Creating A New Line Of Working Terrier?

The plucky thread got me thinking, is there anybody using terriers from mixed parents that graft, no fancy names in their pedigrees, just both workers, and if you were to create a line what would you use? By mixed parents I mean bitsa terriers, and is there anybody using bitsas that work and produce workers? Surely that's how they started off. When we were growing up it was never looking to keep type, it was just put working dog over working bitch no matter what breed.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We're all just polishing turds, every line that exists now existed in one form or another before we were even thought of. The so called Stevens line, is a mix up of some Nuttall, some Gould and som

You scatter bred fanatics are missing the goal mouth by a mile .Where are these wonder dogs bred from the postmans poodle over Satans daughter. Dogs need not be wearing cloaks and shiney pants to get

Good shout Neil. I've never put down line bred dogs. Not everyone has that quest to drive for and the ones like yourself that do and many others, I have respect for. The point that I was making was th

Posted Images

What about when you put two good workers together and nothing good comes out. Where does that leave you. Do you get rid of parents and start again...or do you admit that its a bit more complex than you had hoped and come to realise that the best thing would be to learn the basics of heredity and how genes work and how inbreeding can help to secure the traits you want.

The best bitsa cross dogs I've seen graft although when I say graft I mean ratting bushing ferreting and so on not digging. Was a cross bred mongrel of a travellers site my brother had it ,I think it was a cairn terrier cross God know what and was a real good busher and ratter. . Although none of them are bred with any fore thought it's just where they let to run and anything can get across a bitch.

Good litters can come from one or two curs or from an accident or from a badly thought out mating.

Good lines can't, full stop.

Good lines CANNOT be an accident or a fluke. There is always planning and thought put into each breeding.

Simple as that.

so during the creation of the black dogs, where did they start? They were never always there they were created by using other types of working terrier. Maybe in the past there was more of a chance of producing workers as most terrier breeds worked before being ruined by kennel clubs.
  • Like 1

Every terrier I have in the yard has been part of a line of terriers but none are of a direct line. Each terriers parents are off different lines. I'm doing alright for myself, maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I'm getting the best of both worlds. Edited to add not one of my terriers are related in any way at all.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

Every terrier I have in the yard has been part of a line of terriers but none are of a direct line. Each terriers parents are off different lines. I'm doing alright for myself, maybe I'm just lucky or maybe I'm getting the best of both worlds. Edited to add not one of my terriers are related in any way at all.

id find in this day your are one lucky man you have a yard of different bred dogs and they all work with none been related wow that id have to see many a man with decent bred line dogs would be happy with that outcome

that's the type, just workers to workers, do you breed your own now general? and have you any pups off them that worked

that's the type, just workers to workers, do you breed your own now general? and have you any pups off them that worked
No I don't breed as I only have dogs. It's been 8 years from I had a bitch in the yard and I lost her to ground. Not to say I wouldn't take another bitch in the future though. All my dogs have been gifted to me by friends, digging partners or just genuine terriermen that asked would I like a pup from there litter. They're all bred from good dogs and bitches but each dog has completely different lines in the sire and dam side and none the same line in any of the other dogs. None of them are similar in working style but they get the job done for me and they keep me happy. As I say maybe I'm just lucky that these different breedings have clicked, whether they'd be producers if bred from time might tell if I find the right bitch or someone with the right bitch approaches me. I do believe line breeding is definately a way to get a higher percentage of workers but the thing about it is you could have a genuine guy line breeding good stock but assholes that don't know how to rear, look after and run a terrier on properly ending up with the pups so that could fk it up on the man. Then you can get genuine lads breeding dogs that they have with a good network of lads that they know will do there best to rear the offspring to the best of there ability and strive to try and get the best out of the dogs. That's the main factor in my eyes. I'm just thankful the majority of pups I receive work out for me. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 6

No I don't breed as I only have dogs. It's been 8 years from I had a bitch in the yard and I lost her to ground. Not to say I wouldn't take another bitch in the future though. All my dogs have been gifted to me by friends, digging partners or just genuine terriermen that asked would I like a pup from there litter. They're all bred from good dogs and bitches but each dog has completely different lines in the sire and dam side and none the same line in any of the other dogs. None of them are similar in working style but they get the job done for me and they keep me happy. As I say maybe I'm just lucky that these different breedings have clicked, whether they'd be producers if bred from time might tell if I find the right bitch or someone with the right bitch approaches me. I do believe line breeding is definately a way to get a higher percentage of workers but the thing about it is you could have a genuine guy line breeding good stock but assholes that don't know how to rear, look after and run a terrier on properly ending up with the pups so that could fk it up on the man. Then you can get genuine lads breeding dogs that they have with a good network of lads that they know will do there best to rear the offspring to the best of there ability and strive to try and get the best out of the dogs. That's the main factor in my eyes. I'm just thankful the majority of pups I receive work out for me.

i totally disagree and believe line breeding definately works to produce the right dog for the right job but only is my opinion

No I don't breed as I only have dogs. It's been 8 years from I had a bitch in the yard and I lost her to ground. Not to say I wouldn't take another bitch in the future though. All my dogs have been gifted to me by friends, digging partners or just genuine terriermen that asked would I like a pup from there litter. They're all bred from good dogs and bitches but each dog has completely different lines in the sire and dam side and none the same line in any of the other dogs. None of them are similar in working style but they get the job done for me and they keep me happy. As I say maybe I'm just lucky that these different breedings have clicked, whether they'd be producers if bred from time might tell if I find the right bitch or someone with the right bitch approaches me. I do believe line breeding is definately a way to get a higher percentage of workers but the thing about it is you could have a genuine guy line breeding good stock but assholes that don't know how to rear, look after and run a terrier on properly ending up with the pups so that could fk it up on the man. Then you can get genuine lads breeding dogs that they have with a good network of lads that they know will do there best to rear the offspring to the best of there ability and strive to try and get the best out of the dogs. That's the main factor in my eyes. I'm just thankful the majority of pups I receive work out for me.

i totally disagree and believe line breeding definately works to produce the right dog for the right job but only is my opinion
where did i say line breeding didn't produce good dogs? Read it again Taz

I do believe line breeding is definately a way to get a higher percentage of workers but the thing about it is you could have a genuine guy line breeding good stock but assholes that don't know how to rear, look after and run a terrier on properly ending up with the pups so that could fk it up on the man. Then you can get genuine lads breeding dogs that they have with a good network of lads that they know will do there best to rear the offspring to the best of there ability and strive to try and get the best out of the dogs. That's the main factor in my eyes. I'm just thankful the majority of pups I receive work out for me.