Raw Feed

I read a great greyhound book one time that said "dogs metabolise fat as energy and metabolise carbs as fat". Meaning give your dog carbs (bread, pasta and potatoes) and the dog might store that as fat, but give a dog fat (i.e. beef trimmings) and it uses this directly as energy.

The book is words written by one man and read by another so I can't say there is any truth in it but what I do know is there aren't many dogs in the country that will refuse the scraps from a Sunday dinner which is mostly potatoes and gravy! I definitely wouldn't say this would make a fat dog either.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The feeding of greyhounds and racehorses is an exact science because the clock is your master. Everyone in that game is treating their animals to the best of their ability but the man who's animal is

because you will never beat nature and dogs have evolved to eat raw meat ... just the same as there's been a lot of money spent on milk substitutes but you will never beat mothers milk ......

All my dogs 8 beagles 2 terriers and a big lurcher only get fed raw meat. We're coming to the end of the season and none of them are lacking in anything.same as every other season.I don't get all thes

Posted Images

None of my dogs will eat spuds

Mine will but it comes out looking like it went in, carrots are the same. If fact a lot of greens and veg just go straight through a dog so I can't see how they're of benefit ,hence the reason most herbivores have several stomachs or carry out refection.

Kibble is the same. How is it if you feed a cup of kibble you pick up the equivalent in crap ?????????? That doesn't make sense.

Whereas if you fed beef to a dog 'till it's belly is full you just pick up a small amount of crap the next morning.

You don't have to be a canine nutritionist to see what I'm getting at.

If kibble and flesh had the exact same food value and were the same price the big difference in the amount of crap you've dispose off is a big factor, especially if you've a yard full.

• Like 6

Was looking at some greyhound forums last night trying to figure out why trainers make dogs vomit, it's called bileing, they are trying to replicate what a dog does naturally when they eat grass and then throw up, it's to get rid of unwanted or excess bile, it's recommended you do it every 2 or 3 months, there is actually a tablet or liquid you can get if you don't want to get your fingers dirty. Some state no performance improvement, others claim big performance improvement, but the fact is that it goes on a lot.

Mary .You might want to stick your fingers down your own throat as you are being fed bullshit despite what your eyes saw .

Lol, no thanks, I take most things with a pinch of salt fox dropper, irrelevant to me what he does with his dogs or what goes on in his yard, just thought it was interesting so I posted it up.

Sure that kibble is 90% barley. I bet it is the barley husk not that it matters. Frig the pet food people sell some of that stuff for "sporting dogs" and charge anything from £10-50 for 15kgs but ultimately the dogs are eating sheep feed with a small addition of beef derivatives. I think they get away with it by marketing the protein content i.e. 26% etc.

When you look at the hunt kennels their hounds are solid. Eating nothing but deadfall. Like a pack of hyenas!

• Like 1

All my dogs 8 beagles 2 terriers and a big lurcher only get fed raw meat. We're coming to the end of the season and none of them are lacking in anything.same as every other season.I don't get all these fancy foods 20%//30%protein. Plenty of raw and plenty of work

• Like 6

Feed ours on more or less 100% raw flesh, chicken and/or turkey carcasses. The flesh, fat and bone. An ex-hound pack of ours carried out nutritional studies and found it to contain everything required. Hard to beat beef but I think fat & bone containing marrow of some kind would also need to be included to provide the full spectrum of nutrition. Wouldnt entertain dog nuts but fine if thats all you can get. JMO.

• Like 4

Was looking at some greyhound forums last night trying to figure out why trainers make dogs vomit, it's called bileing, they are trying to replicate what a dog does naturally when they eat grass and then throw up, it's to get rid of unwanted or excess bile, it's recommended you do it every 2 or 3 months, there is actually a tablet or liquid you can get if you don't want to get your fingers dirty. Some state no performance improvement, others claim big performance improvement, but the fact is that it goes on a lot.

washing soda a lot of people use-theres stuff called apomorphine thats an eye-biler(a sniff of it gets into a dogs eye/nostril and they nearly puke up their bollix)-very hard to get-think its for parkinsons(whatever they give it to them poor craters for)

I used to buy fresh turkey drumsticks for the pressa yrs ago.

He would bite through them like crisps lol.

And would love a whole gutted rabbit un skinned.

Used to watch him crunching that no effort at all.

The Staff bitch i had.

Liked rabbit heads the best.

But when ferreting she would pile 3 or 4 rabbits up and lye on them.

Think she was broody.