well since my move to canada,hunting has improved for the table fare.

we have a serious problem with wild boars.these things are the hardest damn thing i have ever hunted.

here is a few pics of what i have plugged

this was good eating,prime weight of around 150lbs

IMG_1898_zpsxshmmo5q.jpg

shot this 80lber then 15 mins later dropped a nice 4 point whitetail

image1%206_zpspoxgisom.jpg

i shot this sow,she weighed in over 350lbs.i thought she was a baby boar because she was next to a 500lb boar

rifle is a VZ58 in 7.62x39.this is my goto pig rifle as it tends to drop em right there.i was using a 223 but i was getting too many runners

IMG_2116_zpsy089xblu.jpg

• Like 2

Good pics mate any pics of the terrain?

hopefully this link works

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pleasantdale+sask&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjPhdb8srbRAhWC14MKHcf0AJEQ_AUICigD&biw=1366&bih=657#tbm=isch&q=aerial+photos+farmland+sask

if it doesnt google 'aerial photos farmland sask'

the land where i hunt is a mixed of crop fields,big pieces of bush(forest known to us english) and swamps.

the pigs keep to the swamps then venture onto the farmers fields for feed.

• 4 weeks later...

i shot this sow,she weighed in over 350lbs.i thought she was a baby boar because she was next to a 500lb boar

rifle is a VZ58 in 7.62x39.this is my goto pig rifle as it tends to drop em right there.i was using a 223 but i was getting too many runners

What is your gun?

why you ask?

I am sorry. I from Russia. In Russia we do not hunting with Kalash. It is bad form.

Very interesting to know that in Canada AK is a good gun)))

How did you get it? From tower or in ambush?

I am so sorry for my english.

Edited by Dmitry Ivanov

why you ask?

I am sorry. I from Russia. In Russia we do not hunting with Kalash. It is bad form.

Very interesting to know that in Canada AK is a good gun)))

How did you get it? From tower or in ambush?

I am so sorry for my english.

dont worry about your english,its good.

in a field as it was just walking around.i bumped into it.

other pigs i shot have been ambushed over bait.

we have lots over here.

i have photos of 10 or more,thats why i bought the Kalash LOL

Nice hunting spot.

I always shoot them with bigger calibers here and with bolt actions or levers but if they're a pest there that rifle of yours must be a pig slayer really handy.

Apart from pigs and whites, would you mind telling some more info on other abundant quarry there?

Cheers

Nice hunting spot.

I always shoot them with bigger calibers here and with bolt actions or levers but if they're a pest there that rifle of yours must be a pig slayer really handy.

Apart from pigs and whites, would you mind telling some more info on other abundant quarry there?

Cheers

i first bought a Heckler & Koch Sl8 in 223 just for pig hunting,but i found the 223 just didnt stop them.

so i seen that VZ58 was a non restricted rifle( you can hunt with) and only $1000,plus $70 for the magwell conversion(so i could fit AR15 mags in)

and 7.62x39 ammo is damn cheap as hell.the rifle weighs nothing also.

all the pigs i shoot are no more than 70 yds,DRT 9 out of 10 times

there is an abundance of elk here,where i hunt there is three herds with somewhere around the 400 head in the 8 sq miles

moose are also plentiful,

mule deer are making a return,we have had a few bad winters,so the deer numbers in general got hit hard.

antelope in the southern part of the province

bears,brown and black,hunted mostly for the trophy fur but also the meat is eaten by a few

geese and ducks.....from the end of august til end of september the sky is just black with birds.i am on a major flight line from the north

so the birds flight through here.its just amazing the sheer volume day and night.

jack rabbits (hares) are around.

cottontail/bush rabbits are around,but you dont see the numbers like you would back in the UK.

prairie chickens/grouse (3 or 4 different varieties) are plentiful in the thick bush areas.

coyotes are everywhere

wolves are around,problematic in certain areas of the province.i have never seen one but i encountered 4 wolves howling around me

one day when i was in thick bush hunting deer,i got from there!!

beavers,OMG is a battle with those,trap em shoot em,they keep coming back causing massive destruction.

the odd red fox,fox tend not to get shot as the keep the mice down.

raccoons,shoot on sight

muskrats get trapped/shot for the pelts.

there is other little critters that the trappers go after for the pelts.

i think that just abouts covers it

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 1