You Learn Something New Every Day

A few years ago when she was a toddler ,my granddaughter taught me one the most important things that some how I'd forgotten ...she came running up with an oak leaf that had fallen in the autumn and was a bit disappointed when I didn't make a big fuss .."can't you see grandad ? Its beautiful "

• Like 10

100%true mate they're called teaser rams. They get your ewes ovulating all together so when your lambs are born they all come within a few weeks of each other.super useful!!

That is amazing, I would never have guessed.

By the way I've seen at least one maybe two lambs in the last few weeks? Isn't that a bit odd?

No mate, lambing now.

I thought it was closer to spring. Cheers

I'm no Shepherd but always know lambs to be on the ground now. Seen them before Xmas in the past. Need to know what times of year not to bother certain folks. Lol

By the way I've seen at least one maybe two lambs in the last few weeks? Isn't that a bit odd?

No mate, lambing now.

It depends what market the lambs are destined for spring lamb, summer lamb etc: Most lambs born now are in big polytunnels or atcost type buildings where they are protected from the elements.

TC

No mate, lambing now.

It depends what market the lambs are destined for spring lamb, summer lamb etc: Most lambs born now are in big polytunnels or atcost type buildings where they are protected from the elements.

TC

Thanks mate, plenty of pregnant ewes about but I just saw a single lamb a couple of weeks ago and thought it seemed strange. They'll all outside but it's fairly mild here. I'm sure when I used to drive about in Cheshire we always saw them in late Feb

I have put my ewes in later (hopefully!!....scanning next week) so they will lamb in mild weather as it don't matter to me to meet any market deadlines.

They are only for us to eat.

I'll probably still bring them in to lamb as it gives me a degree of control and safety for the young lambs, get a bit of strength on them before I turn them out.

But yes, most proper farmers will be full at the lambing over the coming weeks

I have put my ewes in later (hopefully!!....scanning next week) so they will lamb in mild weather as it don't matter to me to meet any market deadlines.

They are only for us to eat.

I'll probably still bring them in to lamb as it gives me a degree of control and safety for the young lambs, get a bit of strength on them before I turn them out.

But yes, most proper farmers will be full at the lambing over the coming weeks

You're all right, the missus was talking to someone today who is starting lambing, they put their ram in later as they went on holiday.

I never really thought that they could choose when to lamb and plan accordingly, cool stuff :)

You really do learn something new every day :D