Dogs On Point

HPR

Looks nice and well built . I like her mate

Cheers, she's a nice bitch, hope I can make her up to a good bitch, I'm learning as I go along. My friend has a sister of her pointing and flushing very well, but her retreive is not the best, probably because she kept stalking and catching pigeons in the 2 acre garden she has the run off.....always something??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any one who's got pics of dogs on point please share .

Buck on Point to a woodcock and a cock pheasant sat side by side at eight months of age.  

I like this one you can see the henbird just in fron of him!  

Posted Images

A few years ago I was able to watch my mates two GSHP do a couple of dual/double points on partridge they are pets only but of course because of their breeding the instinct is there,we were on a raised flood bank and were able to look down on the dogs "so to speak",there was no vocal command the dogs did the point one moved forward then the other. By eck brilliant to see I am a lurcher man (deerhound cross) but appreciate other working breeds,i wish I had taken some photos at the time so any more shown on here as regards a duel/double point would be most appreciated,cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi David.

Quails arrive from Africa in spring and the hunting season is in August-September.

When I was a kid there used to be a lot of them, specially in high altitude cereal fields but the fact that Northern Africa has now plenty of irrigated areas, specially Morocco, and the awful netting being practiced by some b*****ds who consider themselves hunters at the coast border has reduced their numbers dramatically.

The good thing is that you can go and just train your pointer and decide to shoot or not. In my opinion quail hunting is the best school for pointers. As I said, can't wait for them and put my young setter to the test!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi David.

Quails arrive from Africa in spring and the hunting season is in August-September.

When I was a kid there used to be a lot of them, specially in high altitude cereal fields but the fact that Northern Africa has now plenty of irrigated areas, specially Morocco, and the awful netting being practiced by some b*****ds who consider themselves hunters at the coast border has reduced their numbers dramatically.

The good thing is that you can go and just train your pointer and decide to shoot or not. In my opinion quail hunting is the best school for pointers. As I said, can't wait for them and put my young setter to the test!

Cheers.

Q

Hi David.

Cheers.

Quail seem to be an ideal training aid.

Good birds that will lie to a point make good dogs.

I have to pay and I release pheasant and partridge as there are no wild stock left around here but I'm lucky to have a good amount of wild woodcock and snipe to hunt in the winter.

Totally agree with the type of birds that make great pointers. Snipe and woodcock are superb birds for that purpose.

I once went snipe hunting and it was a complete joy (well, I think I hadn't missed so many birds in my entire life but I had a great time).

Sorry to hear you lack the other birds.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...