Fox Trap Issues

Ok, so had issues with the foxes up my sister field. Been up with my missus dad and he's a big dog fox, the run os on the other side of the fence he uses every night, can't snare though as alot of dog walkers walk down that run. We made a trap from a dog crate and pit it by the fence next to so.e gorse bush. It's been baited over the weeks with rabbit, pheasant and chickens,all have been take , trap triggered But no fox. The trap has a hindged door and is only a large dog crate so not very long. We have come to the conclusion the fox is half in half out taking the bait and the door, not being Weighted or anything just rests on his back end allowing him out. I've looked at the trapman cages ,and the one in my price range is 46" long but unsure if its long enough. Just after some advice as he's doing us. Only good thing is he's now used to a meal in a cage at that location.

4 foot will do the job, 5 is better.

I built 2 traps, 6 foot long and two foot x two foot, had a fox last weekend and it looked tiny inside it.

Another thing to be wary of, a fox will open the door if it does not lock shut, I learnt that the first night with my big cage, bait was gone, door had been tripped, no fox ! I built a locking bar that drops down and secures the door shut, never had a trap sprung and no fox since.

Kind offer walshie.

Thanks for the offer walshie, im up Newport way so a bit of a distance otherwise i would of taken you up on the offer. I guess this cage is around three foot long bit the fox is very large, an old boy for sure. I will check out those web sites, so 6 foot trap is overkill?

Thanks for the offer walshie, im up Newport way so a bit of a distance otherwise i would of taken you up on the offer. I guess this cage is around three foot long bit the fox is very large, an old boy for sure. I will check out those web sites, so 6 foot trap is overkill?

Bigger the better really. I've tried 4 and 5 foot and the 5 foot is perfect for what i've needed.

It's easy to make your own if you can get a discarded shopping trolley and use an angle grinder. Plus two bungee cords. Look up Youtube to see how it's done. Here is mine

3_zpsj3xmog1e.jpg

Stumpy_zpsknli1bc3.jpg

Door is held open by the black pipe which has a notch cut near the right hand end. Notch is hooked on mesh of trolley. Taking the bait unlatches notch and so door falls down and latches. Door action is fast due to the two red bungee cords.

Ok, so had issues with the foxes up my sister field. Been up with my missus dad and he's a big dog fox, the run os on the other side of the fence he uses every night, can't snare though as alot of dog walkers walk down that run. We made a trap from a dog crate and pit it by the fence next to so.e gorse bush. It's been baited over the weeks with rabbit, pheasant and chickens,all have been take , trap triggered But no fox. The trap has a hindged door and is only a large dog crate so not very long. We have come to the conclusion the fox is half in half out taking the bait and the door, not being Weighted or anything just rests on his back end allowing him out. I've looked at the trapman cages ,and the one in my price range is 46" long but unsure if its long enough. Just after some advice as he's doing us. Only good thing is he's now used to a meal in a cage at that location.

Darrren if you want i will come and have a look im sure there will be places to set some wires in your sisters ground . i assume he is after chickens ? a good idea is to set wires of the corner of the pen if this is the case .anyhow the offer is there if you want me to have a look .

• Like 1

This looks familiar Walshie.LOL. Got mine set as we speak. Never thought of bungee chords though. Still a bounty on these carriages is there?? Jok.

Yes there is. For £100 i'd rather buy a proper one than have my garden look like the bottom of a canal. :laugh:

Know what you mean. However. Can you see Griff buying one? Thought not. I'm kinda in the same mould and like a bit of DIY as you know. I'll get a barstuard sooner or later. HAHA? Jok.

Griff's would look a bit better than a shopping trolley with the wheels removed. :yes:

6 ft ain't overkill, the bigger the better, I bought four heavy duty sheets of galv weld mesh for £60 (8 foot x 4 foot) and the rest was just odds and ends laying around, a bit of time with a disc cutter and welder, I have two traps for £60 plus sundries that look smart, work well, and will last my lifetime easily and probably the next generation as well.

I built one with a pull cord to trip the door so I can tie chickens etc on, and built one with a floor plate so I can use eggs, foxes love eggs, I rate it as one of the best fox baits

I have to agree there Walshie but beggars be as beggars must. Still an achievement. Just a twat when you go each day and every so often the thing is sprung with no result. Hey ho we keep trying. No what pal. I got thinking the other day. Do you reckon a magpie would go in to the trap, Spring it trying to get the carcass out and then easily getting through the bars.I've ordered a trail camera to finally find out what is going on. Bet you have one or two lol.Jok.

I have to agree there Walshie but beggars be as beggars must. Still an achievement. Just a twat when you go each day and every so often the thing is sprung with no result. Hey ho we keep trying. No what pal. I got thinking the other day. Do you reckon a magpie would go in to the trap, Spring it trying to get the carcass out and then easily getting through the bars.I've ordered a trail camera to finally find out what is going on. Bet you have one or two lol.Jok.

You wouldn't use a fox cage to do your shopping. Why use a shopping trolley to trap foxes? I doubt a bird could set the trap off. It's probably because it's too short and closing while the fox is half in and half out. :yes:

Or a sneaky fox or cat batting the bait around through the bars from outside.

This looks familiar Walshie.LOL. Got mine set as we speak. Never thought of bungee chords though. Still a bounty on these carriages is there?? Jok.

Yes there is. For £100 i'd rather buy a proper one than have my garden look like the bottom of a canal. :laugh:

Why knock it? It works a treat and it cost me nowt.

Has since been painted in "Nato Green" matt , clad with some green astro-turf and located under some laurels.

P.S. I wish I was as rich as you. Could you spare me an odd £100?