Jill Jab/implant Norfolk

Yes, it's a shame, but you can't beat yourself up about it. It was a mistake, but I'm sure it will never happen again. I've never kept a hob. What are they like if you only get them vas? Some people say they are aggressive in season, stink to high heaven and can be a pain

For those who use snipped hobs,do you ever experience phantom pregnancies?I only tried it the once,never again.She ran herself ragged for months dragging adult back to the nest as if they were kits....drove them and her mad,took months to calm down.

Surely thats what there supposed to experience a phantom pregnancy ? where they think there pregnant to bring them out of season but there not ?. Usually they are quite happy thinking there pregnant for 6 weeks then they start to come back into season again and you spend the summer putting the snipped hob in with them

Personally I love keeping hobs, enjoying working both. Have no trouble at all with my snipped fella he leaves the Jill's alone once they are out of season and if they come back in will do the business again. Hobs are aggressive towards each other during the breeding season and can't be kept together though. My Jill's have occasionally had a phantom pregnancies but nothing to bad. Prefer the hob to the jab. Atb

Yes, it's a shame, but you can't beat yourself up about it. It was a mistake, but I'm sure it will never happen again. I've never kept a hob. What are they like if you only get them vas? Some people say they are aggressive in season, stink to high heaven and can be a pain

There certainly no aggressive my complete hob sleeps away the days while the snipped hobs pumping ten jill directly below him , the only time a hob smells is while his balls are dropped (while hes in season ) clean them out often and they never smell more than any other ferret

Thats what I expected Bob,but it didnt happen like that,maybe I should have said phantom litter lol Put me right off ever using a snipped hob again,she was relentless and wouldnt settle,feeding timewas a nightmare,as fast as one was feeding she would latch on to its neck and drag it back to the "nest",she never came back into season even when I separated her,went on for a couple of months.The other jill mated to the same hob died a few weeks after mating,I,m sure it will come back and bite me on the arse,but I,ve never lost a jill left in season in over 30 yrs of keeping them,it cant just be luck??

Edited by northern lad
  • Like 1

Each to there own

A few years ago my snipped hob died and i thought i would just leave the jills untill i got a hob kit and got him snipped , i lost a 6 and 7 year old jills that summer i wouldn't try that again

I tried the jill jab they screamed as they where jabbed and some came straight back into season and needed repeat jags and that can cause hard lumps at the injection sight ?.

The snipped hob is the easiest route for me get him snipped keep him away for the required time , then try him on one jill wait another 6 weeks to see there's no young then let him loose with all my jills job done ? but every hob ive ever had snipped has died of testicular cancer about 8 years of age ?

i breed a jill maybe every 3 years to get a jill kit or two as a replacement the kits eat enough to feed a small african nation and attract flies all summer them you start handling the kits to stop them biting my hands and arms have more scars than a self harmer ive clicked its easier to get a kit in from somebody daft enough to breed theres

Im really thinking about going down the castrated hobs route and having a quiet summer

If Im honest the only reason I tried the snipped hob was listening to people on here and how good it was.Ive said before me and my ferreting pal used two separate hobs on separate jills,different years (both hobs owned by lads off here) I lost one of the two jills he mated,the year after John lost one of the two jills he had mated.The idea was ,if its better we would get one of ours snipped.Im sure it was something to do with borrowing a hob and possibly passing an infection on.It just didn't make sense to get one done after this,two consecutive years/attempts and meeting failure both times,as I said the surviving jills behaviour left me in no doubt which I prefer and I think is better for my jills.One thing I would say is,if you have a vas,d hob,dont lend it out....you could be bringing allsorts back to your yard,or passing allsorts on.

• Like 1

Guaranteed you lend out a snipped hob they can pick up all sexual transmitted diseases going making your jills barren which seems fine but if you want to breed a litter every 4th or 5th year you cant . ive only gone down the snipped hob route as its the easiest for me having ten jills and the hobs dont see half the work the jills gets as said a few times we have talked about swapping over to castrated hobs all living together all year and you can have a quiet summer , but the cost of getting so many snipped then i want smaller hobs no like some of the bear sized hobs you see now days , i always go out with my son and we start together but if theres a dig i can leave him to it unless its really deep and continue ferreting but i dont want both of us digging our way round a field and even with the jills im beginning to think we where

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. I've now found a vet that charges £19 for the consultation and £8 per ferret for the Jill jab. They will also do the implant for £87. I haven't decided to get them spayed or get a vas hob in future, at least this will give me more time

Which vets did you get that price from mate? I'm also in Norfolk and struggling to find a decent price to get my three Jill's jabbed this year. Cheers