Muscle Vs Fat ......

There's been lots of topics on here reference lurchers weights and conditioning etc and it's normally from a fella new to the game who has been told his dog is to fat and that cross shouldn't weigh that amount blah blah blah and when they put a picture up of their dog it normally looks spot on well muscled and looking fit which proves the old adage of muscle weighs more than fat ... what I always knew I had confirmed to me today ... Tilly went in this morning have the pins removed from her damaged leg and when she was weighed she had lost over two kilos ... I have fed her exactly the same as she was eating before the injury however she has not been out of her run for 2 months so has obviously lost condition and has muscle wastage so conclusive proof that muscle weighs more than fat ...............

Take this how's yas find it socks ,so that fat b*****d down the road his in better Nick than streamlined physically stripped back fella ready ta match lol,this should be interesting but has of late the exercising has took a back stage but hey I have now become lighter.,so much fa being a fat fecker lol atb bunnys.

More importantly hows Tilly bud?? Atb

She is a pain in the f***ing arse lol ... she was supposed to be in overnight ... I had a phone call at 3pm asking if I could come and get her as she had broken out of her cage twice and they had tied it shut with two leads so now she was howling the place down ... I could hear her over the phone ... she was stressing and wouldn't stay still so I had to go and collect her in case she damaged herself ... the orthopaedic vet reckons the op was successful and he was happy with it ... the leg looks floppy to me but the pins have only just come out so I will see what she is like over the next few days ... cheers for asking mate .........

• Like 7

Interesting post Ken,wonder what the muscle loss would have been in a younger dog.I know shes not old but she cerainly wont be producing growth hormones now,you know yourself when youre younger you can skip the gym to go on hols etc and lose no size,Im 47 now and gain size quickly when training,if I missed a week now muscle mass shrinks rapidly due to not producing growth hormones anymore,however the lost mass is regained very quickly,muscle memory perhaps??? Applying the same logic Tilly should gain the 2kg back faster than you think(all being well with her injury) Either way glad shes doing ok so far ATB Dave

• Like 3

Socks,I had a bitch that lost a lot of weight due to being in plaster and like you say it was dangling loose when the dressings came off,I honestly thought that I should of shot her and felt gutted seeing it hanging useless but after a couple of months she was pretty much back to both condition and weight,I know you will take things steady and have the knowledge and experience to give her the best chance,good luck and try not to rush things,WM

• Like 2

i bet she comes right by september mate,, :thumbs: my only regret is not meeting up with you welsh chaps for a pint last saturday when you visted my dales,,and you lost at the rugby,,,would have loved being in that pub with you guys.... :D:tongue2:

• Like 1

I'm a bit concerned at the way the foot is just flopping about and she isn't putting any weight on it .... gonna ring the vet tomorrow to ask if this is normal as I'm not convinced ........

could it be a case of her getting used to keeping the pressure of that foot / leg. ? I know a greyhound man had a dog the same way. He put the dog on a treadmill , forcing the dog to realize it was ok to use the leg again and dog came good. Obviously every case is different so only you know if this is more of a danger to the dog than a help. A.t.b

I believe that socks ,sometimes people get hung up on weight instead of using their eyes ,their hands and a bit of common sense .

Spot on with that mate,a good dog man is always watching his dogs and feeds everyday accordingly.

• Like 1