How Do You Do It?

I've just searched about spanning a dog as I can't span mine. People where saying it's not a problem but they always like to have a smaller dog to get into the tighter places. I've seen some people's terriers and they was all like peas in a pod very simalar size and shape so to me the chap is happy with the work his dogs do so breeds to a type. whats the pros and cons of each? Cheers

The only place I've ever seen a terrier spanned is the show ring and then it's usually by a judge who thinks more of lookers than workers.

I can safely say that in a conversation with other terrier men the topic of spanning has never come up.

Personally I think you should try and get away with as big a terrier as possible as their job is tough and there's no point in a terrier being very game if it's a 12 lb rat with a beak instead of a muzzle. IMO there's no excuse for weak weedy terriers and to expect them to work hard is not fair.

Also, at the end of the day we've all seen 18 lb dog foxes squeeze into little holes that your fist wouldn't go through so how small a terrier is needed there ?

IMO good solid terriers being handled by a man who's good on the shovel and knows his job will account for most things that live under ground.

• Like 10

Good post Neil. Majority of the time a good size terrier will make it if they want to. I would prefer to dig to a bigger terrier that's trying to get on rather than a smaller terrier that can't hold the quarry when it wants to go.

• Like 2

Cheers mate I've not weighed the dog but to pick him up he feels a lot heavier then he looks. Puts my mind at rest that terriermen don't put much thought into spanning as I'm not one for showing I just want to work him. Atb

If he's fit and healthy and weighs more than he looks that's always a good thing IMO.

It's one of the most important physical traits in a terrier IMO. Tail and ear carriage, spanable, feet and legs etc. 90% of the time are a cosmetic requirement in a terriermans eye IMO.

But a good solid physique covered in a good weather proof jacket will do me every time.

• Like 2

Good post Neil. Majority of the time a good size terrier will make it if they want to. I would prefer to dig to a bigger terrier that's trying to get on rather than a smaller terrier that can't hold the quarry when it wants to go.

Exactly. There's no point in having a heart the size of a house and a body the size of a mouse. A little terrier like that will die or quit.

Over the years I've only ever seen a few (what I'd consider) small terriers who were very good. I always admired these but they're not for me.

No doubt we're going to see the quote "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."

But that's the way to bet.

Cheers mate I've not weighed the dog but to pick him up he feels a lot heavier then he looks. Puts my mind at rest that terriermen don't put much thought into spanning as I'm not one for showing I just want to work him. Atb

If he's fit and healthy and weighs more than he looks that's always a good thing IMO.

It's one of the most important physical traits in a terrier IMO. Tail and ear carriage, spanable, feet and legs etc. 90% of the time are a cosmetic requirement in a terriermans eye IMO.

But a good solid physique covered in a good weather proof jacket will do me every time.

That's good then just see if he's got the heart to go with it then cheers for the reply

• Like 1

Spanning a terrier is just a gauge, that changes with the size of your hands.

true it gives people a idea of the size of chest and anyone who has followed it ( this is years ago when I saw it mainly done )if the had the own savy would say ,I have little or big hands . the judges at shows , some just do it as the thing to be looked at or give themselves a fair know and probably because of there dogs size . saw judges though judging big terriers and going back to a couple he liked and choosing it from maybe some margin in his hands .I think some just do it to look say professional

I remember a Jp quote , something like span a pub ash tray ( thing of the past i know lol ) you can't ,take it to most holes and it will fit or something like that, i judged a show last year the first for 15 years , i dreaded it but it was a favor, i was very lucky and a class load of workers turn up on the day could they be spanned , well not with my little hands, and i really enjoyed my day :) the span test has come in just for showing , there are better judges than us under ground ... small enough to get big enough to stay :) judging a show should be about picking a terrier you would like to take out digging ...... most judges pick a terrier they would like to take showing :)

• Like 8