Rhodesian Ridgeback Bushing

Hannibal

It's part of the ridgeback's temperament to be "aloof with strangers." None of mine have appreciated strangers getting in their face at first visit. Once they decide they are no threat, they often go and sit on the guest's foot demanding attention - but only when they are ready and on their own terms. This is what makes them such good watchdogs.

This aloofness (at least with mine) has never extended to kids. They seem to realise they are no threat immediately and happily let them pet them.

Having said that, anyone who lets a dog of any breed and young kids mix unsupervised needs to give their head a shake.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not trying to re invent the wheel guys nor am I claiming it is the new next best thing. I've rescued the bitch from being put down and hopefully she will find a place in my pack and she will slot

The bitch is doing just fine. She has settled right in with the family and my other dogs. She is a good watch dog to have knocking round the yard. Hunting wise she is very keen and seems to have team

You know what's fellas,f**k it I'll post what I like about what I like. The mighty hunter brigade pissed me off a bit but oh well. It's quite amusing how people get so offended about what another man

Posted Images

It's part of the ridgeback's temperament to be "aloof with strangers." None of mine have appreciated strangers getting in their face at first visit. Once they decide they are no threat, they often go and sit on the guest's foot demanding attention - but only when they are ready and on their own terms. This is what makes them such good watchdogs.

This aloofness (at least with mine) has never extended to kids. They seem to realise they are no threat immediately and happily let them pet them.

Having said that, anyone who lets a dog of any breed and young kids mix unsupervised needs to give their head a shake.

Lol walshie you do know a ridgeback was used in a pack to bay like hounds there not man stopping machines mate.

Thats what a boerboel is for ??

Lol walshie you do know a ridgeback was used in a pack to bay like hounds there not man stopping machines mate.

Thats what a boerboel is for

Strangely I do know exactly what a ridgeback was bred for. Do you? It was never a pack. It was normally in 2s or 3s. As there are no lions or bears round here to hunt, mine is a pet that can guard the house. Unless of course you're telling me ridgebacks can't guard and I've wasted 25 years of my life trusting them to do just that.

I don't recall saying they were man stopping machines. I said they were good watchdogs. :thumbs:

Strangely I do know exactly what a ridgeback was bred for. Do you? It was never a pack. It was normally in 2s or 3s. As there are no lions or bears round here to hunt, mine is a pet that can guard the house. Unless of course you're telling me ridgebacks can't guard and I've wasted 25 years of my life trusting them to do just that.

I don't recall saying they were man stopping machines. I said they were good watchdogs. :thumbs:

I dont know too much about them any breed of dog that carries spina bifida ill steer well clear of.

Every person ive met thats got one either thinks there a crank of a dog that will rip your throat out as soon as look at you or thinks they actually used to take lions on ? Anyway mate if you like the breed thats fair enough but to me there like a bull arab type of crossbred hound not a gaurd.

Looks like theres more than a couple here walshie.

post-100003-0-77710100-1508685719.jpgpost-100003-0-15724700-1508685741.jpg

I dont know too much about them any breed of dog that carries spina bifida ill steer well clear of.

Every person ive met thats got one either thinks there a crank of a dog that will rip your throat out as soon as look at you or thinks they actually used to take lions on Anyway mate if you like the breed thats fair enough but to me there like a bull arab type of crossbred hound not a gaurd.

attachicon.gifIMG_4028.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4029.JPG

Spina bifida. lol. Google isn't always your friend.

I don'f think either of the things you posted. I just know what i know through years of having them, not what I read of someone in the pub told me.

Every person ive met thats got one either thinks there a crank of a dog that will rip your throat out as soon as look at you or thinks they actually used to take lions on Anyway mate if you like the breed thats fair enough but to me there like a bull arab type of crossbred hound not a gaurd.

attachicon.gifIMG_4028.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4029.JPG

Spina bifida. lol. Google isn't always your friend.

I don'f think either of the things you posted. I just know what i know through years of having them, not what I read of someone in the pub told me.

Whats the big cow lick uo there back from then ? I honestly never googled that just remember reading it somewhere. Probably here lol.

So they wernt just used in pairs then walshie you agree they were used in a pack ?

Oh got you now. My bad. The ridge was inherited from some of the earlier African dogs they have in their mix. It has as much to do with SB as your hair parting does with myxomatosis.

Ah right bit mad that is aint it that the ridge is a natural thing.

• Like 1

Every person ive met thats got one either thinks there a crank of a dog that will rip your throat out as soon as look at you or thinks they actually used to take lions on ? Anyway mate if you like the breed thats fair enough but to me there like a bull arab type of crossbred hound not a gaurd.

TBH, I wouldn't want to take one on. They're fearless and 100% muscle. Plus there's the stamina. They may not have actually killed the lion, but cornering a lion or bear is not something you're going to do unless you have something to offer.

The one I knew was massive, almost great dane sized, just like in this photo (this isn't the one I knew - from google):

d3ea7968e88d00b393fc6f75927efb5e--zulu-l

..and this is a good example of the muscle tone - one of the few breeds with a 6 pack:

aP4w3xR_700b.jpg

All I can say is if you're a burglar, good luck taking that on.

• Like 1

Oh got you now. My bad. The ridge was inherited from some of the earlier African dogs they have in their mix. It has as much to do with SB as your hair parting does with myxomatosis.

Laughing my nads off at this reply walshie! Lol :laugh: .

I don't know much at all about ridgebacks, but they don't look like your typical african type of dog. Were they developed by european settlers from the dogs they took with them? :thumbs:

I don't know much at all about ridgebacks, but they don't look like your typical african type of dog. Were they developed by european settlers from the dogs they took with them? :thumbs:

The short answer is yes. There's allsorts in their blood. It was Dutch settlers who took their bloodhounds, great danes, greyhounds and other breeds with them to South Africa. The locals had a partly domesticated hunting dog that happened to have a ridge. A mixture of these became the early ridgeback. Later on it was tweaked with other breeds to produce the ridgeback we know today.

The short answer is yes. There's allsorts in their blood. It was Dutch settlers who took their bloodhounds, great danes, greyhounds and other breeds with them to South Africa. The locals had a partly domesticated hunting dog that happened to have a ridge. A mixture of these became the early ridgeback. Later on it was tweaked with other breeds to produce the ridgeback we know today.

I think you have nailed it Walshie ,I've seen programs on african village life where the local hunting dogs were shown & they were a thin smaller type than the standard ridgeback but all shared a ridge.These dogs are /were kept to put wild food on table ,any that don't are soon are quickly discarded,there's no room for the jackers in their world. :thumbs:

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1