Deepwater Horizon The Film

bridge of spys is a good watch

I wonder if they mention in the film the fact that the first two flights were manned by British pilots because they dare not risk a yank until they had more faith in not getting shot down?

I've not even watched the film yet and already I have issues with it! LOL

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

37 years and not cut his finger once, you watching Socks

What happened to Nik B who started this thread. ...did the alt left catch up with him ? 

If you like films based on true events then Sully and Bridge of Spies are decent, both starring Tom Hanks.

I wonder if they mention in the film the fact that the first two flights were manned by British pilots because they dare not risk a yank until they had more faith in not getting shot down?

Ha ha is that true??

Well it's a well made film (Bridge of Spys) but it's got the typical Hollywood feel i.e. the time between Powers getting captured and released is made to seem like its weeks or months when in reality in was over two years.

The worse culprit was Pearl Harbour....If I had owned a cat at the time of watching it I would have kicked it into space! "Hammer Down" Fook off Afleck you total spastic!!

Ha ha is that true??

Well it's a well made film (Bridge of Spys) but it's got the typical Hollywood feel i.e. the time between Powers getting captured and released is made to seem like its weeks or months when in reality in was over two years.

The worse culprit was Pearl Harbour....If I had owned a cat at the time of watching it I would have kicked it into space! "Hammer Down" Fook off Afleck you total spastic!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_U-2_incident#Background

President Eisenhower did not want to fly American U-2 pilots over the Soviet Union because he felt that if one of these pilots were to be shot down or captured that it could be seen as an act of aggression. At a time like the Cold War, any act of aggression could spark open conflict between the two countries. In order to ease the burden of flying Americans into Soviet airspace the idea developed to have British pilots from the Royal Air Force fly these missions in place of the American Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). With the United Kingdom still reeling from the aftermath of the Suez Crisis and in no position to snub American requests, the British government was amenable to the proposal. Using British pilots allowed Eisenhower to be able to use the U-2 plane to see what the Soviet Union was hiding, while still being able to plausibly deny any affiliation if a mission became compromised.

After the success of the first two British pilots and because of pressure to determine the number of Soviet intercontinental ballistic missiles more accurately, Eisenhower allowed the flying of two more missions before the Four Power Paris Summit, scheduled for 16 May. The final two missions before the summit were to be flown by American pilots.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Wow interesting. They lost quite a few of those U2s even after they developed the Sr-71 they wouldn't dare fly it over Soviet airspace after the Powers debacle. The Russians developed the Mig-31 which was a high altitude interceptor specifically to tackle high speed bombers and reconnaissance. The Mig-31 is still in service and is still the fastest combat aircraft in the world, the MSM and Hollywood like to make out they're miles behind us in capability but that isn't true at all.

That film Argo, about the CIA op to save the Americans working in the US embassy in Tehran during the revolution is another one that gripes me. Affleck is explicit in stating that the British turned them away and refused to aid the fleeing Americans, which is historically bullshit! In actual fact the British embassy took the yanks in and looked after them until they decided to safely move them on as being such a strong ally to America the British were obvious suspects and so it was too risky for the Americans to stay.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

That film Argo, about the CIA op to save the American working in the US embassy in Tehran during the revolution is another one that gripes me. Affleck is explicit in stating that the British turned them away and refused to aid the fleeing Americans, which is historically bullshit! In actual fact the British embassy took the yanks in and looked after them until they decided to safely move them on as being such a strong ally to America it was too risky for the Americans to stay.

I barely watch TV, I just started work again and I need something to keep me occupied. Last night I actually downloaded some older war movies, one called Stalingrad made in the 90s which is good. I love Das Boot, Downfall and all of the old ones like the Longest Day, Battle of Britain and A Bridge too Far. They use artistic licence but are closer to documentaries films that the utter shite they produce today.

Even Private Ryan is a ridiculous story from fantasy land and yet it's lauded as the "best WW2 ever made". Yes the cinematography is amazing and they get the uniforms right etc but why insert a story that is utter BS to ruin it?

• Like 1

That film Argo, about the CIA op to save the American working in the US embassy in Tehran during the revolution is another one that gripes me. Affleck is explicit in stating that the British turned them away and refused to aid the fleeing Americans, which is historically bullshit! In actual fact the British embassy took the yanks in and looked after them until they decided to safely move them on as being such a strong ally to America it was too risky for the Americans to stay.

