Rhodesian Ridgeback Bushing

Hannibal

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not trying to re invent the wheel guys nor am I claiming it is the new next best thing. I've rescued the bitch from being put down and hopefully she will find a place in my pack and she will slot

The bitch is doing just fine. She has settled right in with the family and my other dogs. She is a good watch dog to have knocking round the yard. Hunting wise she is very keen and seems to have team

You know what's fellas,f**k it I'll post what I like about what I like. The mighty hunter brigade pissed me off a bit but oh well. It's quite amusing how people get so offended about what another man

Posted Images

I'm getting on really well with her. The old boy that had her has obviously spent a lot of time with her as she is well socialized,I've took her everywhere with me. Seems like nothing bothers her. So far cars,bikes,kids and noise don't bother her. I had her over a little park this afternoon and her recall is good. All the pet walkers were out and their yapping little dogs did' t bother her.

Going to build a good bond and she needs to loose some weight before any work commence but her general behaviour and obedience please me

Cheers for your encouraging comments chaps

• Like 7

There is no hunting rule book.

First check if she is stock broke and if not sort that out. Big African lion dog might have sheep on the prey list!

Secondly if she is dog aggressive or you can only hunt her solo.

Thirdly, you run a big leggy bitch like that which is quiet and you might see her disappear and not have a clue where she has went! GPS required and that BBC costs money.

There is no rule book and the dog could be brought on to be first class but hunting with big dogs can have consequences which you can get away with using beagles or springers as many hunt then want to return to you. A Rhodesian is a meant as a big independent dog for hunting leopard and lion so you may find this dog sends you crazy as it will work independently out of sight or ear shot without ever thinking it's time to return to you.

Hope this helps a little.

There was once a recognised set of rules with hunting jukels,hunting mutts were bred from to augment hunting kennels and dross never entered the breeding.Now its fashionable to try to be fashionable and polish turds.

• Like 1

If people have a hang up about size then look at a big foxhound and guess what? they hunt foxes from cover!

Is that not a purpose bred dog bred for hundreds of years for the job still you never use hounds for tight bramble they'ed get smashed to bits ! More suited for moors, mountains, woodland etc

If people have a hang up about size then look at a big foxhound and guess what? they hunt foxes from cover!

Is that not a purpose bred dog bred for hundreds of years for the job still you never use hounds for tight bramble they'ed get smashed to bits ! More suited for moors, mountains, woodland etc
i would be disappointed if hounds passed tight bramble and left a fox in it because they didn't want to scratch their ears. I've seen cowardly dogs that were useless at most other jobs make good bushing dogs it is no major achievement pushing foxes out of small covers or hedges. If the man wants to bring his dog for a walk and knock a bit of sport out of it at the same time then best of luck to him maybe the dog will do a bit and maybe it won't he shouldn't have to apologise for breaking the code of ethics of bushing.
  • Like 2

I had a dog years ago,a 60kg English mastiff coss English bull terrier use to kill boars,no need for a knife,but also would smash through 20 feet of tight blackberries to catch rabbits the terriers couldn't reach and bring live to hand.So the ridgeback might do alright too.

Edited by Aussie Whip

i would be disappointed if hounds passed tight bramble and left a fox in it because they didn't want to scratch their ears. I've seen cowardly dogs that were useless at most other jobs make good bushing dogs it is no major achievement pushing foxes out of small covers or hedges. If the man wants to bring his dog for a walk and knock a bit of sport out of it at the same time then best of luck to him maybe the dog will do a bit and maybe it won't he shouldn't have to apologise for breaking the code of ethics of bushing.

What you on about ? You wouldn't get a hound for bushing brambles would you!

The bitch is doing just fine. She has settled right in with the family and my other dogs. She is a good watch dog to have knocking round the yard.

Hunting wise she is very keen and seems to have teamed up with my lakeland and sticks to him like glue. Obviously she cannot get in the tight spots like he can but she is trying which is enough for me. She has pushed a couple of things out of the woods so so far so good.

I've never claimed she will be the greatest busher in the world but you know what fellas that does not bother me. She seems keen to please me and I'm sure I'll have some fun with her.

Thanks to the guys who gave some encouraging comments and the guys who have seemed to take offence to me for giving a dog who has going to be PTS for no reason another chance, chill out fellas I'm the one who will feed her and keep her. She will earn her keep one way or another ATB

• Like 11

The bitch is doing just fine. She has settled right in with the family and my other dogs. She is a good watch dog to have knocking round the yard.

Hunting wise she is very keen and seems to have teamed up with my lakeland and sticks to him like glue. Obviously she cannot get in the tight spots like he can but she is trying which is enough for me. She has pushed a couple of things out of the woods so so far so good.

I've never claimed she will be the greatest busher in the world but you know what fellas that does not bother me. She seems keen to please me and I'm sure I'll have some fun with her.

Thanks to the guys who gave some encouraging comments and the guys who have seemed to take offence to me for giving a dog who has going to be PTS for no reason another chance, chill out fellas I'm the one who will feed her and keep her. She will earn her keep one way or another ATB

good attitude

Edited by ginger beard