Bsa Supersport Or Lightning

I had a BSA Lightning once and only once.

Crap gun back then when they first came on the scene, have they changed anything ?

I had one when they first come out ,killed absolutely freezer loads of gear with it ,a no frills tool ,think people are to critical ,make the best of what ever you've got !

• Like 7

Had both and both killed a lot of game especially the Lightning.

Too many on here think if it's not a wierauch then it's shit well let me say I've used plenty of so called "cheap" springers and killed plenty my mate got a hw100 when they first came out was a pile of leaky old shit then got a 77 again Spring cracked and broke pile of shit. If it spits a pellet with abit of punch and you can mostly hit what your aiming at you'll be fine.

If you can fill a pot with a catty you should have no probs with cheap guns

Edited by C.green
  • Like 4

To be fair, I had a .177 lightning xl which was accurate,powerful,and light to carry around, I intended to tune it just to see what could be achieved,however my mate drove me mad wanting to buy it, so I let him have it,I rather liked it,but one thing that has always annoyed me about the BSA break barrels is that fecking pin they use for the barrel pivot, yes its been used since the dinosaurs, but why the hell did they not change it and use a bolt like the Germanic rifles have done for so long, it was loud and twangy, but I reckon with a tune could have been quite nice, its not that the cheaper guns are no good, and point taken about HW quality control, its crap nowadays, however, for a similar price to a lightning,both used as a starting point, a HW99 with a bit of tuning is a nice quality thing that will give years of service without the breach pin wearing out.

To be fair, I had a .177 lightning xl which was accurate,powerful,and light to carry around, I intended to tune it just to see what could be achieved,however my mate drove me mad wanting to buy it, so I let him have it,I rather liked it,but one thing that has always annoyed me about the BSA break barrels is that fecking pin they use for the barrel pivot, yes its been used since the dinosaurs, but why the hell did they not change it and use a bolt like the Germanic rifles have done for so long, it was loud and twangy, but I reckon with a tune could have been quite nice, its not that the cheaper guns are no good, and point taken about HW quality control, its crap nowadays, however, for a similar price to a lightning,both used as a starting point, a HW99 with a bit of tuning is a nice quality thing that will give years of service without the breach pin wearing out.

CC I know you've had a couple of walthers, might be more members on here too, but you've spoken of them recently. Would you say the terrus is a better rifle than say a 99 or a lightning etc?

CC I know you've had a couple of walthers, might be more members on here too, but you've spoken of them recently. Would you say the terrus is a better rifle than say a 99 or a lightning etc?

I have only had one mate the LGV, I have no experience of the terrus, I have had just about every quality springer going over the years, tuned and untuned, and I can say hand on heart, that LGV was the best spring rifle I have ever used, it was lazer accurate,smooth as silk, and with a moderator fitted,almost pcp quiet, the only thing not as good as Weihrauch or AA is the trigger, dont get me wrong its fine, just not as good, but for around £45 Rowan engineering do a replacement to transform them,the only reason I sold it was because I got a bit fed up of lugging an air rifle round that weighs as much as my .243 deer rifle with its huge over barrel moderator, having said that, I never bothered fitting a sling, I will get another at some point, they really are way ahead of the competition mate.

• Like 1

I have only had one mate the LGV, I have no experience of the terrus, I have had just about every quality springer going over the years, tuned and untuned, and I can say hand on heart, that LGV was the best spring rifle I have ever used, it was lazer accurate,smooth as silk, and with a moderator fitted,almost pcp quiet, the only thing not as good as Weihrauch or AA is the trigger, dont get me wrong its fine, just not as good, but for around £45 Rowan engineering do a replacement to transform them,the only reason I sold it was because I got a bit fed up of lugging an air rifle round that weighs as much as my .243 deer rifle with its huge over barrel moderator, having said that, I never bothered fitting a sling, I will get another at some point, they really are way ahead of the competition mate.

Thanks for that. Been looking for a new springer recently, and after having my HW80 now for a few months, weight isn't as much an issue as it used to be. In fact, the weight is helping with my steadiness on aim. Really liking the LGV master pro, also the HW98, oh yeah, and the 97KT lol.

Thanks again, will have a good look at some of the walthers this weekend :thumbs:

Edited to add, yes I have a sling fitted to my 80 and am fitting one to my 110 later today.

A sling will also be fitted to whatever new rifle I buy :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark