New Pup And Travel Anxiety

Hi Guys

It's been a very long time since I've posted on this forum. Joined the marines in 2010 and not had much time for the lurchers which has pained me massively. So at the end of the summer I got told by a mate that another friend's bitch has had a litter and I'd heard nothing but good stuff about the Dam. After speaking to the lad with the Dam and hearing about the Sire I booked my self a pup instantly.

All I can say is I've ended up with a cracker. I am extremely happy with her so far. 5 months old 23" TTS and 19kg Dam is 5th generation Deerhound x Greyhound Sire is Saluki Grey Coursing type x 5/8 3/8 Bull Greyhound.

post-3764-0-01511000-1484857071_thumb.jpeg

I figured quite quickly that she suffered with mild separation anxiety with having to put her in a crate at work to keep the mess down at such a young age. I think I've overcome that now and she has a lot more freedom and has grown in confidence in my absence.

What I am struggling with is how anxious she gets in the car. As soon as she sees the car the drooling starts and I have no problem getting her in the car but the drooling doesn't stop. She is also sick on most journeys. Those over 20 minutes are a definite.

So I've tried daily short journeys also moving her up front with me she's improved slightly but still the same with the drooling. Any advice would be excellent.

Thanks for reading.

It's good to be back

:bye::thumbs:

My bitch is the same ,, nearly 12 months now ,,,,she would drool and throw up every journey ,,,,yet she jumps in the car no problem ,,,,,then a few months ago I got a cage put it on the back of the Transit Pickup to take her out and the throwing up more or less stopped ,,,,,,,the last few weeks she hasn't thrown up in car either ,,,,touch wood ,,,,,hoping we may have got over it ,,,,,,,,keep at it they do get over it in time !

• Like 1

mines the same drools all over her sister then throws up when she gets out the car somebody said give her a couple of Ginger biscuits but im going to work on her in the car over the next two weeks

mines the same drools all over her sister then throws up when she gets out the car somebody said give her a couple of Ginger biscuits but im going to work on her in the car over the next two weeks

I've tried ginger biscuits as they help with travel sickness but I think the drool is more anxiety so I've been told Carmex, Scullcap & Valerian or Adaptil. Not sure if anyone on here has heard of any of these?

Would rather stay clear of any form of medication if I can.

Its a real pain when a dog gets ill in the car , if you travel long distances to your hunting grounds , the dog can be that rough and ill looking when you arrive , often you dont get them out of the car.

Try feeding the dog in the car , also just sit in the car with the dog without travelling anywhere , try avoiding bendy country lanes (at first ) and have a drive on the motorway most dogs usually get fed up and lie down.

the main thing the dog has to associate the car with good feelings and nothing untoward , it could be an uphill struggle but bear with it.

• Like 3

Its a real pain when a dog gets ill in the car , if you travel long distances to your hunting grounds , the dog can be that rough and ill looking when you arrive , often you dont get them out of the car.

Try feeding the dog in the car , also just sit in the car with the dog without travelling anywhere , try avoiding bendy country lanes (at first ) and have a drive on the motorway most dogs usually get fed up and lie down.

the main thing the dog has to associate the car with good feelings and nothing untoward , it could be an uphill struggle but bear with it.

Yep, bendy lanes, quick sharpish movements etc, where the dog is unsteady and moving around a fair bit won't help. Try to minimise the amount of movement your dog has when it's in the car

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

I've tried ginger biscuits as they help with travel sickness but I think the drool is more anxiety so I've been told Carmex, Scullcap & Valerian or Adaptil. Not sure if anyone on here has heard of any of these?

Would rather stay clear of any form of medication if I can.

THanks if the biscuits fail i will try them next

Some dogs are better if they cannot see out. Easiest way is to use a large crate covered up. No guarantees but worth a try. If you use skullcap and valerian (Dorwest) , start it a few days before the travelling. You could also have a look at the Adaptil products.

One of mine pants wildly all the way and will not lie down, even on an all day journey while the other dogs around him are all asleep. I am afraid I have given up after trying everything but most youngsters grow out of it.

• Like 1

Start throwing a toy on the drive for the pup to retrieve.

Start throwing it closer and closer to the back of the car.boot open.

Only a few times then stop.just do it a few times every 1hr or 2.

After a few days she should be going closer to the car as her mind will be on the toy.

Place her food and water bowl on the floor near the boot.you will know how far away from her body language.

When she is more comfortable going near the boot.sit on the edge of the boot and throw the toy away from the car.

The more keen she is for the toy the better.

Eventually you will be able to throw the toy from the drive into the boot and she will follow it.

Don't make a fuss of doing it.everytime you are walking on the drive just pick it up and throw in the boot and walk away.

Patience and time is the key.

She should soon come around.

Shes a cracking looking bitch mate.

Good luck with her.

• Like 1