Rabbits Not Bolting

Its the same with us we walk over burrows shout across to mates we got another one you fin sleeping the farmer comes over with the motor ticking over so does that take it back to a ferrets working ability some will make a rabbit bolt others wont they just latch on ? or are happy to sit a scratch a rabbits arse ?.

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't wish to be controversial but I think if they are going to bolt they will anyway regardless of noise, at the start of the season I was doing hedgerows that needed cutting back branches snapping a

Most of our permissions we have to clear handfuls of brash etc to get a net on plus snapping many branches etc imo it makes no difference making a noise on top of a warren.We bolted rabbits as the Che

They soon learn stealth is key       This little bugger didn't mind but then he wasn't bought up with it

Posted Images

Tell you what lads. Have a look at Zeus Polecat's underground adventures with the ferret. He's in the Scottish Borders (my homeland) working some fairly easy hedgerows but with not that many rabbits to go at. It's hard to believe the audacity of the rabbit with a ferret up it's ass. Highly recommended. Jok.

• Like 3

Just done two consecutive days ferreting. Pure pest control, paid job and I look bad missing rabbits. It's light ground,easy digging and shallow warrens....I'd rather the ferret kill and have to dig than miss a bolt...Lots of brambles and leaf litter mean we do miss some bolters, it's hard to even place stop nets in some spots so I really don't mind a ferret killing in. Over the two days I noticed no difference with noise effecting bolts. Some spots we even tried banging with spades to stop them but it didn't matter....I even had a big strimmer with a blade on over some warrens, they still bolted. Other spots we were sneaking up, setting a long net and tip toeing around....And ending up digging

• Like 1

I have had the opposite to you guys. When I do holes that I know are getting ferreted often the rabbits are always really reluctant to bolt or they come out of the exact hole that is just too hard to stick a purse net on. In fact, they wait a good while before emerging and it's usually a big buck that comes tearing out of a hole that's near impossible to get a net on. It's as though they got away with it before and are trying it again.

As for the noise, when I take out lads that are noisy with no experience or if it is a real still day and the noise carries I find rabbits just walking up to the nets. The are so hard to bolt, usually throwing nets because they just slowly walk out and if you stand stock still they just look right at you. I always hate the sight of a rabbit turning round and going back under on those days as I think "ahhhh frig, this is going to be a long day".

On the other hand, if I am working shallow turf banks the rabbits come flying out of them. You would think that with the shallow earth and the type of fibrous turf ground that sound would carry really well and therefore rabbits reluctant to bolt, but the opposite happens. They near pull the pegs out of the ground.

Have we thought about the ferret??!!!!

I mean the perfect ferret is a tiny greyhound jill that just goes mental on a rabbit but not big enough to hold it. Therefore the rabbit thinks "stuff this, this ferret is mental", that is when we get some great bolting.

I have never had a lazy ferret, I have had a ferret that refuses to eat rabbits which was brilliant for me, especially that the ferret went through all the motions of hunting but just not eating them. I still talk about this wee jill to this very day.

Same here micro ferrets arent for me a good sized jill with the stamina to work all day 3/4 days a week and no but i wait 5 mines after there stationary then go in with the spade

• Like 1

We were using a mate's big hobs the other day...Two rabbits bolted from unseen bolt holes but were pinned into the hole by just one leg which the ferret had hold of...No way would my little Jill's have held them rabbits.

Iv also seen little Jill's that could kill a rabbit quick as look at it. Maybe the little Jill's can get to their heads easier.

I guess you gotta know your ferret and how it works.

• Like 2

I got two hobs for working big sandy earths which they excel at one mark one hole rabbits out my jills where getting pulled all over the tubes you would dig a hole and the rabbits pulling the ferrets about and they would just be out of reach , but use the hobs else where there like pythons you dont need nets you get them wrapped round the rabbits just inside the holes

When the rabbits start to pair up they are hard to bolt try a couple of hobs as the rabbits wont stay and try to kick a hob as much as a jill

Dont think noise makes a differance as rabbits sometimes bolt when you are digging to them .as said before if the rabbits have been ferretted before they will be harder to bolt some days you have to dig most of them its just potluck

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...
On 06/02/2017 at 13:49, RTurlough said:

If you hunt with anyone that is talking while walking up to holes, thudding their feet, coughing, smoking or doing anything that is not being a ninja round the rabbit holes.......give them a clip round the ear! This includes leaving the ferret box on top of the warren while setting nets (keep it a good 50yds away) and if you have a spade or spit don't be striking it into the earth once you get to holes you are about to start netting. Set everything down gently, tiptoe, get your nets set, open the box really quietly and put the ferret down. Once is an accident, twice is coincidence and third time is the alarm. An old infantry saying.

What about the bells ringing in the ferrets?

• Haha 3

Years ago when there were no locators you remained silent ! you had to listen for every bump or squeal that was made so that you had a good idea where to enter a liner , now days people are not as cautious because the rely on a locater to find a grounded Ferret but common tells you it is better to be quite and still until the action starts and then some noise is acceptable, over the years whilst digging i have had hundreds probably more rabbits bolt when digging out or just putting nets down  so who knows but i have noticed that Rabbits bolt better into longnets rather than purse nets .

25487188_10210566566549459_1841899807579671064_o (1).jpg

• Like 2