Rhodesian Ridgeback Bushing

Hannibal

What can't you believe mate? I've rescued a dog from being PTS and I'm going to try and get her hunting with my dogs. Plenty of people all over the world use ridgebacks for a variety of uses.

I haven't said she will be the greatest dog in the world but I'm sure she will get involved

like it, fair play to you

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not trying to re invent the wheel guys nor am I claiming it is the new next best thing. I've rescued the bitch from being put down and hopefully she will find a place in my pack and she will slot

The bitch is doing just fine. She has settled right in with the family and my other dogs. She is a good watch dog to have knocking round the yard. Hunting wise she is very keen and seems to have team

You know what's fellas,f**k it I'll post what I like about what I like. The mighty hunter brigade pissed me off a bit but oh well. It's quite amusing how people get so offended about what another man

Posted Images

What can't you believe mate? I've rescued a dog from being PTS and I'm going to try and get her hunting with my dogs. Plenty of people all over the world use ridgeband ask about a Ridgeback you are acks for a variety of uses.

I haven't said she will be the greatest dog in the world but I'm sure she will get involved

If i wanted a dog for bushing id have rescued something more suited to the task in hand.Its a good reflection on you mucker that you are willing to give a rescue dog another chance and i applaud you for that,yet a Ridgeback and bushing is certainly going to raise a few eyebrows and comments,good luck with the mutt,especially as a bushing companion.

• Like 1

What can't you believe mate? I've rescued a dog from being PTS and I'm going to try and get her hunting with my dogs. Plenty of people all over the world use ridgebacks for a variety of uses.

I wouldn't bother explaining yourself mate. Crack on and good luck
  • Like 3

There is no hunting rule book.

First check if she is stock broke and if not sort that out. Big African lion dog might have sheep on the prey list!

Secondly if she is dog aggressive or you can only hunt her solo.

Thirdly, you run a big leggy bitch like that which is quiet and you might see her disappear and not have a clue where she has went! GPS required and that BBC costs money.

There is no rule book and the dog could be brought on to be first class but hunting with big dogs can have consequences which you can get away with using beagles or springers as many hunt then want to return to you. A Rhodesian is a meant as a big independent dog for hunting leopard and lion so you may find this dog sends you crazy as it will work independently out of sight or ear shot without ever thinking it's time to return to you.

Hope this helps a little.

I think the most important thing is what you do have is a hunting breed. She may have all the gamedrive in the world but you need to let her know what is unacceptable. If she runs on several fields away you may lose her for hours and that can't be trained out of a dog. Hence the GPS needed. In the end you have a big African Hound.

Ya know what you will never ever know until you try but watch out for lambs!

Worst outcome will be it will stop thieving twats coming round to you house and if it keeps your missus happy that will do fella I go out with his 65 and he always tells me about the Irish fella who lived at end of his street they used to walk past his house with their ferrets and whistle his dog just a pet cur always caught or put something up so crack on pal

I keep forgetting to say let us know how you get on!!!!! By the way a very established character in the deer tracking world uses a Rhodey to find wounded deer. He hardly ever loses mis-shot deer due to that dog so I know how good they are in different hunting ways.

I really am dying to hear how this bitch turns out, now, don't expect her to work for you straight away of course, but if you let her rag a few pelts she will get the idea. Few ferreters on here bound to help you out there or just push a rabbit from a hedge out in front of her with other dogs and she'll soon get the idea.