Dh/gh Bitch

Check out this thread. A member by the name of Ky99le has an imported staghound.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/323974-staghound/page-2

I looked at that thread cuz I had never seen it before. I can assure all of you there are plenty of culls being bred over here. I look at some of the shit people keep and I just shake my head. Lil snipey nosed weedy bitches being bred to skinny scrawny pencil necked shit eaters. Before anybody gets all crazy and goes to importing dogs please make sure you know who you are getting the dogs from. There are coyote dogs and then there are COYOTE DOGS!

Can't see why any right minded person would import a coyote dog from the states when I'm more than certain the uk has a lot more capable mutts to offer.

You may be right. I have no idea. What makes you believe that the UK has "a lot more capable mutts to offer?"

For me I couldn't see the point in an import because with all due respect we have plenty of lines going here that have been running are land for a very long time doing there jobs. For the most of what I can see your staghounds and curs are not too dissimilar to our deerhound/grey hybrids I hear they come into there own on the rough heather over here. In the UK most people go for smaller dogs than you boys in general a 23-24" or above dog can certainly tackle all realistic British quarry no problem. How would a smaller dog fair in the states? Some of you lads would be surprised what a whippet cross added with the fire of a terrier can do in the field.

We have some smaller bred dogs here. I have no clue how they would work on anything other than coyote. The truth is they don't work at all. Their lack of size, speed over long distances, and strength make them worthless and no amount of fire in the world is gonna change that fact on a coyote. Ive seen 35 pound coyotes stand up with a 90 pound dog on their throat and flip the dog to its back.

Oh I do agree with there Dan, horses for courses we often use this term as you do need a bigger dog for a bigger job! What I'm trying to imply is there are small dogs that punch well above there weight, I just used a whippet as an example that they really can surprise you! I just wondered how a 25-26-27-28 inch dog could fair give that a dog of this size would be ideal to take our fastest and most taxing quarry the hare! In the states it seems a lot of your dogs over there seem to be 30" plus more. I don't believe we really call for dogs that big here in MOST cases and that is why we don't often use the larger dogs here, Perhaps I'm wrong but for use over here I just couldn't see the point of an import myself, I just feel a lot of our guys are in love with the "exotic" and they don't look at what we have here - If American deerhound hybrids, staghounds, what ever you call them are superior to the lines here its only down to the people who have been working them and not to a ban in my eyes. Thanks for reply

Our best dogs are 28-29 inches. The best Ive seen anyhow. They are not made like a modern deerhoundxgreyhound though. They are different any so many ways its not worth typing it all out. Ive seen a few bitches that were about 27 that were good for a female anyhow. The best bitch Ive seen I actually own right now and she is 29 inches and 90 pounds. She is top shelf and makes it look easy but again she is not built like a simple deerhoundxgreyhound cross.

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The light brindle is a deerhound/greyhound first cross and the dark brindle is a mix of border and bearded collie with greyhound. The collie cross is quite small at 24 inches but she has a half decent

Here is a fine example of a coyote dog. He is owned by a guy originally from over yalls way. He is a littermate to my female and a very good dog. Stands bout 29 inches and weighs bout 95 pounds. He ca

I looked at that thread cuz I had never seen it before. I can assure all of you there are plenty of culls being bred over here. I look at some of the shit people keep and I just shake my head. Lil sni

Posted Images

Check out this thread. A member by the name of Ky99le has an imported staghound.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/323974-staghound/page-2

I looked at that thread cuz I had never seen it before. I can assure all of you there are plenty of culls being bred over here. I look at some of the shit people keep and I just shake my head. Lil snipey nosed weedy bitches being bred to skinny scrawny pencil necked shit eaters. Before anybody gets all crazy and goes to importing dogs please make sure you know who you are getting the dogs from. There are coyote dogs and then there are COYOTE DOGS!

Can't see why any right minded person would import a coyote dog from the states when I'm more than certain the uk has a lot more capable mutts to offer.

You may be right. I have no idea. What makes you believe that the UK has "a lot more capable mutts to offer?"

For me I couldn't see the point in an import because with all due respect we have plenty of lines going here that have been running are land for a very long time doing there jobs. For the most of what I can see your staghounds and curs are not too dissimilar to our deerhound/grey hybrids I hear they come into there own on the rough heather over here. In the UK most people go for smaller dogs than you boys in general a 23-24" or above dog can certainly tackle all realistic British quarry no problem. How would a smaller dog fair in the states? Some of you lads would be surprised what a whippet cross added with the fire of a terrier can do in the field.

We have some smaller bred dogs here. I have no clue how they would work on anything other than coyote. The truth is they don't work at all. Their lack of size, speed over long distances, and strength make them worthless and no amount of fire in the world is gonna change that fact on a coyote. Ive seen 35 pound coyotes stand up with a 90 pound dog on their throat and flip the dog to its back.

