Hares

Wagon driver told me there was some on old Siemens factory site not long since LPD. Those populations must be very isolated now with new blood not being able to get in yet they are still there. I had some great sport in that area many years ago coursing the very ancestors of those hares and I know Maximus Ferret did to! Seen some on telly in a grave yard somewhere that were very relaxed grazing in the daylight. Grand and versatile survivors.On a different note was told Blue Hares have been seen in Cheviots for first time for years off a very reliable source.

Ahh..... times gone by. Ever since I was a kid talking to grown ups I've been told that built up land used to be open fields where they used to go bird nesting/hunting etc.

Now I'm older I find I'm doing it myself and the worst of it's when I'm back visiting my brother in Blyth or reading one of Bill Doherty's books. (They're all set where I grew up and once he describes a place it springs back into my mind.) Great times.

Can't live in the past though, onwards and upwards and I hope to be struggling under the weight of what I've caught in a few hours from now :);):thumbs:

• Like 1

I have bolted a hare from a land drain with terriers when such things were considered acceptable, quite a surprise when your expecting a fox to pop out, have also seen a few in boggy ground when there was far nicer grassland around them, had a hare run up to my border Russell cross and start boxing around it in March, and had one run into my legs when the dogs were on it, that's about all my strange hare encounters and all took place in the early 80s when I could

Haha boxed your dog, ffs heard it all now

Gas works North Sheilds ,in industrial estate just up from Shields too. A lad told me and I know he was right that some were also on waste land 7 mile further up Tyne. He caught a couple and brought em to mine. They were in cracking fettle adult and looked oldish however they only weighed 4 to 5lb at best. Regarding rural hares ive seen em from the wettest places to cottage gardens. As Maximus Ferret says they love forestry its very surprising how many you see leaving when it is beaten or drawn with hounds more so in hard weather. I reckon they are a lot more versatile than most give them credit for.

Used to be a good few down the docks, and formica field, saw three running about together about a month ago on the business park

Theres a business park about five mins walk from me with a couple of hares on it.

Gas works North Sheilds ,in industrial estate just up from Shields too. A lad told me and I know he was right that some were also on waste land 7 mile further up Tyne. He caught a couple and brought em to mine. They were in cracking fettle adult and looked oldish however they only weighed 4 to 5lb at best. Regarding rural hares ive seen em from the wettest places to cottage gardens. As Maximus Ferret says they love forestry its very surprising how many you see leaving when it is beaten or drawn with hounds more so in hard weather. I reckon they are a lot more versatile than most give them credit for.

Used to be a good few down the docks, and formica field, saw three running about together about a month ago on the business park

Theres a business park about five mins walk from me with a couple of hares on it.

But has it got a Greggs, a Tesco Express, and a Bookies ?
  • Like 1