Bad End To Season

Took my bitch on the last shoot for me this season and she was a different animal, up until now she has been in my eyes good, no running in only chased once and stopping to flush nearly every time, on Friday every hedge where a bird had gone up ahead she ran up blanking my whistle until it had flushed, then ran in on birds on a drive, then ran ahead and flushed then chased a bird, I couldn't believe it, she's coming up to 2 now so I know still young but a bit gutted as like I say she was doing well before, would it be the right thing to take her where there are birds and correct her when running in or try steadying her up another way?

• 4 weeks later...

The season has finished. Approach whichever shoot you have been on and ask can you take your dog on for training. There should be a few birds still around, and no young birds are going down for a long time yet. Get your dog tight again. Sitting to the flush, hunting a good pattern and no chasing or running in. Aim for perfection, if it moves on a stop correct it, if it creeps on a flush, correct it. If it ignores the turn whistle, correct it. If it chases, you chase the dog down and correct it. It's a good time of year because any mistakes aren't gong to ruin a drive, and you won't have a shoot captain or gamekeeper screaming at you.

• Like 2

The season has finished. Approach whichever shoot you have been on and ask can you take your dog on for training. There should be a few birds still around, and no young birds are going down for a long time yet. Get your dog tight again. Sitting to the flush, hunting a good pattern and no chasing or running in. Aim for perfection, if it moves on a stop correct it, if it creeps on a flush, correct it. If it ignores the turn whistle, correct it. If it chases, you chase the dog down and correct it. It's a good time of year because any mistakes aren't gong to ruin a drive, and you won't have a shoot captain or gamekeeper screaming at you.

Yeah it happens. Be consistent and the storm will pass.

Thanks for advice, rang keeper earlier and he gave me the green light to go on land to try and train the dog some more and hopefully get it right again, it seems to think it can hunt up more now so I will have my work cut out , she was tight and observent before so I don't see why not again

As the season goes on the dog thinks it knows more than you, and they usually do, but that's not the game. They will pull on as the season progresses, and that will happen every season that you work your dog. Its just part of the training regime, which is constant. Be consistent and strict. What is happening to you happens to most spaniel owners, including top trialling dogs. Enjoy the extra days in the wood.

Went on shoot ground today, went in maise with her kept her close but very excited, watched birds leave and go into small wood, walked behind birds which she saw a couple of but didn't run in kept quite tight till the end of wood then ran in ignoring the stop whistle , chased into field with me chasing her she finally stopped , I started blowing whistle repeatedly whilst correcting her, went back in wood she flushed a couple and stopped on whistle then one flew into release pen wire getting stuck she snapped at it a couple of times before sitting to whistle whilst watching bird trying to get out, I tried to grab it but it freed itself, then she ran after another one ignoring the whistle again, same reprimand as before, took her to another bit of wood and started again,she worked with her eye on me more this time, coming back after crashing into bits of cover, I didn't let her get far ahead and she flushed about 5 or 6 birds with me stoping her instantly on them, I left it at that and left with mixed feelings,when I hunt her if there is a strong scent of a runner she will race forward if not kept tight, but if you stay on top of her you can control her, just want her to learn her limits if that makes sense?

She sounds like she's full of drive. Just keep on top of her, and don't give her an inch. Her limits should be those you impose on her. It's just control. Be thankful you haven't got a lethargic dog that needs winding up to get any hunting out of it. I assume you have her hunting a tight pattern. Cast her left, allow her to hunt, 15 feet out blow your turn whistle, allow her to come back to you, as she is almost with you then cast her right and repeat the same. If you keep her close it's not so far for you to run and grab her. I was also taught to reinforce some commands by correcting them even when they get it right. An example would be that while hunting you put a stop whistle in. Even if she stops dead with no movement, get out to her, physically put her in a sit and blow the stop again. It makes her concentrate and think, or double think. I thought when I was first advised it would cause confusion, but it doesn't, and it works.

Edited by Mochastorm
  • 1 month later...