Oh I do agree with there Dan, horses for courses we often use this term as you do need a bigger dog for a bigger job! What I'm trying to imply is there are small dogs that punch well above there weight, I just used a whippet as an example that they really can surprise you! I just wondered how a 25-26-27-28 inch dog could fair give that a dog of this size would be ideal to take our fastest and most taxing quarry the hare! In the states it seems a lot of your dogs over there seem to be 30" plus more. I don't believe we really call for dogs that big here in MOST cases and that is why we don't often use the larger dogs here, Perhaps I'm wrong but for use over here I just couldn't see the point of an import myself, I just feel a lot of our guys are in love with the "exotic" and they don't look at what we have here - If American deerhound hybrids, staghounds, what ever you call them are superior to the lines here its only down to the people who have been working them and not to a ban in my eyes. Thanks for reply

Our best dogs are 28-29 inches. The best Ive seen anyhow. They are not made like a modern deerhoundxgreyhound though. They are different any so many ways its not worth typing it all out. Ive seen a few bitches that were about 27 that were good for a female anyhow. The best bitch Ive seen I actually own right now and she is 29 inches and 90 pounds. She is top shelf and makes it look easy but again she is not built like a simple deerhoundxgreyhound cross.

Nice one pal thanks for the input, interesting to find out about how fellas do things overseas, best of luck for your future en-devours, I will let you know how I get on with this future lining.

Here is a fine example of a coyote dog. He is owned by a guy originally from over yalls way. He is a littermate to my female and a very good dog. Stands bout 29 inches and weighs bout 95 pounds. He can catch a pretty good coyote and he don't need no help once caught either.

post-11299-0-65679400-1486057865_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Here is a fine example of a coyote dog. He is owned by a guy originally from over yalls way. He is a littermate to my female and a very good dog. Stands bout 29 inches and weighs bout 95 pounds. He can catch a pretty good coyote and he don't need no help once caught either.

nice big dog , spot on for what he was bred for :thumbs: i think i asked you before Dan , do most stags have apbt in there make up, i know you said the stags are very old lines , and they might have years gone by , just wondered if they still use a drop of pit today in the newer stuff thats bred . or do the stag lines you breed are very true , and you dont have to out x at all . glad your posting/ pics keep them coming . :thumbs:

very nice atb bunnys.

nice big dog , spot on for what he was bred for :thumbs: i think i asked you before Dan , do most stags have apbt in there make up, i know you said the stags are very old lines , and they might have years gone by , just wondered if they still use a drop of pit today in the newer stuff thats bred . or do the stag lines you breed are very true , and you dont have to out x at all . glad your posting/ pics keep them coming . :thumbs:

That dog there's grand dam on his dams side was 1/16th bulldog I believe. So that would make him 1/32 bulldog. Don't hold me to that but I'm almost positive that is the case. Most of us do not put bulldog in our dogs to make coyote dogs but they will be added once in awhile to make a lurcher type for catchin hogs or other stuff. Then if that dog does a good job sometimes it may be bred to another greyhound and so on and so forth. Once ya get back to bout 7/8th greyhound you are starting to get back to a coyote dog.

That dog there's grand dam on his dams side was 1/16th bulldog I believe. So that would make him 1/32 bulldog. Don't hold me to that but I'm almost positive that is the case. Most of us do not put bulldog in our dogs to make coyote dogs but they will be added once in awhile to make a lurcher type for catchin hogs or other stuff. Then if that dog does a good job sometimes it may be bred to another greyhound and so on and so forth. Once ya get back to bout 7/8th greyhound you are starting to get back to a coyote dog.

Dan, when you say bred back to a greyhound do you mean to a coldblood/coyotehound?? or to a track racing type?? The reason I ask is that over here 7/8 track type would almost certainly produce dogs that would break down on anything other than short grass or sand. Maybe proper culling weeds out any that would breakdown and leaves some fast but strong types?? I'm sure I don't know but I would like to.

That black dog, duce looks a nice strong animal :thumbs: .

Dan, when you say bred back to a greyhound do you mean to a coldblood/coyotehound?? or to a track racing type?? The reason I ask is that over here 7/8 track type would almost certainly produce dogs that would break down on anything other than short grass or sand. Maybe proper culling weeds out any that would breakdown and leaves some fast but strong types?? I'm sure I don't know but I would like to.

Oops, that was Dan Mcdonough's dog. Apologies there. :icon_redface::icon_redface:

I like the look of that dog, he looks like he has had a good day out in that photo. Is it unheard of for a dog to do more than one coyote a day or is that just not possible?

I mean coyote greyhound. I don't use the word staghound cuz I didn't grow up hearing that word. We called the slick ones greyhounds and the hairy ones deerhounds. I didn't really grow up with these type of dogs though. I grew up with racing field trial greyhounds but we still used these dogs to breed into our race dogs here and there. We raced them through timbers and stuff and swim raced them as well. They were basically coonhound greyhound crosses of sorts or cur dog greyhound crosses. Some of them were even foxhound greyhound crosses I believe.

• Like 1

I like the look of that dog, he looks like he has had a good day out in that photo. Is it unheard of for a dog to do more than one coyote a day or is that just not possible?

That day that dog killed 2 coyotes with another dog. He was not running solo. I just cropped the picture that way cuz I was trying to make a point of how a good lookin coyote dogs would be built and how they would run. He is not a fast dog but he is fast enough for what we do. I had a dog at one time that caught 6 coyotes in one day pretty much by himself cuz the dogs in the truck with him were straight up shit eatin culls and they were a day late and a dollar short at every catch.

• Like 1

I remember a couple of crackin deerhound crosses when I was a young lad but I ain't seen anything like them since opefully still a few out there tho, be good to see some good stuff from the states n aus brought over here n in the right hands like..