As above I've a 6 year old dog that took a fit about 6 months ago but I'd just wormed them all a quarter of an hour beforehand and blamed it on an adverse effect from using a different wormer I hadn't used before, this wasn't the case as I found out this evening. Dogs walked and cleaned out I was bringing the grub out to them and this particular dog is at the end of the kennels, when I got to him he wasn't bouncing at the wire as usual, instead he was taking a seizure under his box. I brought him into the house onto the mat and held him on his side until it passed to stop him doing any damage to himself.

Now I know the obvious thing to do is take him to the vets. I'm not looking that type of reply.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have owned a terrier or terriers that have taken fits?

What was the outcome?

Did you continue to work the terrier in question? Did medication stop the seizures completely etc?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

Hasn't been dug from last week RH last time he done it was in the summer so he wouldn't have been doing any work at all. I thought it was a bad reaction to milbemax as I'd gave him a tablet 15mins prior the first time but this time he was definately fitting and he'd been penned up all day plenty of clean water and I came home from a shift and walked and cleaned them out put him back in and when feeding that's when I noticed he was doing it again. Very worrying.

My lurcher suffered seizures during the last few years, but she was over 12 years old. It would happen only occasionally with several months between each incidence. Took her to the vet a few times soon as possible after seizure, but they didn't have a clue what caused it. Hope you can sort it out, bloody horrible thing to see happen.

• Like 1

My lurcher suffered seizures during the last few years, but she was over 12 years old. It would happen only occasionally with several months between each incidence. Took her to the vet a few times soon as possible after seizure, but they didn't have a clue what caused it. Hope you can sort it out, bloody horrible thing to see happen.

Thanks, that's why I'm putting it out there CV, I'm hoping others have knowledge on the same issue and looking to know how they got on afterwards.
  • 5 weeks later...

MY mate has a Spaniel which started fitting. The vets couldn't find an answer to the problem.

He discovered if he fed it high protein food and drizzled some honey or syrup it stopped it happening and she hasn't had one since, I think the fits happened when she was working so maybe not the same problem but I thought I would pass it on anyway.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I had it happen to me Christmas time i worked the dog on the Saturday and on the Tuesday I noticed he looked like he was pissed falling about in the kennel then he fell over he went all stiff, then he come around after a few minutes this went on for a week or so he would be fine soon as he walked the length of the garden he would just fall over again he could feel it coming on in the end as he put himself in position ready for it, I couldn't see him like it anymore so I put him down I don't belive it would be fair to try and work a dog that's not physically and mentally fit.

had a terrier that had maybe 4/ 6 fits a year as said its not nice , i got used to it in the end , by the time it took me to roll a fag and have a few puffs he start coming round , aways bothered me he might have one when under , but as far i was aware he never did and he worked 7 seasons and he lived till 14, the choice is as far as i know if its too regular they go on drugs which can reduce life and maybe get side affects , if its now and again let him carry on his work , it seemed to happen when he was lounging around and not up to much , hope this helps you general,

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1