Dh/gh Bitch

I think the quality of 'staghounds' in this country is nothing like American and Australian staghounds. In the latter countries, generations of breeders have pared the ballsiest/best dogs to the ballsiest/best bitches and culled unsuitable dogs along the way.. Here the quick buck breeders, the Kennel Club and the show men have conspired to produce a product which is a very poor reflection of the Aussie/yank staghound.

In fact, given our restrictive laws, an imported staghound may prove to be too much dog for the average UK owner.JMHO.

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The light brindle is a deerhound/greyhound first cross and the dark brindle is a mix of border and bearded collie with greyhound. The collie cross is quite small at 24 inches but she has a half decent

Here is a fine example of a coyote dog. He is owned by a guy originally from over yalls way. He is a littermate to my female and a very good dog. Stands bout 29 inches and weighs bout 95 pounds. He ca

I looked at that thread cuz I had never seen it before. I can assure all of you there are plenty of culls being bred over here. I look at some of the shit people keep and I just shake my head. Lil sni

Posted Images

I think the quality of 'staghounds' in this country is nothing like American and Australian staghounds. In the latter countries, generations of breeders have pared the ballsiest/best dogs to the ballsiest/best bitches and culled unsuitable dogs along the way.. Here the quick buck breeders, the Kennel Club and the show men have conspired to produce a product which is a very poor reflection of the Aussie/yank staghound.

In fact, given our restrictive laws, an imported staghound may prove to be too much dog for the average UK owner.JMHO.

Quality of Staghounds in this country ?, I was'nt aware there were any in the UK
  • Like 2

Quality of Staghounds in this country ?, I was'nt aware there were any in the UK

I'm referring to Deerhound/Greyhound crosses. Many lurcher folk refer to them as 'staghounds'.

• Like 3

See what you mean mate, I remember about 20 year ago Hosker took a greyhound bitch to be lined by a Doxhope dog, the bitch was exported to America, don't know if they made the grade over there, but the ones I saw of this breeding were good athletic dogs, would like to see them make a comeback but I reckon it's pretty doubtful

I'm referring to Deerhound/Greyhound crosses. Many lurcher folk refer to them as 'staghounds'.
don't hear that much anymore, stag x grey hjkc Edited by Gilbey

good choice,i could stay up all night telling you stories about my old deer/grey bitch's.

nothing wrong with a deerhound greyhound bitch story to be fair looking for a bitch to breed out of pal.

So you're not wanting to work it, just breed from it? What will happen to the bitch afterwards?

• Like 1

In fact, given our restrictive laws, an imported staghound may prove to be too much dog for the average UK owner.JMH

good choice,i could stay up all night telling you stories about my old deer/grey bitch's.

nothing wrong with a deerhound greyhound bitch story to be fair looking for a bitch to breed out of pal.

So you're not wanting to work it, just breed from it? What will happen to the bitch afterwards?

Maybe, but there are plenty of fellows in the lurcher game who have used the dh/gh in lurcher lines for years taking all british game? why would it be that the yank lines where better than the uk? not exact what the yank laws are but not sure if they can even hunt deer with dogs anyway? and we don't have coyotes here if we did we would have dogs capable of killing them, same as every other British quarry. Do you really believe these yank lines could put up a decent go on red deer if it was possible because to be worth breeding out of they would have to offer more than whats here.

In fact, given our restrictive laws, an imported staghound may prove to be too much dog for the average UK owner.JMH

Maybe, but there are plenty of fellows in the lurcher game who have used the dh/gh in lurcher lines for years taking all british game? why would it be that the yank lines where better than the uk? not exact what the yank laws are but not sure if they can even hunt deer with dogs anyway? and we don't have coyotes here if we did we would have dogs capable of killing them, same as every other British quarry. Do you really believe these yank lines could put up a decent go on red deer if it was possible because to be worth breeding out of they would have to offer more than whats here.

Im possibly in the top 1% of folk who extol the Deerhoundy virtues,especially if its balanced by a little Einstein border infusion.The sad facts with the Deerhound on these shores is that the dog is a very faint shadow of the original and the basterdised mongrels over here are a better representation of what the Deerhound was all about.Im all for recognising the impact the Brits have had on the lurcher scene and every other country in the world will have played a lesser development in its history and heritage,yet the level a minority of our American cousins have taken the dog BACK to is reflected in their high end Deerhoundy,s.Id love to send 1 of mine over there to take it away from its comfort zone and id be thrilled to experience what an American jukel could offer here that as been lacking in most Deerhounds for far to long.I have little confidence in the majority of Deerhounds bred on these shores as the majority of the lineage is generations away from honesty,a little American honesty may redress the balance.

• Like 3

Check out this thread. A member by the name of Ky99le has an imported staghound.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/323974-staghound/page-2

I looked at that thread cuz I had never seen it before. I can assure all of you there are plenty of culls being bred over here. I look at some of the shit people keep and I just shake my head. Lil snipey nosed weedy bitches being bred to skinny scrawny pencil necked shit eaters. Before anybody gets all crazy and goes to importing dogs please make sure you know who you are getting the dogs from. There are coyote dogs and then there are COYOTE DOGS!

Can't see why any right minded person would import a coyote dog from the states when I'm more than certain the uk has a lot more capable mutts to offer.

You may be right. I have no idea. What makes you believe that the UK has "a lot more capable mutts to offer?"

For me I couldn't see the point in an import because with all due respect we have plenty of lines going here that have been running are land for a very long time doing there jobs. For the most of what I can see your staghounds and curs are not too dissimilar to our deerhound/grey hybrids I hear they come into there own on the rough heather over here. In the UK most people go for smaller dogs than you boys in general a 23-24" or above dog can certainly tackle all realistic British quarry no problem. How would a smaller dog fair in the states? Some of you lads would be surprised what a whippet cross added with the fire of a terrier can do in the field.

We have some smaller bred dogs here. I have no clue how they would work on anything other than coyote. The truth is they don't work at all. Their lack of size, speed over long distances, and strength make them worthless and no amount of fire in the world is gonna change that fact on a coyote. Ive seen 35 pound coyotes stand up with a 90 pound dog on their throat and flip the dog to its back.

• Like 2

many decades past deerhound xes were referred to has stag hounds in this country by many folk.atb bunnys.

Check out this thread. A member by the name of Ky99le has an imported staghound.

I looked at that thread cuz I had never seen it before. I can assure all of you there are plenty of culls being bred over here. I look at some of the shit people keep and I just shake my head. Lil snipey nosed weedy bitches being bred to skinny scrawny pencil necked shit eaters. Before anybody gets all crazy and goes to importing dogs please make sure you know who you are getting the dogs from. There are coyote dogs and then there are COYOTE DOGS!

Can't see why any right minded person would import a coyote dog from the states when I'm more than certain the uk has a lot more capable mutts to offer.

You may be right. I have no idea. What makes you believe that the UK has "a lot more capable mutts to offer?"

For me I couldn't see the point in an import because with all due respect we have plenty of lines going here that have been running are land for a very long time doing there jobs. For the most of what I can see your staghounds and curs are not too dissimilar to our deerhound/grey hybrids I hear they come into there own on the rough heather over here. In the UK most people go for smaller dogs than you boys in general a 23-24" or above dog can certainly tackle all realistic British quarry no problem. How would a smaller dog fair in the states? Some of you lads would be surprised what a whippet cross added with the fire of a terrier can do in the field.

We have some smaller bred dogs here. I have no clue how they would work on anything other than coyote. The truth is they don't work at all. Their lack of size, speed over long distances, and strength make them worthless and no amount of fire in the world is gonna change that fact on a coyote. Ive seen 35 pound coyotes stand up with a 90 pound dog on their throat and flip the dog to its back.

Oh I do agree with there Dan, horses for courses we often use this term as you do need a bigger dog for a bigger job! What I'm trying to imply is there are small dogs that punch well above there weight, I just used a whippet as an example that they really can surprise you! I just wondered how a 25-26-27-28 inch dog could fair give that a dog of this size would be ideal to take our fastest and most taxing quarry the hare! In the states it seems a lot of your dogs over there seem to be 30" plus more. I don't believe we really call for dogs that big here in MOST cases and that is why we don't often use the larger dogs here, Perhaps I'm wrong but for use over here I just couldn't see the point of an import myself, I just feel a lot of our guys are in love with the "exotic" and they don't look at what we have here - If American deerhound hybrids, staghounds, what ever you call them are superior to the lines here its only down to the people who have been working them and not to a ban in my eyes. Thanks for reply

Oh I do agree with there Dan, horses for courses we often use this term as you do need a bigger dog for a bigger job! What I'm trying to imply is there are small dogs that punch well above there weight, I just used a whippet as an example that they really can surprise you! I just wondered how a 25-26-27-28 inch dog could fair give that a dog of this size would be ideal to take our fastest and most taxing quarry the hare! In the states it seems a lot of your dogs over there seem to be 30" plus more. I don't believe we really call for dogs that big here in MOST cases and that is why we don't often use the larger dogs here, Perhaps I'm wrong but for use over here I just couldn't see the point of an import myself, I just feel a lot of our guys are in love with the "exotic" and they don't look at what we have here - If American deerhound hybrids, staghounds, what ever you call them are superior to the lines here its only down to the people who have been working them and not to a ban in my eyes. Thanks for reply. And that's the very thing is int it working testing culling best ta best not been done with the deerhound in the uk for a very long time and I ain't on about chasing a few long ears through three foot of heather those animals Those American fellas use are totally far superior.atb bunnys.