Xanadoo

we don't see many in Ireland?

There a few - mostly working above but not attending shows or the like. There is a line working leprechauns and chasing the end of rainbows for the same gold some folk are getting across the water for litters ... One breeder there is charging £450 a pup - any faults that come about are your business - foul mouth, epilepsy and unwillingness to work ...

I have to give it to WCM - his stuff is worked - as evident from the photos in fairness - maybe not dug to as people prefer in this section - but worked none the less.

• Like 3

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i know, that wasn't aimed at you bud its just the way it is tho, what you do with your dogs deep in the countryside is up to you. its a shit law and it dose not work but we have to do our best and kee

Not the best photo as the focus was on the red bitch in the centre, little bitch on the left Plummer terrier breeding, never saw a rat in her life,was an out and out digging terrier and worked to a ve

more,                

Posted Images

Must have missed the writing on the wall for real terrierwork,any pics .

Just out of interest WM how did you despatch all those foxes for the fur trade given you were on dodgey ground and furs were worth nothing if they had "too much dog ".

Snaring was the method of choice here for a clean pelt .

You are just acting up again F.D. use your imagination, "Cobbledick" who bought our pelts was well switched on to any damage or blood, any blue in the coat where they were still moulting was also penalised, we used every method and heavily snared the sides of the motorway and railway lines, the edges of town held more foxes than any countryside, the "wheelie bin" changed the numbers in town dramatically when they were introduced and "Cobbledick" being burned out by the anti's finished off the pelt trade for us , we did however take plenty of live ones that were sold on for cash back around the same time, the best price we were ever paid in the 80's was £34 and I picked it up off the road in prime winter condition and was massive, right in the middle of Birkenhead, WM
I always used a .22 pistol back in the day ,top of head pointed down the neck ,easy sew up .My imagination is struggling to find a method whereby a decent pelt is retained without a pistol but maybe I missed a trick or two being out in the sticks lol.Were your skins collected or did you send them mate .One last thing on the skins you sold ,did you bother to keep the toes and nails on or just whip them off at the foot and roll them .

Fox pelts were very much my thing and I still have a few receipts from CD s kicking about somewhere .Wondered if you did .

That's fair enough. To be perfectly honest if they're not doing much earthwork that's the reason why they don't carry many scars, but if they're so good at ratting then obviously then they're gonna pick up some, say in a good day some dogs could be killing rats in big numbers. A broken coated terrier will hide most of all this which a Plummer won't. So in reality then they're not as versatile as people say they are as they're just trained by certain men to do a variety of tasks that any terrier is capable to do.

Not the best photo as the focus was on the red bitch in the centre, little bitch on the left Plummer terrier breeding, never saw a rat in her life,was an out and out digging terrier and worked to a very high standard.post-97484-0-95094000-1487595629_thumb.jpg
  • Like 10

That's fair enough. To be perfectly honest if they're not doing much earthwork that's the reason why they don't carry many scars, but if they're so good at ratting then obviously then they're gonna pick up some, say in a good day some dogs could be killing rats in big numbers. A broken coated terrier will hide most of all this which a Plummer won't. So in reality then they're not as versatile as people say they are as they're just trained by certain men to do a variety of tasks that any terrier is capable to do.

Not the best photo as the focus was on the red bitch in the centre, little bitch on the left Plummer terrier breeding, never saw a rat in her life,was an out and out digging terrier and worked to a very high standard.attachicon.gifIMG_0241.JPG
looks the veteran

Mango that is a brilliant photo and made me think. When I first saw it I thought frig that red dog is powerful and didn't even glance at the dog covered in scars which is the more experienced of the two. I then think of some of the best dogs I have ever came across that can be called workers, these are dogs that look like nothing at all.