I barely watch TV, I just started work again and I need something to keep me occupied. Last night I actually downloaded some older war movies, one called Stalingrad made in the 90s which is good. I love Das Boot, Downfall and all of the old ones like the Longest Day, Battle of Britain and A Bridge too Far. They use artistic licence but are closer to documentaries films that the utter shite they produce today.

Even Private Ryan is a ridiculous story from fantasy land and yet it's lauded as the "best WW2 ever made". Yes the cinematography is amazing and they get the uniforms right etc but why insert a story that is utter BS to ruin it?

Fury ain't a bad modern day WWII film. It does a good job of portraying the moral ambiguity of such a war and the desperation. I can't remember much about it but I remember the feelings it provoked at least.

Dunkirk, out this year, looks hopeful....

I kinda liked/respected Captain Philips too. Not a war film per se but it didn't seem overly sensationalised like most US films featuring SEALs. Bit more matter of fact.

Again, even less of a war film but I thought Sicario was excellent, about shady CIA involvement in the War on Drugs.

I hated Fury so much it was way over the top. Also if anyone thinks Sherman tanks would do a frontal assault against Tiger tanks and then drive round in circles at point blank range they should be given a free lobotomy immediately lol

I don't really enjoy watching any modern war films to be honest they're always full of holes and too inaccurate for me to enjoy. I will say that Private Ryan captured the landings almost perfectly and they deserve credit for that but it unravelled fast and the ending was ludicrous. Band of Brothers decent except they took a giant dump on the British army more than once, especially where some British tanker refuses to fire his main gun through a building to destroy a German tank...as if :hmm:

Generally I prefer to read a book on factual stuff.

Maybe Hollywood is just dying? There doesn't seem to be many good films coming out, I keep finding myself watching classics like Alien or Jaws...anything with Zombies gets my vote except that last abortion made by Romero

• Haha 1

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about....Me-262 is armed with 30mm cannons in the nose, a single round could easily destroy a P-51 and I wouldn't like to imagine what one would do to the human body but oh no!!....not in Hollywood's world :laugh:

reality

Das Boot is one of the best war films ever made imho, downfall is also very good.

I liked boy in the stripe pajamas too, it was brilliant to watch David Thewlis portray a caring loving father, a very proper individual who's job just so happened to be exterminating thousands of people.

I think the film made a good point with that performance in as much as if you push ordinary people too far they will do almost anything to protect their culture and way of life.

• Like 1

I was looking forward to watching deep water horizon!

I was ion one just before Christmas very near to where piper alpha used to be. The alarms went off and it wasn't just a muster! I won't say it was a fire as they don't like that, but there was rather a large amount of "excess smoke" shall I say! We were down by the life boats and I don't mind admitting I was panicking a bit lol lucky the fire team did a great job

I was ion one just before Christmas very near to where piper alpha used to be. The alarms went off and it wasn't just a muster! I won't say it was a fire as they don't like that, but there was rather a large amount of "excess smoke" shall I say! We were down by the life boats and I don't mind admitting I was panicking a bit lol lucky the fire team did a great job

Its on sky to buy and keep £13.99 but they send you a dvd , it will be in Asda , tesco next week £9.99

Ha ha when I worked there (years ago) I was always going to different rigs so never had a clue where to go during a muster lol those alarms do wake you up though. The HS2 alarm going off when your in the shakers is the one that scared me the most.

I'm not saying don't watch it but just be warned because it's a bit :icon_eek:

If you read the reports the build up to the real accident is enough to send shivers down your back without Hollywood dramatising it. We used to get some right cowboy company men when I worked in North Africa. The accident that happened on video I posted was quite similar in that they'd been taking loads of kicks, they continued drilling with a serious well control problem, they tested their BOPs and found they weren't working so sent guys to work on them while they continued to drill! They took one last kick and the gas was ignited killing 3 guys.

I started life as a mudlogger so we did all the safety monitoring of the pits while drilling, personally I'd have walked off that job if I was on there. Our guys were lucky, safety was pretty lax and it wasn't uncommon to find people forgot to take the padlocks of their escape hatches on the units if they hadn't they'd be dead as well instead of just having burns. Our mudlogging and MWD units were never the safe distance from the wellhead because you would have to run hundreds of metres of cable and everyone was too lazy :icon_eek: