had a terrier that had maybe 4/ 6 fits a year as said its not nice , i got used to it in the end , by the time it took me to roll a fag and have a few puffs he start coming round , aways bothered me he might have one when under , but as far i was aware he never did and he worked 7 seasons and he lived till 14, the choice is as far as i know if its too regular they go on drugs which can reduce life and maybe get side affects , if its now and again let him carry on his work , it seemed to happen when he was lounging around and not up to much , hope this helps you general,

Thanks for the advice GL. He hasn't taken one since and I worked him a few times before the end of the season, he's a decent dog just them few times it happened made me panicky to a certain extent about what I should do. A friend of a friend has a pet JR terrier that's only a year old and has started taking bad fits he got medication from the vets that didn't help whatsoever after blood tests and a lot of money he wasn't any better off. Some guy said out a drop of CBD oil on its grub every other day. The dogs been for free from he's done it! I know sounds like BS but I seen the videos he put up online and it has worked. I'll sit tight for now just as you say if he only takes a few a year lying about the yard I can live with that.
  • Like 1

my old terrier had a fit when I came home from work one day, I panicked like hell and then it went away, so I was like you and in two minds wether to take her to vets? I came home the day after and the same thing happened, so I waited for our lass to come home and when she did, the dog did it again. thought right vets, got her to the vets and she did it again on the waiting room floor, and again as we were leaving her there over night. got a call from vets in morning that she had another at 2am and when they checked in the morning she had had another and died. I was totally wounded that dog was like my best mate. anyway I asked what they thought it was and they said it could have been liver failure? but without a post mortem we wouldn't no, a post mortem wasn't going to bring her back so I said not to bother. I would have liked to know what had caused it tho, so I could maybe advice with things like this. mine went from a perfectly healthy dog with no signs of ill health to a dead dog in less than 48hrs.

I hope yours is ok general, just thought id share my experience.

atb ant

• Like 1

Thanks AGA. No he's only had the 3 I know of in just over a year. I'm working a lot of the time I the missus is at home most of the day and then she goes off to work so there's usually always someone about. He's 100% 99% of the time lol. I know it's there in him so I'll keep a close eye, fingers crossed it never happens again. If it does get regular it will be a visit to the vets but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it hopefully not. I've read a lot online and some people say about protein levels in food etc. Could trigger some dogs to have abnormal reactions. Who knows but he's fine at the minute so I'm hoping it stays that way.

• Like 2

Had a springer spaniel a few years back that was showing good signs of making an exceptional rough shooting dog but then she staerted having fits.This happened 5-6 times and would last maybe 2minutes,just lying there kicking and shaking.I took her to the vets but he said it could have been a number of things including a inherity disease.I decided i would run her on for another while and it was then that i noticed that it was only when she got excited or hyped up that it happened,for example if she was close on a pheasant or rabbit she would flush the game and then it started.I never seen her have one about the yard while she was just chilling out so in the end she was given to a friend of my daughters where she still is and it has not happened regulary since,she told me she was walking her 1 day along the canal and ducks got up and she jumped in after them but when she came out she had a fit along the bank,she now keeps her on a leash and all is fine.

• Like 1

Had a springer spaniel a few years back that was showing good signs of making an exceptional rough shooting dog but then she staerted having fits.This happened 5-6 times and would last maybe 2minutes,just lying there kicking and shaking.I took her to the vets but he said it could have been a number of things including a inherity disease.I decided i would run her on for another while and it was then that i noticed that it was only when she got excited or hyped up that it happened,for example if she was close on a pheasant or rabbit she would flush the game and then it started.I never seen her have one about the yard while she was just chilling out so in the end she was given to a friend of my daughters where she still is and it has not happened regulary since,she told me she was walking her 1 day along the canal and ducks got up and she jumped in after them but when she came out she had a fit along the bank,she now keeps her on a leash and all is fine.

it was the excitement that set my terriers off fatman too

One of my lurchers does have fits , but only when worked hard , as it doesn´t happen when in rest. Am no vet but did some research myself and in the end came up with this , its called exercise induced collapse .Must say the dog in question has a high preydrive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise-induced_collapse