Getting Them Fit.

walking a terrier on the lead a little thought the week along with working them would be enough for most terriers. but their all different. The terrier that I think struggle is the one with the owner who leaves is terrier in the kennel through the week every week then on a Saturday morning puts him in the van in the dog box from there to the quad bike in the dog box from there too the earth . the terrier will be used there and expected to be used in the next earth if sound the next earth it is then when the lack of fitness will tell and men question the dogs not their self

• Like 8

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the 70 and year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether i

Posted Images

While I knew there is probably a small few who do Id like to put a lie detector test on 90% of these lads that say they genuinely give there dogs 6 mile a day on bike 7 days a week. It sounds good on a computer screen though.what about these 70 and 80 year old legendary terriermen with 30 dogs on there yard they must be wore out going for a dig after doing 180 miles on the bike and the dogs are still world beaters

• Like 7

An unfit terrier can get the job done in light easy places no bother but its when terrier is in ground for a few hrs is when fitness really counts. It's a bit like any sport really. To succeed you have to be at ur best for the whole game not just the first half.

• Like 4

In total honesty my dogs get an hour walk a night with having a family and a job with long hours its the best I can do. On a weekend I have 1 day hunting where I am out allday with them then they get a long walk the uther day and they have never been lacking in fitness to get the job done

• Like 4

Mine run next to the quad and love it . The old dog will do a mile or so then jump on my lap first chance he gets crafty old git. I think fitness plays a big part in my dogs . I ve seen lads dogs got out boxes fat and way out of condition and they re blowing out their arse after an hour in the ground. Even my older dogs are keen to get back in after a few hours to ground . The work they do is hard cramped and rough so why not have them fit to do it

• Like 1

Fitness is a massive part in a hard working dog

Flirt pole

Spring pole

Mill

Free running

Hill runs

Loads of other stuff

Me and my pal are also experimenting with wall jumping and stair running. It works for people so why not dogs? Seems to be doing ok thus far

While I knew there is probably a small few who do Id like to put a lie detector test on 90% of these lads that say they genuinely give there dogs 6 mile a day on bike 7 days a week. It sounds good on a computer screen though.what about these 70 and 80 year old legendary terriermen with 30 dogs on there yard they must be wore out going for a dig after doing 180 miles on the bike and the dogs are still world beaters

You don't have to believe a word I say jiggy.

But I've never been 1 for lying.

I threw a well paid job in 3yrs 3 weeks ago.

Due to the wife struggling with our 2 disabled kids.

So I've got plenty of time for the dogs in the daytime or night.

One day I will have to go back to work.

And I will be wishing I wasn't working.

8 to 10 miles a day I was walking the dogs they were free running when I was living in Wales up the mountain over heather ground forestry etc.

Every single day no matter the weather. On very rainy days I would stick to the forestry roads for a little shelter.

And wish I was walking up there this minute lol.

Really miss the mountains.

You could walk 6hrs and not see another person all day.

• Like 3

Fitness is a massive part in a hard working dog

Flirt pole

Spring pole

Mill

Free running

Hill runs

Loads of other stuff

Me and my pal are also experimenting with wall jumping and stair running. It works for people so why not dogs? Seems to be doing ok thus far

Theres a difference between general fitness and optimum fitness. All terriers need to be fit but is such a high level of fitness needed? Fair enough its good for them but to do all that work with them you would need to have plenty of spare time. So anyone with a fulltime job and/or young family are out of the equation. Also are you going to keep that regime up for the terriers full life? If not then you're going to find a terrier that is full of energy that it doesnt know what to do with. Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 5

I used to box when i first started i wad unfit overweight and didnt want to spar .4 month later after jogging regularly everything about me had changed confidence was up i spoke differently i even walked different.fitness brings confidence so im assuming it could do the same for a dog but as some people have said if the dog is born with the heart nothings gonna stop him

• Like 3

It's not the 70 and 80 year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They walked a few miles to school walked home and went hunting, walked out to hunt with hounds, followed on foot and walked home again.

I've never seen one with 30 working dogs on their yard. But I don't go to many yards either.

I'd worry more about the guys that have come into this with no background in hounds or hunting or keeping stock or even sport. Who've no idea what it is to be fit. They're soft around the middle and lazy and the fault is only ever the dogs. They just want to drive out and game test their terriers and nothing else or hit numbers or big it up on FB.

This old boy is nearly 80, the highlight of his day is walking the dogs and chatting to neighbours, now he does rate a dog that "he's a great dog to pull me up a hill when I talk to him". An hour and a half walking is done no matter the weather. Same as going hunting with hounds on foot, everyone out is careful to make sure he gets plenty lifts and never let behind. But he won't be far away.

post-2854-0-29460500-1486117301_thumb.jpg

what you see here is the self satisfied grin of a man who's dog has just drawn out a fox without a shovel hitting the ground. He knows hard work pays off.

post-2854-0-72206300-1486117435_thumb.jpg

no show leads

post-2854-0-19098300-1486117673_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

8 to 10 miles a day I was walking the dogs they were free running when I was living in Wales up the mountain over heather ground forestry etc.

Every single day no matter the weather. On very rainy days I would stick to the forestry roads for a little shelter.

i can relate to that mate . I had a real shit year last year and it was only getting in the hills with the dogs that got me through. Gives you time to think and makes you feel hell of a lot better watching the dogs and taking the views in.

i can relate to that mate . I had a real shit year last year and it was only getting in the hills with the dogs that got me through. Gives you time to think and makes you feel hell of a lot better watching the dogs and taking the views in.
It is priceless jake.

It definately clears your mind 100%.

It's addictive getting up them hills with a few dogs.

Constantly watching the dogs etc.

Feck sitting in a pub.that will rot your mind.

• Like 2

It's not the 70 and 80 year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They walked a few miles to school walked home and went hunting, walked out to hunt with hounds, followed on foot and walked home again.

I've never seen one with 30 working dogs on their yard. But I don't go to many yards either.

I'd worry more about the guys that have come into this with no background in hounds or hunting or keeping stock or even sport. Who've no idea what it is to be fit. They're soft around the middle and lazy and the fault is only ever the dogs. They just want to drive out and game test their terriers and nothing else or hit numbers or big it up on FB.

This old boy is nearly 80, the highlight of his day is walking the dogs and chatting to neighbours, now he does rate a dog that "he's a great dog to pull me up a hill when I talk to him". An hour and a half walking is done no matter the weather. Same as going hunting with hounds on foot, everyone out is careful to make sure he gets plenty lifts and never let behind. But he won't be far away.

attachicon.gifDSC00218.jpg

what you see here is the self satisfied grin of a man who's dog has just drawn out a fox without a shovel hitting the ground. He knows hard work pays off.

attachicon.gifIMG00208-20110818-0956.jpg

no show leads

attachicon.gifIMG_2124.jpg

I hope I'm out walking the dogs at 80yr old Bryan.

That smile he's got holding the dog says it all.

Can see the sparkle in his eye.

That only a dog can make.

• Like 1