Working Border / Or Dodo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really,,,,patterdales suffer the most abuse by idiots because generally they are fairly easy to enter and used by fools easily ruined ...A patterdales likes to work for its self generally...A border g

owned by the same lads that have the digging plummers

It takes a real terrierman to get the most out of ANY terrier. The poor old Border was just unfortunate enough to have a lot of greedy clowns behind it.   The old saying that Borders are slow to en

Really,,,,patterdales suffer the most abuse by idiots because generally they are fairly easy to enter and used by fools easily ruined ...A patterdales likes to work for its self generally...A border generally likes to work for its owner usually with a decent bond....In the world of the five minute wonder terrier man shoot them at 10 months old type idiot the working terrier world seems to idolise at the moment...The border terrier or any working dog is probably better off with cash hungry owners rather than the low lifes I've seen in the last decades that have done their best to destroy everything a lot of us held dear in this sport ,,generally.

Downsview,

IMHO the Border is a working dog of the past. There may be a couple of pedigree show Borders that graft and keep there owners happy but can they produce a litter of workers off them, I am not so sure. I can understand your post as there is a hard man mentality that can creep into terrierwork if not checked.

Any terrier that is worth its salt should work because it wants to, where the line gets crossed in breeding terms is terriers that have no sense. This type are easy to start and take very little input from a person who is not a dog man. Unfortunately they also can have a short working season. They spend more time in sickbay than hunting. This is not traditional terrierwork and would not even exist without the locator collar. But you cannot have that conversation with this type of person, they are too set in their ways. Best to leave them off.

Just shows there's definitely a super abundance of no.marks on this site.....To get the best out of any terrier a decent working bond (trust almost)is needed ,more so with borders than other breeds,sure there lots of people digging regularly to terriers but there not getting the best out of Thier dogs and they don't even know it

• Like 1

plenty being worked to a good standard though most are on the hard side..Just knowing where to look..Not late starters either its the way they are brought up JMHO

Where are theses hidden treasures then !!!! Nice to hear bit more about them

I've heard of the odd one scattered about

But not some one or group of people that have a consistency coming through

I know of some in the midlands a few lads who keep a line going in yorkshire some in norfolk thats just to my knowledge ..heard of a few lads down south to me got some decent digging ones .Ones I had were no good for hunt work but used on call outs to keepers etc ..Any one with a genuine interest in them would find some with not too many problems ..Got pissed off digging to corpses many many years ago so picked the places to drop them in

Seen one bitch and a dog work in the last century .and the didn't need to be doubled up and the didn't work to please no one , except hunting the ditches and the do that single handed too . the still men breeding out of good dogs and stock. Which is a good thing if the dogs prove themselves. Getting hard and good going to the genuine men who keep the workers going

Seen one bitch and a dog work in the last century .

Did you see any in the Century before that?
ha, yes I was dreaming then too !. 95 and 86 the year not my age ,
Pablo, you still alive? Heavy rumours about that a battalion of terrier men have landed on the shores of Munster armed with spades and shovels, told the locals they only here to fight the Spanish.
  • Like 3