My oldest bitch has contracted leptospirosis ,shes up to date with her boosters but the vet tells me there are two new strains of the disease since her last jab now in our country .Vaccines are available along with current boosters .I would urge anyone who does any ratting to get the dogs done asap ,have a word with your vet anyway .She will hopefully make a recovery but at a cost to her liver and my wallet .

• Like 4

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taken about mid November .

Before i begin this ,the bitch Blade has been pts .RIP old girl ,what good times we had . Turn of events . Phoned the vet on another matter and receptionist tells me they've had more definitive blo

Cheers lads and like said ,time to commit fully to the young un here .She was ,in her day one of the most laid back terriers ive ever had .In latter years however she used to wind me up whining at a d

A lost lurcher pup to this 2 year ago fully jabbed up was 7 month old had him at parents farm in field with greyhound pups he took bad so took him to vets they said set in too much so pts all working dogs or even pet dogs exposed to were rats are need the new vac, different strains for different parts country.The dog a lost was in field with litter mate next paddock over 4 greyhound pups month younger all others fine just unlucky for him he picked it up.

I am still very old school,only jab my dogs as pups as by the time they are due a booster they have all been bit to feck by all manner of vermin,some of the farms I go on are worse than tips,vet told me years ago that the bites will give them antibodies to rats,fox,etc, I have never lost a dog to disease in 45yrs but it is something to consider if it is a new strain,1 of my bitches was off colour for a couple of days this week but is okay again now,I hope your bitch recovers fully and is back at it soon,good luck,WM

Edited by Plucky1
  • Like 1

Had a 2 year old lurcher come down with lepto 2 years ago.

She was injected as a pup. Cost quiet a few bob to save her and the vet mentioned there were several cases in the area of a new strain at the time.

You don't have to hunt rats for your dogs to get it.

Fair play FD for making folk aware of such things.

• Like 2

Mine had jabs boosters 2 weeks ago, i said to my vet that he would come into contact with rats on a regular occasion. He understood what I meant and said to book him in for another jab in 4 weeks against a new strain, I hadn't given it another thought until I read this. I will ask for more info when I go back.

Best part is that I paid upfront for jabs for life so he was just being a good bloke rather than offering another jab for his financial gain.

• Like 2

Some say batches of vaccines dont actually work against the disease and are a waste of time and could cause the dog to actually contract it or that it's common to have reactions to it. A little bit of info on it would be good. A few vets would say it's easily treatable if discovered early so the vaccine could be harder on the dog than the cure. I don't know much about it either way and have no opinion on it but would like to hear a bit about it from someone who did.