Major New Threat To Hedgehogs

I write to on a matter of concern relating to Britain’s native wildlife.

Under the Spring Trap Approval Order (2012), last year, DEFRA approved a new vermin “trap” - ostensibly to kill stoats and rats, but DEFRA overlooked the fact that it also kills red squirrels and hedgehogs.

What makes this trap lethal for endangered species is that it is non discriminatory and has the ability to auto-reset. It is powered by a compressed gas capsule which enables it to make the kill, release the body and then reset itself automatically. Again and again for 6 months!

This kill trap cannot differentiate between species. Furthermore, because it releases the kill, any scavenger or predator can remove the body so there is no way of knowing how many or what was killed.

The trap is imported from New Zealand where it was designed to kill hedgehogs which have become a pest there after they were imported from the UK.

Here is a link-
http://www.goodnature.co.nz/pests/#c315

DEFRA's incompetence has demonstrated the law of unintended consequences. They have been absolutely delinquent in this case and the only way things can change is for pressure from the top.

There is therefore an urgent need for as many people as possible to bring this to the attention at the highest level.

I am urging as many people as possible to raise this:-

Dr Therese Coffey MP
Permanent Under Secretary of State (DEFRA)

Emails can be sent to her via kevin.woodhouse@defra.gsi.gov.uk who is in charge of the Ministerial Unit at the Ministry

Doesn't that apply to regular spring traps though? Fenns don't differentiate between a red squirrel or a rat.

The difference suggested is that with typical spring type traps the trapper is more aware of non target kills and can pull the traps or modify the set if it becomes an issue. These kiwi traps (presumably made by the DoC?) don't have that inherent means of assessing every kill by their nature.

With Fenns, if you kill 10 hotchys ya know about it whereas with these automatic traps you could kill a 100 and possibly never know.

Well that's how I understood it....

• Like 1

Doesn't that apply to regular spring traps though? Fenns don't differentiate between a red squirrel or a rat.

The difference suggested is that with typical spring type traps the trapper is more aware of non target kills and can pull the traps or modify the set if it becomes an issue. These kiwi traps (presumably made by the DoC?) don't have that inherent means of assessing every kill by their nature.

With Fenns, if you kill 10 hotchys ya know about it whereas with these automatic traps you could kill a 100 and possibly never know.

That's what I took the post to mean. It also raises the question about visiting traps every day. I surmise that the same requirement is needed for all traps used in this country. So far from being left to kill indiscriminately, they still have the mandatory obligation to be checked every day?

TC

That's what I took the post to mean. It also raises the question about visiting traps every day. I surmise that the same requirement is needed for all traps used in this country. So far from being left to kill indiscriminately, they still have the mandatory obligation to be checked every day?

TC

Isn't that only a legal requirement for live catch and spring traps set for rabbits though? I was under the belief that there is no legislation that requires you to check daily for Fenn trapped squirrels for instance, unlike rabbits which is specifically mentioned in the relevant legislation?

Even if so though I could imagine that there is still the possibility of many kills going unknown about to the trapper. Such a trap would probably become a focus point for carrion eaters, quickly mopping up kills.

TC

Isn't that only a legal requirement for live catch and spring traps set for rabbits though? I was under the belief that there is no legislation that requires you to check daily for Fenn trapped squirrels for instance, unlike rabbits which is specifically mentioned in the relevant legislation?

Even if so though I could imagine that there is still the possibility of many kills going unknown about to the trapper. Such a trap would probably become a focus point for carrion eaters, quickly mopping up kills.

I am not sure, hence the question mark. I always thought that each engine had to be checked every day. Some one who actually knows will be along shortly to put us right. :yes:

TC

They were deliberately designed to be low maintenance - hence the log life lure and the gas canister for auto-resetting. The cannister can have a life of up to six months.

These requirements were for use in remote environments where daily inspections woud be both impractical and costly. They are intended to be "set and forget".

My guess is that if someone shelled out for one at £133 each, they wouldn't want the hassle of checking it every day.

I thought the lure on the goodlife trap was species specific? So if the lure is stoat specific (presumably based on scent made from glands or similar) then it's unlikely to attract a hedgehog? Also from the demo footage I've seen, the trap entrance was vertical and likely difficult for a hedgehog to enter (I suppose the entrance size could also be adjusted to exclude hedgehogs?).

I appreciate the point you're making, given that the trap can specifically be set for hedgehogs, but just wondering how real the threat actually is?

Novice

They were deliberately designed to be low maintenance - hence the log life lure and the gas canister for auto-resetting. The cannister can have a life of up to six months.

These requirements were for use in remote environments where daily inspections woud be both impractical and costly. They are intended to be "set and forget".

My guess is that if someone shelled out for one at £133 each, they wouldn't want the hassle of checking it every day.

They are designed to be low maintenance in their native New Zealand. That does not necessarily make them a low maintenance trap here. The gas cannisters have a life not measured in time but applications. if for example two were set in different locations. One on a hill side for stoats and one in a pig shed for rats. Would they both last six months?

Until you can come up with the actual laws regarding the use of the said traps, I would say speculating is not the way forward.

TC

It's all about being aware of your target species ... it's simple to locate the good nature trap to a position that would make it impossible for it to kill a hedgehog but can still kill rats ... it only takes a tiny bit of thought .....

• Like 3

It's all about being aware of your target species ... it's simple to locate the good nature trap to a position that would make it impossible for it to kill a hedgehog but can still kill rats ... it only takes a tiny bit of thought .....

Once you start getting informed opinions instead of speculation then you start getting near the truth instead of phyco-babble.

TC

They are designed to be low maintenance in their native New Zealand. That does not necessarily make them a low maintenance trap here. The gas cannisters have a life not measured in time but applications. if for example two were set in different locations. One on a hill side for stoats and one in a pig shed for rats. Would they both last six months?

Until you can come up with the actual laws regarding the use of the said traps, I would say speculating is not the way forward.

TC

The law that applies is the Spring Traps Approval Order 2012. They achieved approval via Statutory Instrument No 1427 of 2015. Here it is:-

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1427?view=extent&timeline=true

Tom