Permissions... To Many?

How many permissions is enough? Apologies those looking for there first, legitimate question.

Just a thought I had a moment ago as I ask for another reference from one of my land owners. I have 5 at the moment, 4 I visit regularly, 1 I've not been for a while, like 6 months and I know very well how lucky I am but I've worked hard for those, but, I'm always on the look out for new ones and the possibility has arisen of perhaps two others.

My issue is and it's a good issue to have, am I, or we, spreading ourselves to thin with more than 2-3? After all, as much as this is a hobby to us, a land owner sees it as a service. And if a job isn't getting done well enough, i.e. Not visiting enough due to so many other permissions... you catch my drift... Get someone else in.

My landowners always ask how I'm getting on, to which I say yeah great, got this that and the other, even if I haven't, but it's just something I've thought about.

So, is to many permissions actually a detriment?

• Like 5

Depends how busy you are in your professional life I suppose Jamie. How often can you get out to do a thorough job of pest control on all of them, with all other demands on your time?

I have four good rabbit perms here and that's enough that I can get to and get around with regularity. One is a vast arable farm of crops about 16 miles from my home, one is a couple of meadows next to a large cornfield about 12 miles away, the other is a woodland and pasture-land next to corn and barley fields 15 miles away. Another is a beautiful country hotel with vast gardens and lawns that the rabbits are always out chewing plants, flowers and digging up the prized grass! That's about 7 miles away.

Always plenty of rabbits generally. But it means I will never be short of anywhere to go shooting/hunting and I can visit at least two of them within a couple of miles in the same area if one proves not so lively on the session. I get good bags and the farmers/gardeners are happy. That's a result for all of us, I'd say.

Happy New Year mate.

Simon

• Like 3

I've got 3 that I'm pleased to have so, I'm not actively looking for more at the moment but, I wouldn't pass on another if it fell into my lap.

I get on well with all of the land owners and, they're generally happy for me to come and go as I please. However, I always let them know in advance when I'll be there and, I give them an update afterwards.

The rugby club is the only one that really ever pressed for progress.

It's a 30 odd acre site with a few other sports and social clubs. My permission was granted by the committee and, they're strict with the times that I can shoot.

.....they just wanted me to stop the rabbits from digging holes in the pitches.

It took a few weeks initially but, I managed to shoot a few and push the rest out to the boundaries.

Now, I just pop down occasionally to keep on top of it. They're happy with that :thumbs:

I would imagine a lot of it depends on location as well Rez?

I've been extremely fortunate to have met Jimmy & Sean that have been really kind enough to have invited me to shoot with them on their perms (top, top guys whom I'm fortunate to be able to call friends). So I've had the opportunity to see how to go about shooting on a perm professionally. I'm now hopefully going to look for a permission in the first half of the year when I can find time to do it properly. With me been a total beginner I wouldn't feel confident having anymore than one, at least till I've learnt a hell of a lot more and honed the different techniques needed.

So I suppose to answer your question Rez for me I would say as many as you can feel confident you can carry out the job professionally and keep the public perceptions of humane vermin control positive and not bring it into disrepute with poor upkeep or praxis.

The small club I belong to has just lost the shooting rights on the main permission. Received a letter on Saturday from the secretary telling that a haulier company had bought most of the land at the orchard perm, as they have with a lot of adjacent farms, and have a strong interest in commercial, driven shooting. In view of this they do not wish to have 'outsiders' on the land and will carry out their own vermin control.

To be fair the perm hasn't been shooting well for over 2 years, noticed a influx of mixy, and I have no doubt RHVD has had a hand too. I personally haven't fired a pellet at a live animal for almost 2 years. I have been keeping abreast of 'kills' and it has not improved at all.

Finding new perms in the Kent/East Sussex area is unlikely to say the least, and it would seem farmers/land owners have realised they can now make good money from leasing their land for commercial shooting.

• Like 1

I`ve four large permissions and find that to be perfect for my style of hunting, which is static, or from natural hides as much as possible.

I tend to find the vermin abundant spots, ie sitty trees, ponds etc, etc and shoot accordingly.

To shoot one spot over and over again will make the vermin or game extremely shy and cautious, so taking in mind weekend is the only available time at the moment, each shoot is visited once a month, sometimes twice then it is rested from shooting.

atb Mark.

• Like 1

They come and they go according to the seasons ive 14 farms on the sat nav at the moment but it can and should go up during the winter but most get four hits during the season and thats it but if theres a problem during the year im only a phone call away

I have only got back into live quarry shooting last year after a long lay off and have one perm of 250 acres with airgun and shotgun shooting. It offers me pigeon/crow with both gun types and rabbits via the rifle.

If possible, I would love a good rat perm and a woodland shoot and I would be more than happy with that. I have a meeting tomorrow for a rat perm so fingers crossed on that.

Phil

• Like 5

I have only got back into live quarry shooting last year after a long lay off and have one perm of 250 acres with airgun and shotgun shooting. It offers me pigeon/crow with both gun types and rabbits via the rifle.

If possible, I would love a good rat perm and a woodland shoot and I would be more than happy with that. I have a meeting tomorrow for a rat perm so fingers crossed on that.

Phil

Good luck with that Phil :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well the rat perm is looking good. I met with the dairy farmer today and invited to go on Friday to look around the farm but I got the thumbs up plus he said the farm across the road has loads of rats so an introduction is on the cards for that one as well.

Just need a woodland shoot and I will be totally made up.

Phil

• Like 3

I've got 9 rez but 2 of the perms are tagged onto existing ones so 7 in reality!

with some of them being equine and not to big its easy to keep on top of them, they call if there getting a problem.

and i lose a couple for a while when the shooting season starts, they all come into there own at different times of the year..

and all within 5 miles of home :thumbs:

but always on the lookout for more :hunter:

atb si

Well the rat perm is looking good. I met with the dairy farmer today and invited to go on Friday to look around the farm but I got the thumbs up plus he said the farm across the road has loads of rats so an introduction is on the cards for that one as well.

Just need a woodland shoot and I will be totally made up.

Phil

Well done Phil, happy days ???

• Like 1