Horse Pannel Cage Trap

What's the dementions of the trap? To most on this side of the pond, that trap is two small and narrow, to catch fox successfully.

Not to say, it wouldn't, and obviously it works well for some of the species you have in the states.

Keep looking and keep struggling with the concept. As people on here will testify, I tried something very similar to try to catch my chicken killer. Trouble I found, I think, is that the fox was able to walk round and round and didn't like the mesh. As we speak I have mine set again with 2 pieces of venison as a lead in and then a pheasant carcass as the trigger. 2 days so far. Looking at yours I'm not sure how you lure the quarry. Mind you I'm a thick Jock as most will tell you. Jok.

What's the dementions of the trap? To most on this side of the pond, that trap is two small and narrow, to catch fox successfully.

Not to say, it wouldn't, and obviously it works well for some of the species you have in the states.

10"wide 20" tall 36" long . And your right ! Now your fox over there are much bigger than the ones over here !I was talking to a trapper who moved to the UK for a spell and he said the red fox over there are more like small coyotes than large fox ! Their especially large around Wales from what I see. But cages over their are mainly used for Grey fox,bobcats,raccoon and possum. For animals like coyotes,red fox and such foot holds are preferred.

The tall narrow cage is what's called the California Style . The principle is that animals would prefer to go through a tall narrow opening than a short narrow one. Which makes sense, you ever notice a trail going through some thickets ? Its usually real narrow but about as tall as the animal.

Keep looking and keep struggling with the concept. As people on here will testify, I tried something very similar to try to catch my chicken killer. Trouble I found, I think, is that the fox was able to walk round and round and didn't like the mesh. As we speak I have mine set again with 2 pieces of venison as a lead in and then a pheasant carcass as the trigger. 2 days so far. Looking at yours I'm not sure how you lure the quarry. Mind you I'm a thick Jock as most will tell you. Jok.

try backing it up into a bush or something where he can only see the opening. Next put some grass leaves,hay or what ever the ground is normaly covers with on the cage bottom so it looks more natural. Alsoid take some of feathers from a chicken or what ever and speed them around the entrance like something got murdered there lol. Regardless I doubut your just gonna get him on the first night. Especially with a cage.

Now something you may find interesting is some observations for the old wolfers from over here. Wolfers, by the by ,is a term we use for the old government trappers who would go trap live stock killing wolves in the western states,but once the wolf numbers went down they moved over to coyotes .

Any how one observation was that many a sheep killing coyote or wolf could not be caught where he was killing ! Many times everything from urine,bait,LDC,gland lure,snares,flat sets ,dirt holes,M44's sect would not catch that killer inside the killing area or close too it. Many times the killer would be caught miles away . One story I read was the coyote was traveling 17 miles from the den to the lambing field where the killing was happening,but that same coyote would pass threw five other lambing field and not kill. The observation was that the coyotes know their wrong when they get to that killing area. Killing is the only thing on their mind the minute they get in that area! You could have a hot female coyote in heat tied up in the middle of that killing area ready to breed and he wouldn't give her a second glance! He's going to kill a lamb or calf or chicken ,eat it other or take it back to the den.

Sorry for the drawn out explanation but I figured you'd find this interesting in your current situation

• Like 2