Oil Fired Boilers

I use about 2000/2500 litres a year for a 3 bedroom house for heating and hot water cost me around £2/2.50 a day, don't think that's bad?

And the boiler is never off 24/7.

We moved in in the middle of October and have used 1400 litres so far and I've got another 800 coming tomorrow. This time I am going to put marks on the tube for measuring so I can work out a rough % we use. Since we've had it serviced and we know it was running bad before maybe we'll get better efficiency.

I don't think that's bad, I noticed we only use approx 500 litres through the summer and the rest in the colder months.

Do you have a room thermostat or is thermostat build into boiler. We where using a lot more oil until we had a room thermostat fitted.

Yeh it's one of those older ones, grey in colour with a wheel, I'm forever messing with it. I do work at night so I am sitting here till 4 or 5am and so I want the heating on at night. We used to have mains gas and our bills were about 110 per month, I assume oil is more expensive and I expected that but was just shocked at how fast this has gone down and a rough calculation would be closer to 200 a month in winter....after what Pesky just said I am going to check the garden for footprints lol maybe someones pinching it. The constant lock out is very suspicious, it's not as bad after we had someone look at it but it still happens. It's an old boiler and we are going to do the kitchen at some point so when we do I think an external on and new oil pipes would be a good idea. Our pipes are under concrete, I don't know how old there are, they could be corroded for all I know....in fact now I think about it concrete will corrode metal wont it?

if your heating is on all day and night nick then your usage is probably right you need to get some thicker jumpers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oil prices fluctuate across the year but you always have to shop around. Some companies will let you pre-order for delivery later in the year. I have a 1500 litre tank but usually only put about 500

Are you sure the loft monster isn't warming his toes at your expense?. Jok.

We have a good deep hearth so that helps but even so the carpet has a few hot rock holes but that's what rugs are for hopefully I will be putting a oak floor down next ...I like the smell of coal als

Mine is on for an hour in the morning to make getting up bearable and a bit of hot water. Then 8pm to midnight. I usually cope with 500 litres November to March then maybe a top up of 300 litres.

It all depends on the climate.

If it rains all year then the laundry has to dry somehow

If you can, have a stove. It lifts the temperature and makes your lounge nice to be in. Never worry about confidential waste and it is something to watch when the telly is crap, every day then. Have a warm lounge when you can't justify putting the heat on.

Can u use red deisal in these boilers I've read u can on internet any of u lads tryed it

i wouldnt,,,i think they burn at difrent temps or somthing,,,,and unless the red is free,, somhow....?? heating oil is cheaper

After this thread I worked out how much my heating and hot water has cost me, so from last September when I brought home my turf and I have enough left to last until at least April it will have cost me £300 sterling.........happy with that :)

• Like 1

What are peoples thoughts on house coal versus smokeless? House coal is hard to control and burns faster (smells amazing as well lol) but is very cheap.

I wonder which is more cost efficient

I found smokeless shite, it doesn't break down properly and doesn't burn as hot. As for house coal I've found the quality to differ so much from each supplier that you can't generalise on it you have to judge each suppliers stuff on its own

I found smokeless shite, it doesn't break down properly and doesn't burn as hot. As for house coal I've found the quality to differ so much from each supplier that you can't generalise on it you have to judge each suppliers stuff on its own

Your obviously burning the wrong type of smokeless coal if it ain't burning hot ..

What are peoples thoughts on house coal versus smokeless? House coal is hard to control and burns faster (smells amazing as well lol) but is very cheap.

I burn 5 bags a week of premium house coal or 4 bags of smokeless .. Premium is 7.75 a bag smokeless 6.50 a bag ..

By it by the tonne. Works out about 1/2 the price of bags. We pay £170 per half tonne delivered (smokeless ovals).

I find smokeless produces a shit load of ash but burns smoother. With House coal you can get a cracking fire going very fast and with little kindling and creates less ash. For ash wood is the best plus you can chuck it on the garden.

The missus got a 20KG bag of house coal for just over a fiver which is pretty decent. The downside to it is it corrodes liners if you have one.

In our old house we had a bunker and would order in half a tonne at a time but we can't do that right now

It's bloody 2017 get rid of the oil and get a air source heating system set up with a elec or lpg back up boiler

heard they are a bit trumpy with the running costs, & whats the lowest temp that they work in?

I prefer house coal myself I've tried smokless and the high calorie coal (can't remember the name) and to be honest wasn't that impressed and always come back to house coal but all that said being a cabinet maker has its perks I'm currently burning 3 x3 skids that our wood comes stacked on with a bit of south American walnut and a little house coal I find a mix of wood a house coal the best as it all breaks down into a nice easy to deal with ash .
  • Like 1