Knifes

Arry

Guys, i'm wondering if any of you have tried these hooked gutting knifes are they any good for paunching rabbits ?

I've got all sorts of knifes, but never try these hook type are they mainly for deer ?

Cheers Arry

Learn how to use a nice sharp pointed knife. You limit the depth of entry by holding your for finger and thumb either side of the pointed end of the knife.

Gut hooks are better used for bigger game. You can use them on rabbits, but you have to nick the skin to be able to use your gut hook. So you may as well use your knife.

Been doing it a while now mate over fifty years, but if something come along that make the job easier i'm up for trying it. Thanks for answering just curious really, sounds like to much faffing around, Didn't want to buy one just to try.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

I use a opinel and do the whole fingers either side and unzip the rabbit . Recently ive started using a stanley as the blades are cheap and like razors . I would imagine if you had a deer to do on a regular basis a gut knife would be good . Also ive bought a few of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-1996B-Knife-Blades-Hooked/dp/B0001IWDCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485799867&sr=8-1&keywords=stanley+hook+blades

Which could be real good substitutes for a git knife .

Like you i always fancied a gut hook and thought about it but after speaking to a knife guy i was told if im doing rabbits their hardly worth the bother

• Like 1

I like the Opinel as well, which i also drilled a hole in the handle tied a bit of draw cored to a cheap carabiner and clip to my belt loop, handy being wooden handle. Just got to remember to close the blade after legging a rabbit or gutting, couple of time found it hanging by the string still open.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry

stanly,,or craft knifes from the pound shop...8 for a pound,,,every coat,,fleese,,bodywarmer,,kagool,,,pocket has one,,,as well as purse net bag,,and glove box....just the tip out...

stanly knifes usualy come with spare blades in the handle,,,some of these can be the hooked carpet cutting blades,,very similar to a gut hook knife

• Like 1

stanly,,or craft knifes from the pound shop...8 for a pound,,,every coat,,fleese,,bodywarmer,,kagool,,,pocket has one,,,as well as purse net bag,,and glove box....just the tip out...

stanly knifes usualy come with spare blades in the handle,,,some of these can be the hooked carpet cutting blades,,very similar to a gut hook knife

Do the carpet blades work well then?

Cheers Arry

Cheers Arry

I used to use an Opinel,but after seeing the vids on here possibly Tomo,started using the disposable craft knives,quicker,no messing about sharpening etc,quick snap and you've a new blade.Also if you've a few to do and are rushing theres no chance of nicking the guts.....plus if you lose it they cost pennies atb Dave

Edited by northern lad
  • Like 2

I hate opinels.

Personally, I think they are bloody dangerous.

Too many times I've reached into a pocket to find the collar has worked around and the blade has slipped open slightly.

The fixed blade mora knives are cheap, good blade steel and dishwasher proof, likewise the svord mini peasant knives (plastic handled version

• Like 1

Cheers Arry

to be honest when i tried them ,,i kept knicking the guts more ,,,perhaps i needed more practice with that type ,,,i much prefer the normal craft knife with just the tip showing

• Like 2