• Like 2

Not the best photo as the focus was on the red bitch in the centre, little bitch on the left Plummer terrier breeding, never saw a rat in her life,was an out and out digging terrier and worked to a very high standard. IMG_0241.JPG
Nice looking yoke Mango, I'm not saying they'll not work to ground far from it because I've no experience with the breed and that terrier looks like it's seen work. I was looking an explaination as to why SOME folk that keep this type of terrier reckon they are more versatile than most other breeds of terrier? My point being that not many of the owners do serious earthwork with them yet they believe there versatility in other genres out weighs that. I wanted to know what they're so good at that any other terrier can't be trained to do. Again it's a genuine question. Atb
  • Like 1

Not the best photo as the focus was on the red bitch in the centre, little bitch on the left Plummer terrier breeding, never saw a rat in her life,was an out and out digging terrier and worked to a very high standard. IMG_0241.JPG
Nice looking yoke Mango, I'm not saying they'll not work to ground far from it because I've no experience with the breed and that terrier looks like it's seen work. I was looking an explaination as to why SOME folk that keep this type of terrier reckon they are more versatile than most other breeds of terrier? My point being that not many of the owners do serious earthwork with them yet they believe there versatility in other genres out weighs that. I wanted to know what they're so good at that any other terrier can't be trained to do. Again it's a genuine question. Atb
General,that is quite an old photo to be honest probably way before they became as widespread as they are now.

And I agree with your post 100 per cent.

• Like 2

Must have missed the writing on the wall for real terrierwork,any pics .

Just out of interest WM how did you despatch all those foxes for the fur trade given you were on dodgey ground and furs were worth nothing if they had "too much dog ".

Snaring was the method of choice here for a clean pelt .

You are just acting up again F.D. use your imagination, "Cobbledick" who bought our pelts was well switched on to any damage or blood, any blue in the coat where they were still moulting was also penalised, we used every method and heavily snared the sides of the motorway and railway lines, the edges of town held more foxes than any countryside, the "wheelie bin" changed the numbers in town dramatically when they were introduced and "Cobbledick" being burned out by the anti's finished off the pelt trade for us , we did however take plenty of live ones that were sold on for cash back around the same time, the best price we were ever paid in the 80's was £34 and I picked it up off the road in prime winter condition and was massive, right in the middle of Birkenhead, WM
I always used a .22 pistol back in the day ,top of head pointed down the neck ,easy sew up .My imagination is struggling to find a method whereby a decent pelt is retained without a pistol but maybe I missed a trick or two being out in the sticks lol.Were your skins collected or did you send them mate .One last thing on the skins you sold ,did you bother to keep the toes and nails on or just whip them off at the foot and roll them .

Fox pelts were very much my thing and I still have a few receipts from CD s kicking about somewhere .Wondered if you did .

I don't think "wacking" a fox with a .22 pistol would of gone down well in somebodies back garden or public park,etc, as I said stealth was the key, most never knew we were ever there, late 70's early 80's was a different world, our local town hall paid you £5 a tail at one point back in the day, 10p a rat tail, we had an open shoot on corvids in all our rural parks for anyone with a shotgun cert; I remember walking down the road terrier and lurcher on a lead and a dead fox hanging over my shoulder with a spade around Clatterbridge roundabout (main motorway network) and nobody gave me a second look, the anti's,teachers changed all that when our "Labour" councils were taken over by radicals intent on educating the children with lies and hearsay, if you wish to pm me I will tell you how we despatched and it was much quicker than a pistol. I would be interested in seeing a few of those receipts though if only for nostalgic interest, the skins we sent were rolled up and kept in a freezer if I remember rightly, he liked them either barrel skinned or traditional, all blood needed to be washed off, we used to wait till we had 10 and sent them off, as you know the skins were only ever any good for about 12 weeks, I think the winters being colder back then hurried up the moult to winter pelt, when skinned out if you held them up to the light and looked from the flesh side (which had to be scraped off) you could tell immediately if it was any good by the amount of blue you could see where they were still moulting, some skins were a mess but he would still take them for small strips and collars he told us, I remember getting a calendar each year off him and it would be nice to see one if anyone still has one but its a long time ago now, we bought our first deben locator with the money off our skins, I remember we always got paid by postal orders but then I suppose thats all there was, I bet you would struggle for good skins now with these warmer winters but then there is no call for them now, WM
Might be just as well you didn't have a pistol cos you might have shot yourself in the foot with that too.Skins were never fleshed and had to be sent minimum of two as they were salted and rolled skin to skin ,never rolled on itself .Moult lines were visible without the light trick and toes ,claws were to be left on .Their own tanning system took care of fleshing .

Grade 1 skins paid at £25

Grade 2 £15

Grade 3 £10

£5 for trims

• Like 1

I've skipped through most of the thread, if you're happy with what you hunt then more power to you. Plucky, you lost me when you said your kill method was quicker than a .22 bullet !

Maybe he perfected the 1" punch dilly.

It done bruce lee ok for yrs lol.

• Like 6