Dh/gh Bitch

I hope ya keep this thread goin. I'm interested to see what ya find. Ive had my buddy's male dog that I bred at my place the last week just havin some fun with him. He is a stud to say the least. I don't know if I have a good picture of him these days or not but I will try and find a pic of him when he was a youngster. He stands bout 31 inch tall and weighs bout 100 plus. Monster but he can kinda run for a big dog.

sounds like a beast of a dog, for me I'm not after something that big if I'm honest anything 24 tts and above will do, but my preference is maybe 26/27" for an all rounder. Were hoping the deerhound blood might throw a broken coat and add some of that classic deerhound laid-back nature, as well as a nice large chest. I think deerhounds would do very well on coyotes over there they have a decent nose too for a running dog and are brave dogs.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The light brindle is a deerhound/greyhound first cross and the dark brindle is a mix of border and bearded collie with greyhound. The collie cross is quite small at 24 inches but she has a half decent

Here is a fine example of a coyote dog. He is owned by a guy originally from over yalls way. He is a littermate to my female and a very good dog. Stands bout 29 inches and weighs bout 95 pounds. He ca

I looked at that thread cuz I had never seen it before. I can assure all of you there are plenty of culls being bred over here. I look at some of the shit people keep and I just shake my head. Lil sni

Posted Images

I should emagine he wants a lurcher that has boundless stamminer along with a very good nose that can hunt up and catch the pray he hunts for

your right we do want boundless stamina!!! but I really dont want hunting up to be honest im a lamping man, but if you did it would certainly add that, Im after a solid all rounder and one thing hounds would add to go with it are is strong, driven, tough and have a great working frame.
And stubborness ha..I think your crazy doing that cross especially for lamping..cant see any hound adding anything to a well bred lurcher..but best of luck with it ?
  • Like 1

I should emagine he wants a lurcher that has boundless stamminer along with a very good nose that can hunt up and catch the pray he hunts for

your right we do want boundless stamina!!! but I really dont want hunting up to be honest im a lamping man, but if you did it would certainly add that, Im after a solid all rounder and one thing hounds would add to go with it are is strong, driven, tough and have a great working frame.
And stubborness ha..I think your crazy doing that cross especially for lamping..cant see any hound adding anything to a well bred lurcher..but best of luck with it

ha ha yeah a few people think they open up etc but never had that problem, My uncle has done this cross before with a straight greyhound to a fellhound here was one of the half crosses 20 odd years ago

fell%20hound%20cross%20on%20hare_zpslvax

• Like 1

Its too bad yall cant get dogs from us. Id love to help you out with this project. My kinda dogs for sure except Id use one of our coyote greyhounds and are coyote hounds.

I have seen those coyote greyhounds on here I think someone posted a video with an old boy on in who kept them. To be honest there is plenty of good British stock around - just a case of finding the right ones. ATB S2H

I guess some would say white tail deer but you aren't gonna find a handful of dogs that could take one regularly and that is illegal so not being bred for.
legality aside, what makes them so hard to catch that only a handful of dogs can get them regularly?

I hope ya keep this thread goin. I'm interested to see what ya find. Ive had my buddy's male dog that I bred at my place the last week just havin some fun with him. He is a stud to say the least. I don't know if I have a good picture of him these days or not but I will try and find a pic of him when he was a youngster. He stands bout 31 inch tall and weighs bout 100 plus. Monster but he can kinda run for a big dog.

sounds like a beast of a dog, for me I'm not after something that big if I'm honest anything 24 tts and above will do, but my preference is maybe 26/27" for an all rounder. Were hoping the deerhound blood might throw a broken coat and add some of that classic deerhound laid-back nature, as well as a nice large chest. I think deerhounds would do very well on coyotes over there they have a decent nose too for a running dog and are brave dogs.

His littermate sister was my gyp and she stood 27 ats and weighed about 80 pounds. I don't think the pure deerhounds would be any good at all on them. You would need some greyhound in there or else ya aint gonna catch much.

Edited by Dan Edwards

Its too bad yall cant get dogs from us. Id love to help you out with this project. My kinda dogs for sure except Id use one of our coyote greyhounds and are coyote hounds.

I have seen those coyote greyhounds on here I think someone posted a video with an old boy on in who kept them. To be honest there is plenty of good British stock around - just a case of finding the right ones. ATB S2H
I guess some would say white tail deer but you aren't gonna find a handful of dogs that could take one regularly and that is illegal so not being bred for.
legality aside, what makes them so hard to catch that only a handful of dogs can get them regularly?

Speed and the ground they live on is wide open and rough as can be. Its just real tough to catch em is all. I'm not sayin all areas cuz I'm sure some boys have some luck but here where I live Ive never seen a dog that could really do it. None even came close to be honest not once they really decided to run.

Edited by Dan Edwards
  • Like 1

Speed and the ground they live on is wide open and rough as can be. Its just real tough to catch em is all. I'm not sayin all areas cuz I'm sure some boys have some luck but here where I live Ive never seen a dog that could really do it. None even came close to be honest not once they really decided to run.
wonder if they are quicker than roe or red deer on rough ground,

I wouldn't have a clue of course. All I know is when they decide to run a fast track dog would struggle to stay with one and it wouldn't take long and it would be broke. Prolly one run on frozen chisel would do them in.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a clue of course. All I know is when they decide to run a fast track dog would struggle to stay with one and it wouldn't take long and it would be broke. Prolly one run on frozen chisel would do them in.

sounds like blackbuck I think there called Walsh he hunted them in india, He wrote about them in Lurchers and Longdogs I remember him mention these deer that he just couldnt get close to for a course reckons they where unbelievable quick. If a track dog couldn't get near them they must have a turn of speed about them for sure.