To Jump Or Not To Jump, That Is The ?

This is why I hate barbed wire! Just got back from taking the dogs for a run, young Zip spotted a rabbit on the other side of a barbed wire fence, I knew what she was thinking and even though I was protesting she couldn’t help herself and took off at full speed, stumbled just before the fence and still tried an awkward jump which left her hanging midriff on the top strand.

Memories off a previous dog I lost to wire were quickly on my mind, as I dashed to un hook her.

Although the wounds appear very superficial, she cannot put any weight on her hind leg and it is just pure luck she wasn’t torn open, her rear tendon is a little swollen and quite sore.

I f hate barbed wire, stitched more dogs than I can remember, And this is why I don’t teach my dogs to jump and actually try to discourage it if you think your prey is worth more than a good dog be my guest used often enough around wire it’s not if but when A.T.B - SB

iOL2Blh.jpgbMioLzM.jpgSG0zCXJ.jpgws2vZtW.jpgEVccDse.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lurcher is the ultimate canine athlete yeah athlete so one that can't jump is as much use as a glass eye..If it don't or won't jump it would be culled were it in my kennels even if it could do 6/6 o

Yes never taught mine but unfortunately if his after some thing he will go for it. Quite happy to lift him over stuff and its a bit safer. Saying that a few weeks ago I was lifting him over a gate lik

I need my dog to jump or else we wouldn't catch anything.a would rather teach my dog to jump and have it see something and not knowing and hurting it's self each to there own

Posted Images

Yes never taught mine but unfortunately if his after some thing he will go for it. Quite happy to lift him over stuff and its a bit safer. Saying that a few weeks ago I was lifting him over a gate like we have done a thousand times and as I lowered him he struggled because he caught fresh scent and he tipped sideways out of my arms. Came down with a hell of a whack on his shoulder. Now not much stops him on a fresh scent but he could hardly stand up for a while and he was in a lot of pain. I felt like shite about that

Sure zip will be zooming around in no time Doug :thumbs: and as you say sounds like she was actually lucky thank god

Edited by terryd
  • Like 4

i like to teach mine to jump. infact my 2 older dogs will always jump first even if they can go under. my young dog ben isnt a natural jumper so will look to go under first despite all the jump work i have done with him.

i always found it to be one way of noticing a injury or little niggles that i may not have noticed just working the dog. once they start refusing or taking there time to jump i know they are either tired or hurting. so i check them over first.

• Like 2

by the look of the injurys the dog was very lucky, it prob stretched it muscle out,thats prob why it limping now for. all my lurchers are taught to jump, when there pups put strip of wood across the kennel, and get them to go over that, then build it up as they grow.B/W fences are fekin nightmare with dogs, and it not just lurchers /running dog either , seen labs, springers , have to get over the bloody stuff as well. i rather a dog get over b/w fence in one piece , and let a rabbit go, than them push there luck with the fence.When Buck was younger and even a bit now, he will just go straight over the fence and not really judge it proper :blink: , last year he was chasing couple of munjack by a wood and went over a b/w fence right into real thick cover, the b/w fence didnt bother me so much as the cover he could bust a leg in there . :wallbash: bloody dogs .!!

Mine can jump, but was lucky with him the other day. He decided to jump sheep netting with two strand of barb wire on top of it. He actually jumped between the 2 strands and not over the top one. Not a mark on him but don't know how.