Punt Gunners.

Anyone been to the frampton country show they have one on show every year they used to fire it on the lake don't know if they still do, but it's still there on show, shoots backwards at fair rate when fired and not very discreet if you were after a bit of clandestine duck hunting, think I,ll stick with my inflatable and catty,

Yes, they still fire it on the lake. I know the guy it belongs to. He's mad for his shooting, especially wildfowling, and still actively uses the puntgun.

Frampton show's always the second Sunday of September and is a good day out - http://framptoncountryfair.co.uk/. One tip if you do plan on going - get there early, by which I mean aim to be on site by 9am at the very latest. If you leave it much later than that you'll end up queuing for ages to get in.

Can you not go round the side and hop over the fence ?

Anyone been to the frampton country show they have one on show every year they used to fire it on the lake don't know if they still do, but it's still there on show, shoots backwards at fair rate when fired and not very discreet if you were after a bit of clandestine duck hunting, think I,ll stick with my inflatable and catty,

Yes, they still fire it on the lake. I know the guy it belongs to. He's mad for his shooting, especially wildfowling, and still actively uses the puntgun.

Frampton show's always the second Sunday of September and is a good day out - http://framptoncountryfair.co.uk/. One tip if you do plan on going - get there early, by which I mean aim to be on site by 9am at the very latest. If you leave it much later than that you'll end up queuing for ages to get in.

Can you not go round the side and hop over the fence ?
only if you know the way,I,ve been going for years but every year it's less country folk and more city dicks walking round in there quilted barber jackets flat caps and a fecking pug on a lead, half the show ground was taken up by new car sales last year, I might give the onion fair at newant a look this year meant to be alright, anyone been

John5 was that chaps username, he used to build his own punts and the guns for them, I was supposed to go out with him but it never materialised

you missed out on meeting with a great bloke who knew what he was on about ,and you missed out on one of the most thrilling types of wildfowling there is!

I was lucky to meet John and we had a few laughs and as Harry said he does not suffer fools , I am pleased to say that John gave the opertunity to partake in a sport that I had read about and wanted to do for over half a century! he still has an ad in wildfowling on here for a wildfowling partner, but he's not been on here since 2014 , DD

Edited by derbyduck
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Some Pics from Hunters Fen , by John Humpreys . Chris Green , The Cornish Countryman has one and uses it in his Wildfowling Videos

attachicon.gifIMG_2400.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2401.JPG

attachment=300784:IMG_2402.JPG]

Another well known punt gunner of that period was Snowden Slights ,several years ago I did examine his guns for my research they were housed in the basement of a museum in York and just stood in corner and covered in white wash which had falling off the walls ,I only hope they are now in a better place and looked after.

Feltwad

• 4 months later...

John5 was that chaps username, he used to build his own punts and the guns for them, I was supposed to go out with him but it never materialised

Me too!

Me to! I think he wanted someone to help with his punt gunning as it was getting to hard on his own.