Pine Marten Attack

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it numerous times, Don't fix something if isn't broken. These so called conservationists /antis seem to want to protect and reintroduce mostly carnivors and raptors, I don't see this as co

I dont use google pal i wait for neal to use it and read what he posts.

They have been reintroduced in my area in an effort to reduce the grey squirrel population and boost the Reds numbers, and they are thriving, and in fact, the grey squirrel is nearly gone, not seen an

I've said it numerous times,

Don't fix something if isn't broken.

These so called conservationists /antis seem to want to protect and reintroduce mostly carnivors and raptors, I don't see this as conservation in any shape or form, the pine martin is a native here why where they treated as vermin because of the damage they do, what did they feed on before grey squirrels where brought here "reds" it's also been documented that the reintroduced goshawks are preying on red squirrels, foxes and badger killing all the ground nesting birds but that dosn't matter because foxes and badgers are cuddly well according to packham & co, it will come back to bite them on the asre but they'll just blame gamekeepers and farmer they're an easy target.

Conservationists, don't make me laugh bunch of muppets the lot of them.

• Like 12

I have one of these in my garden he shits on my front door mat next to the dog bowls summer before last ther was a full birds leg with the nail on and a cuple of cherry seeds in his shit some times at night I will stand on the porch and call foxes one night this marting come running to the call I've also bolted one or what I think was one (dident get a proper look ) from a badger sett the dog followed the line and I found a brand new sett what I never new was ther

They have been reintroduced in my area in an effort to reduce the grey squirrel population and boost the Reds numbers, and they are thriving, and in fact, the grey squirrel is nearly gone, not seen any in ages.

Will they not kill reds? Racists
They do kill reds but not in the same numbers, the greys are an available food source all year round.

They have been reintroduced in my area in an effort to reduce the grey squirrel population and boost the Reds numbers, and they are thriving, and in fact, the grey squirrel is nearly gone, not seen any in ages.

They do kill reds but not in the same numbers, the greys are an available food source all year round.

I didn't know red squirrels migrated !!!

• Like 2

Funny enough the same type of conversation came up a while back with a group of us, one lad in particular that is very smart in all aspects of wildlife etc. Said that a Pine Marten will catch grey squirrels but not reds as the reds are too fast and even if the Marten follows the reds out onto thin branches it will stop! as it knows the red is lighter in weight and the Marten won't venture any further onwards in pursuit so the red will in turn, live for another day. I thought about it after and thought that's makes sense, then after more thought I said to myself that has to be total bollocks. If that's the case how does the heavier and larger grey succeed so well in dominating the red squirrel? I wouldn't be that clued in on squirrels by any means. So I never gave it another thought but I'm sure someone will be able to clear it up. Atb. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

I cant remember if ive had it explained to me or not, but I think it goes along the lines that the grey doesnt hibernate, & will eat the cash of feed that the red has put by for when it comes out of hibernation. I have the odd red at mine where I trapped the pinemartin.

• Like 1

Red squirrels live in a spherical nest (drey) of approximately 30cm in diameter, which has a frame of twigs and is lined with moss and grass. ... They do not hibernate, but are less active when weather conditions are bad and can remain in their dreys for several days at a time.

So surely a red squirrel sleeping in a drey is easier to catch and kill than a stronger harder biting grey any predator is going to take the easier option every time.

• Like 2