More H5N8 (Bird Flu) Found

• 2 weeks later...

Heard today of a flock that was destroyed before testing and were tested after and were actually clean. Another flock was due to be destroyed but the owner wanted them tested first. They took bloods, but will not tell the owner the results, if it's positive they will just turn up and destroy the flock if negative the owner will not be informed, so will be in limbo waiting for them to turn up.

Edited to add: I was also told that geese are not affected by this strain but can carry the strain and pass it on.

TC

Heard today of a flock that was destroyed before testing and were tested after and were actually clean. Another flock was due to be destroyed but the owner wanted them tested first. They took bloods, but will not tell the owner the results, if it's positive they will just turn up and destroy the flock if negative the owner will not be informed, so will be in limbo waiting for them to turn up.

Edited to add: I was also told that geese are not affected by this strain but can carry the strain and pass it on.

TC

It's a poor show, I had heard about the flock been destroyed and testing negative afterwards.

I see a game farm has been hit now as well, 1000 pheasants, and a turkey farm near Boston with 19'500 bids, it seems to be getting closer to me every time

TC

All poultry keepers around here are under legislation to keep all feather and fowl indoors because of the outbreak.As there are 10,s of millions of migratory birds entering our shores this season how does the legislation work to control the spread of it?Defra at its finest and a bunch of Defra officials that are educated above their own intelligence.

It's guidelines, to keep them indoors, where practicable, not enforceable, you have to be able to show you have taken the utmost measures possible..

That can be netting pens, moving feed and water indoors, vibrating tape, etc etc