Coterminous Renewal

In the meantime, I have found out that I'm not allowed to possess expanding ammunition with a temporary permit. Neither the firearms department or my FEO mentioned anything about this to me. In fact, I was told I could continue to use my firearms but I would not be allowed to purchase ammo. I knew this anyway. How on earth though, can I continue to use my rifle if I'm not allowed to possess expanding ammunition?

Could someone tell me if this is a fact, or I have just misread it? I know ignorance of the law is no excuse, and it's up to me to know the law surrounding firearms but, if this is true, not only do i know feel utterly stupid and a complete novice but, I have no idea what i'm going to do with my ammo before this coming Sunday. I will check again with my FEO tomorrow but, I thought I would post this to see if anyone else may have experienced this.

I have a .22-250 with Federal Shok 55gr soft point and Norma 50 gr ballistic tip. I also have a .17hmr with CCI 20gr hollow point.

You are quite correct, you have to park your section 5 ammo with an rfd when you have been issued with a sec 7 temporary permit. My mate has just done the same and I will be looking at the same debacle next year.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you so much Walshie, much appreciated indeed. Think I'll try the Sports Man Gun Centre on Saturday.

Same here mate. I would have held on to them for you, but alas I don't have those calibres either. Sods law eh?   That sounds like quite a poor show from the South Wales Force. I have only ever had

It's the same here before u surrender your old licence it makes sense to buy the most bullets you can hold as the renewal process takes that long

In the meantime, I have found out that I'm not allowed to possess expanding ammunition with a temporary permit. Neither the firearms department or my FEO mentioned anything about this to me. In fact, I was told I could continue to use my firearms but I would not be allowed to purchase ammo. I knew this anyway. How on earth though, can I continue to use my rifle if I'm not allowed to possess expanding ammunition?

Could someone tell me if this is a fact, or I have just misread it? I know ignorance of the law is no excuse, and it's up to me to know the law surrounding firearms but, if this is true, not only do i know feel utterly stupid and a complete novice but, I have no idea what i'm going to do with my ammo before this coming Sunday. I will check again with my FEO tomorrow but, I thought I would post this to see if anyone else may have experienced this.

I have a .22-250 with Federal Shok 55gr soft point and Norma 50 gr ballistic tip. I also have a .17hmr with CCI 20gr hollow point.

You are quite correct, you have to park your section 5 ammo with an rfd when you have been issued with a sec 7 temporary permit. My mate has just done the same and I will be looking at the same debacle next year.

Thankyou Stillair. You should be ok because if i am correct, the law is changing soon regarding expanding ammo. Walshie quoted this as well and i definitely think it will be a great welcoming amendment.

Well....My FEO came to visit me today. Really nice guy. I took him to see my guns and Security arrangements and then I mentioned to him that I don't have any ammo because I was unaware until last Thursday, that I could not keep expanding ammo on a Section 7 (Temp Permit) He had no idea what I was talking about and he said he had never heard of it. :huh: I showed him the BASC magazine and told him about the conversation I had with BASC.

After the visit and just before he left, he informed me he needed to find out himself and he would ring me back today or tomorrow to let me know what he had found out.

:shok: I'm just lost for words now.

Well....My FEO came to visit me today. Really nice guy. I took him to see my guns and Security arrangements and then I mentioned to him that I don't have any ammo because I was unaware until last Thursday, that I could not keep expanding ammo on a Section 7 (Temp Permit) He had no idea what I was talking about and he said he had never heard of it. :huh: I showed him the BASC magazine and told him about the conversation I had with BASC.

After the visit and just before he left, he informed me he needed to find out himself and he would ring me back today or tomorrow to let me know what he had found out.

:shok: I'm just lost for words now.

Amazing. My FEO didn't know and still doesn't believe expanding bullets for reloading count towards your total allowance. Look on the bright side though, not having the ammo and he doesn't know the law is a lot better than having it and he does. :thumbs:

:yes: Exactly Walshie... I said to him I didn't have the ammo because I didn't want to be in the position, where you ask me what am I doing with expanding ammo in my possession.I also stressed it's a good job I didn't go and buy ammo prior to my licence expiring. The good news is, he told me they have made me a priority so, fingers crossed, I should get my certificate soon. Not building my hopes up though.

It will be interesting to see what he says if he rings me tomorrow. I wonder how many other people and, FEO's out there, are not aware of this law as well???

On the plus side mate, your FEO must now be convinced that you are one hell of a good chap that keeps up to date with the law and complies accordingly. :angel: . This has to be a positive to take from the whole debacle. :thumbs:

Edited by Tremo

On the plus side mate, your FEO must now be convinced that you are one hell of a good chap that keeps up to date with the law and complies accordingly. :angel: . This has to be a positive to take from the whole debacle. :thumbs:

Thankyou Tremo

Definitely a positive. Can't wait for the law to change, very soon hopefully :yes:

If I hadn't have known and he didn't know, I could have been out one night and maybe got stopped by someone who did know???

He was going to ring me today to give me an update on what he found out. I haven't heard anything yet. I already know the answer though but it would have been nice to have the call.

Still waiting for my temp permit to come through the door. I'll give them by close of play tomorrow. If I haven't received it when I get home, I will ring them Thursday and see what's going on. Not holding my breath there especially after the last attempts to try and get through to South Wales Police. However, I was informed by my FEO, they are moving Offices and that is having playing a big part.

I would still like to have my temp permit though so I can at least go out with the shotgun.