To Jump Or Not To Jump, That Is The ?

A lurcher is the ultimate canine athlete yeah athlete so one that can't jump is as much use as a glass eye..If it don't or won't jump it would be culled were it in my kennels even if it could do 6/6 on the fens..Oh that's right a dog doesn't need to jump to run on the fens does it & after all that's the ultimate test of a dog isn't it? What a load of shite & for those who think it is take your blindfolds off & go travel the land oh but be prepared to lift your one trick pony over every obstacle you confront..Get yourselves to the gym & start pumping the iron coz you will need too ..

Have you run the fenn .. If so how did your dog get on...atb

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lurcher is the ultimate canine athlete yeah athlete so one that can't jump is as much use as a glass eye..If it don't or won't jump it would be culled were it in my kennels even if it could do 6/6 o

Yes never taught mine but unfortunately if his after some thing he will go for it. Quite happy to lift him over stuff and its a bit safer. Saying that a few weeks ago I was lifting him over a gate lik

I need my dog to jump or else we wouldn't catch anything.a would rather teach my dog to jump and have it see something and not knowing and hurting it's self each to there own

Posted Images

My last bitch jumped without an issue, she jumped a barbed wire fence close to home, one she jumps regular and clears easily. Sadly she got caught on it one day ended up costing 400 at the vets and she was in such a mess. Same thing happened to my lab, out beating one day and she got her back leg caught on the horrible stuff. Forked out another couple of hundred again. To be honest I'm not overly bothered that my current bitch now doesn't jump, every time I see a dog approach barbed wire my hearts in my mouth!

Mine is quite hesitant at jumping fences, although she is perfectly capable of doing it. A lot of the boundaries around here is fence > ditch > hedge (+assorted scrap) > fence and I would prefer she takes her time or finds another way around. Never far from a road around here either, so that moment of hesitation can give me a chance to call her off. She'll clear ditches on their own at full speed. I still lift her over stiles and onto those dodgy single plank bridges over ditches that the council are keen on building.

• Like 2

Mine is quite hesitant at jumping fences, although she is perfectly capable of doing it. A lot of the boundaries around here is fence > ditch > hedge (+assorted scrap) > fence and I would prefer she takes her time or finds another way around. Never far from a road around here either, so that moment of hesitation can give me a chance to call her off. She'll clear ditches on their own at full speed. I still lift her over stiles and onto those dodgy single plank bridges over ditches that the council are keen on building.

The only reason a dog is an hesitant jumper is because its been taught to be hesitant,a dog as to be trained to jump,then trained to jump at speed,without missing a step and without hesitance,a mutt that hesitates is a mutt awaiting another injury.A dog that seeks an easier option to jumping meets injury earlier than a reliable jumper and also watches quarry make an escape that a reliable jumper keeps in step with.

• Like 1

The only reason a dog is an hesitant jumper is because its been taught to be hesitant,a dog as to be trained to jump,then trained to jump at speed,without missing a step and without hesitance,a mutt that hesitates is a mutt awaiting another injury.A dog that seeks an easier option to jumping meets injury earlier than a reliable jumper and also watches quarry make an escape that a reliable jumper keeps in step with.

You should be a politician or a clown, not sure which better suits? It did make me laugh!

I had it with mine whilst ferreting a week sunday gone. After a rabbit and jumped too late catching his rear leg. Bit of a yelp and carried on running. When he came back he had an L shaped tear which he had 10 stitches in! He's only just started putting weight on it, i'll be taking stiches out on sunday/monday.

I hate barbed wire, imo it should be replaced with sheep wire fencing under government grant (not that it'll ever happen). I will still teach my dogs to jump though as i cant be asred lifting a dog over every wall, stile or fence we need to go over.