Cleaning Hatching Eggs

I don't bother cleaning them unles they are really bad, remember the shells are porous so if you wash them in cold water it actually pushes the germs into the egg.

A damp cloth and a quick wipe is all that's really needed.

Why are your results so low, are the eggs fertile, at what point are the eggs dying, so many more things it can be other than dirty eggs, humidity, temps, draughts, age of eggs, how they have been stored etc etc.

I normally give them a wipe over with a cloth. Generally speaking 90% of those that start go all the way through and hatch.

30% don't even start, would this be due to the eggs not being fertile? Or would it be humidy or temp?

I have the eggs at 38.2C.

Ed

It actually sounds more like a fertility problem, have you checked during the first 12 days looking for embryo developing ?

A week old is fine, big end up is good, what temp are you storing the eggs at before they go in.

I presume the ones that hatch are hatching on the right day, humidity generally kills the chick, unless it's way way out the embryo would still begin to develop, if most are hatching fine then it's highly unlikely it's a humidity or temperature problem, as before it sounds like poor fertility.

When you say your eggs are at 38.2, I presume you mean your incubator is running at this ?

Is it a still air ? As that's just a shade too high for a forced air incubator, or at least I found it was, I found the ideal temp to be 37.6 - 37.8

Couple of things when incubating. Think like a chicken. She sits and hatches anywhere from 10 to 15 eggs before sitting tight yet they all hatch at virtually the same time. She never washes the eggs!! Lol. When I first started I admit to using banties which obviously gives you a huge advantage. Why not try a small batch without cleaning. The reason I mentioned the egg candler is that I have one here needing a new home. It's new and has a re-charging lead. They sell for about £15.00. If you are interested give me a PM. Jok.

Thank you both for replying.

Rabid- they are stored in a cupboard in my utility room, guessing temps range from 9/10 - 19/20degrees. The ones that hatch are normally on the right day, however a couple come a day late.

Yes my incubator is running at 38.2 and is a fan incubator. I will try turning it down slightly.

Jok - i put an 8 unwashed eggs in on Sunday evening to test to see what happens. I have made a candler stand that attaches to my phone case, not the best but can make out that 3 out of 8 have the embryo and veins formed, 3 are clear with no yolk and 2 have a yolk but no signs of embryo forming yet.

Thank you both for your help so far,

Ed

Just candled them. Out of the 8 incubated only three are still alive. A couple are clear and a couple the yolks can be seen but no growth.

The eggs are from different hens but the same cockerel, so he must be fertile.

Bit confused now as this is a worse % return than previous!

Right mate. The old way, which must still be good, is to have a trio. 2 hens 1 cock. You are having problems because, in my opinion, the cock bird is not servicing the whole flock. Isolate him and two hens of your choice and I would say your problems are solved. Speak to a few breeders of special breeds and they will assist. Jok.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys do?

I'm on about 60% hatch rate (hybrid chicken) and wondering if I can improve this by cleaning or not cleaning them before they do in the incubator?

Ed

One of the major causes of dead in shell is a diseased embryo,another is wrong humidity.Eggs should be routinely cleansed before being entered into an incubator.

Morton, what do you mean cleansed?

Jok has given me plenty of advice and trying his method I have now got 15/16 eggs fertile. I haven't cleaned any of the eggs before putting them in the incubator, do you think this will cause issues?

Ed

• Like 1