the air riffle it helps to be able to kill large amounts of vermin in one go, I also take the dogs on ratting days my lurchers love it??

Done that over the last 2 days local An the mention off fox as coming upto lambing landed 2 farms out off 3

• Like 1

Yeah I think you are right in saying dogs are off putting to farmers, and I suppose it is the idiots that do harm livestock cock it up for everyone else, but hopefully some farmers look past this and let us get on with a bit of sport, if I'm honest it's a win win situation if your getting rid of rabbits and foxes because they are vermin

Done that over the last 2 days local An the mention off fox as coming upto lambing landed 2 farms out off 3
yes I get a fair few foxing requests

Knock away pal. One thing I find is you have to time it right. Its no good going at the end of the season asking for permission because if you get it, go once and the don't turn up again until September it's easily lost. Go early on, August/September. Go a few times to get their trust and then hit the ground hard all winter. Even if you're not catching much kid on that you are. They'll see how keen you are and it usually leads to more permission, that's how its worked for me. Another good one is to get one farm go to the neighboring one drop his name and say "If they're on his, They're on yours as well" and tell him you'll be able to do a better job with access to both places.

• Like 1