i have a hand made knife off a member on here........i was using it to deliver the "last rights" one night, a few weeks back and in heat of moment i left the knife there......

anyway......i went back last night and retrieved the knife....the bl

blade has tarnished a tad with a couple of rust spots.......

and the black buffalo antler has scratched and has white lines running through

so just wandering what would be best to bring this knife somewhere near its forma glory. i dont want to make it worse

atb

i guess its got wet damp and its carbon steel .all carbon steel will tarnish and oxidizw=e if wet /damp you have to look after carbon steel . keep clean and a smear of wd 40 , anyway scotchbright pad and buffer will clean it if not some 1200gt wet and dry and oil

• Like 2

Can't quite see how you are going to clean the white lines from the handle. I've some black stain I use on some of my wood turning. Could that be the route. Black boot polish. Donna know kid. Keep at it and remember, if you go out in the dark doing dark deeds you got to check your footprints LOL. Jok.

i guess its got wet damp and its carbon steel .all carbon steel will tarnish and oxidizw=e if wet /damp you have to look after carbon steel . keep clean and a smear of wd 40 , anyway scotchbright pad and buffer will clean it if not some 1200gt wet and dry and oil

cheers mate the blade has come back up lovely to be fair.....

its the buffalo horn handle im still working on............

its a lovely knife though sir and has had some serious use this season hence i was so gutted when i lost it, i travalled three hours back to collect it!

atb

• Like 1

its a lovely knife though sir and has had some serious use this season hence i was so gutted when i lost it, i travalled three hours back to collect it!

atb

put a drop of linceed oil on the buffalo horn ;)

atb

will do that mate!

you still making knives bud?

atb

atb

will do that mate!

you still making knives bud?

atb

yep making a few :thumbs:

The white lines on the buffalo handle, are part of the make-up of buffalo horn, its not a fault or damage.

I put a few drops of gun oil on my knives, dubbin or shoe polish on the sheaths, and a waterproof leather spray on the inside of the sheath.

My brother will use nothing else but rubbing a bees wax block over his blades, says it removes any marks, when left for a little time.

A good polish for the handle, is any good car wax polish. Quick and easy and good protection.

• Like 1