To Jump Or Not To Jump, That Is The ?

Depends where you hunt round my neck of the woods its not that essential, seen a few come to grief on non essential jumps , one went over a quarry edge, jumping high grass with a 50 ft drop. Yeah jumping can be a use full asset but i would rather have a dog that used its head rather than jumping blind and coming to grief.Seen dogs that jumped 5 barred gates that were partly opened rather than walk through so i suppose it depends on the dog.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lurcher is the ultimate canine athlete yeah athlete so one that can't jump is as much use as a glass eye..If it don't or won't jump it would be culled were it in my kennels even if it could do 6/6 o

Yes never taught mine but unfortunately if his after some thing he will go for it. Quite happy to lift him over stuff and its a bit safer. Saying that a few weeks ago I was lifting him over a gate lik

I need my dog to jump or else we wouldn't catch anything.a would rather teach my dog to jump and have it see something and not knowing and hurting it's self each to there own

Posted Images

I need my dog to jump or else we wouldn't catch anything.a would rather teach my dog to jump and have it see something and not knowing and hurting it's self each to there own

I hear this all the time, and seen it not that often. How many actual catches does a dog make after the prey makes it through a fence? Less than most! (I’m not talking about red ones).

The biggest problem we have here is 99% of the fences are 2-3 strand barb on top, any dog can jump a fence, It’s when they are tired or carrying prey back it can become risky.

I don’t lift my dogs over fences, and they jump them all the time, I just discourage them from jumping when chasing.

Each to their own I wish you A.T.B

​PS Zip is looking better today she will be fine.

A lurcher is the ultimate canine athlete yeah athlete so one that can't jump is as much use as a glass eye..If it don't or won't jump it would be culled were it in my kennels even if it could do 6/6 on the fens..Oh that's right a dog doesn't need to jump to run on the fens does it & after all that's the ultimate test of a dog isn't it? What a load of shite & for those who think it is take your blindfolds off & go travel the land oh but be prepared to lift your one trick pony over every obstacle you confront..Get yourselves to the gym & start pumping the iron coz you will need too lol

• Like 10

all our fen dogs fuji are trained to jump thats because theres plenty obsticals out there on the flat land and like you say fxxx lifftin em over fences all mine over the years have run field and fen so jumpin is a must just look at the joe foxy match years ago the bitch had to jump to kill her hare bang in the middle of the black land

• Like 4

I hear this all the time, and seen it not that often. How many actual catches does a dog make after the prey makes it through a fence? Less than most! (Im not talking about red ones).

The biggest problem we have here is 99% of the fences are 2-3 strand barb on top, any dog can jump a fence, Its when they are tired or carrying prey back it can become risky.

I dont lift my dogs over fences, and they jump them all the time, I just discourage them from jumping when chasing.

when there tried and carrying prey a simple command saying stop or under comes in useful.caych must the stuff caught is over aleast 2 fences so I need him to jump it's the same here.

I hear this all the time, and seen it not that often. How many actual catches does a dog make after the prey makes it through a fence? Less than most! (I’m not talking about red ones).

The biggest problem we have here is 99% of the fences are 2-3 strand barb on top, any dog can jump a fence, It’s when they are tired or carrying prey back it can become risky.

I don’t lift my dogs over fences, and they jump them all the time, I just discourage them from jumping when chasing.

I agree Doug around here it would be rare for the dog to jump a fence and make a catch. But if my dog is behind some thing he will clear things like a bloody kangaroo. I would rather he didnt but no chance of stopping him.

If we come to a fence in the normal walk i will lob him over. No biggy and my dog my choice. Each to there own and if I wanted to teach him to hop over every thing he would

If there's barbed wire around a dog's going to get hurt sooner or later anyway. I teach all mine to jump but one of the worst rips I've had was on a bitch who broke two strands of rusty barbed wire when close behind a hare ( back in the 80's). She broke the top one with her face and the botton one with her shoulders and chest and caught the hare. Took a bit of stitching :cray: .

Edited by Maximus Ferret

I always taught my dogs to jump, I'd also teach them to jump a five bar gate and not touch the top bar. Lay something loose on the top bar like your jumper and stand by the side of the gate so you can tip the back legs over if needed, I had a bitch badly banged up for months because she'd insist on just setting her back feet on the top bar on the way over, a little slip and bang on the cruciates, teach them to jump and jump high!